INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moved files, now have 2 copies of everything in library, HELP?  (Read 1378 times)

darryl

Moved files, now have 2 copies of everything in library, HELP?
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »

I moved all of my movie files onto new HDD's for re-organization. I pointed my library to the new folder locations and removed the pointers for the old locations in auto-import.

Now I have 2 copies of everything in my library. I added a comment field in my database for 600 files so I really DO NOT want to delete my library as I am afraid all of my notes will be lost.

I have even modifies my auto-import to EXCLUDE the old folders but they are still in my library.

Note: The old locations are still valid files, possibly I should re-name the folders??? Just don't want to delete anything until I get a proper backup done.

darryl

Re: Moved files, now have 2 copies of everything in library, HELP?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »

Ok, I re-named the old folders and the library cleaned itself up properly but there has to be a better way.

Auto-import should have ignored the files locations after I deleted the pointers, and especially after I selected EXCLUDE.

Am I misunderstanding how the import function works or is there a box I should have checked/unchecked?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:22:37 pm »

The folders listed or excluded in auto-import only govern what will be imported into the library in the future; changing auto-import settings generally has no effect on what's already in the library (with the exception of the "fix broken links" option which will remove library entries with broken links).

To migrate your files to a new drive or folder structure without duplicates and without losing metadata either:

1) Change your auto-import settings to watch the new drive/folders, and then use MC's "Rename, Move, Copy" function to move the files to the correct locations so the library database knows where they are.

-or-

2) Turn off auto-import temporarily --> Move or copy the files to the new location manually --> Use the Rename, Move, Copy function to "update" the library's stored path for the files by "finding and replace" the old drive letter/folders with the new one. --> set auto-import to only watch the new folders, and then turn it back on.

darryl

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16:09 pm »

Thank you for the help! I appreciate you taking time to answer my question.
Pages: [1]   Go Up