INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scan all drives  (Read 2711 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Scan all drives
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:15:01 am »

The first thing that needs to happen is that Media Center NEVER EVER tries to scan all drives attached to your computer all by itself, for all media that it supports.
That thing should never have been on a timer.

If you are going to include a first-time setup wizard, there has to be a one-button option to skip it.

I would say that the important areas to cover, in no order are:
  • Explain and configure auto-import in as simple a way as possible. I like the suggestion of changing library to "database" or "catalog" and making it clear that you are only indexing the files.
  • Configure and test at least one audio device.
  • Maybe enable and configure Media Network?
  • Allow the user to select whether they want to use the program for audio-only, audio and video, and select a couple of default views.
  • Perhaps configure Media Center's scale, or at least inform the user that MC supports DPI scaling. There is a major bug with DPI scaling which needs to be corrected first though.

Noire is the only retina-aware skin that Media Center ships with, and possibly the only retina-aware skin at all?
I would not suggest that you offer up skin selection in the program introduction.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Re: Scan all drives
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:48:39 am »

I have to agree that the "Scanning All Drives" should never be automatic.

I am an experienced computer user and had used a variety of Media Centre like programs  (Never Ever Itunes or Windows MC which I hated).  One of the ones I used the most before discovering JRiver was Helium Music Manager.  I had used this for years and was quite happy with it.  But it was getting slower and slower and became unbearable so I went searching and found MC (Which I purchased after about 12 hours!).

But after installing (Version 17 was where I started I think) when I saw that "Scanning All Drives" in the lower right I did a double take and like another poster did Shut it down to read more about it.  I store all my media on a NAS server and I think there are a lot of people especially here who likely do the same.  So scanning all local drives would just find junk and sample files that are not actually part of my "Library" and would just have to be searched out and deleted.

Carl.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 04:22:41 am »

On side note the Auto-Import in general is a scary thing with those options below which alters whole database not just files being imported.

Just tried once again and I had fix broken links set to NO and it still removed things that were moved or located in network drive currently not powered... At least there should be some tool tips explanation or something what exactly those option will do and clearly indicate that these changes will affect whole database

tony22

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:09:02 am »

+1. This is one area that bothers me as well. I also have my audio and video libraries on a NAS. No need to do anything with my local drives. But even if it were able to be pointed to the desired location I absolutely do not like that it defaults to doing things that alter the database, and often results in file timestamps being changed. I have my NAS also set up to back up to a standalone eSATA drive (yes, belts and suspenders but it beats having to re-rip my entire collection). Once MC mucks with the timestamps it completely messes up the way the ability of my backup routine to work.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:59:35 am »

I don't like the countdown timer either, and have said so before, but I do understand why they do it.  A common user complaint from people less likely to frequent these forums is that they couldn't figure out how to get their files into MC.

To be clear, however, your trepidation is unwarranted:

* The First-Time Import only runs when MC is loaded with a completely blank Library (one that contains no files at all).
* The Import process is non-destructive to the files on disk.

So, the worst possible thing that can happen is that it finds some files you didn't want in MC.  Then, you just have to remove the files from the Library.  Since it only happens when you load MC with a completely empty Library, if this happens to you, you can simply select all of the files and remove them at once.  Or, if you are using a completely default Library (after a new installation or something) then you can just clear the Library, which is even easier.

Further information:
* http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
* http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Manager

As I said, I'm not a huge fan of the countdown timer.  I think the countdown timer itself causes "The Fear" you are feeling, rather than what is actually happening.  But, it isn't a huge deal if it actually does the scan.

Lastly, it is worth mentioning that MC's First Time Import scan does not simply scan all of your attached disks for media.  It is, actually, quite a bit more clever than that.  Make a new Library and try it out once or twice and you'll see.  I'm not 100% sure of the exact rule-set it uses, but it looks for files in common places where media is kept by people (smarter than just looking in the User/Music directory though), but does not import locations like C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper and other system locations that many simpler "scan your disks for media" sweeps would pick up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:10:57 pm »

Well first of all, I'd say that the automatic drive scan was really the least of my concerns, just the first thing that needs to go if the new user process is being improved.

To be clear, however, your trepidation is unwarranted:
* The First-Time Import only runs when MC is loaded with a completely blank Library (one that contains no files at all).
* The Import process is non-destructive to the files on disk.
It is more complicated for a first-time user to figure out how to clear the library (an easy process, but not necessarily an obvious one) and leaves a bad first impression if the first thing MC does is scan all drives on the PC—especially if it pulls in images/videos that the user thought they had "hidden away" somewhere.

If it's going to force an automatic scan—and I would prefer that it did not—it should be limited to the system Music/Photos/Videos folders.

While it's easy to miss the cancellation option in the first 45s of launching the program for the first time, it would be difficult to miss the dialog box there if you are looking for a way to import your media.

Just tried once again and I had fix broken links set to NO and it still removed things that were moved or located in network drive currently not powered... At least there should be some tool tips explanation or something what exactly those option will do and clearly indicate that these changes will affect whole database
I've never had that happen. Are you sure it was set to no?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 12:25:34 pm »

If it's going to force an automatic scan—and I would prefer that it did not—it should be limited to the system Music/Photos/Videos folders.

Like I said... I'm not a fan of the countdown.

However, the fact that it looks beyond those folders is, I think, quite important for "novice" users who might be squarely in the target market for MC.  For example: People coming from iTunes because their media library is too big, so they had to move it to an external disk, and iTunes is behaving badly (which it does with large external libraries).

Sure, you can redirect those system folders to point to your external disk, but how many people do you think figure out how to do this and will have done it?  The idea is to just find your stuff.  If it finds stuff you don't need, it isn't a big deal, just delete them from the Library.  But forcing people to understand the filesystem and where things are stored (like all of us do intuitively) in order to even get their stuff imported is, for some people, a major hurdle.

The idea is to make it simple to find all of your stuff.  So, it tries to find all of your stuff, in the places where people usually stick it, without also grabbing a ton of irrelevant system files.

We're nerds, and we might not want it to touch certain filesystem areas because we use those for "special purposes".  I certainly don't use, myself, the automatic first-use scan.  But, I do think this is something far more likely to annoy people who can already handle it (us power users) than those who really need the help.  Most people, I'd guess, would rather it just Find My Stuff and move on to actually using it.

But, I agree, and have agreed from the very beginning, that it should ask, not just countdown and do it.  I think offering the First-Use Scan in an Action Window with a Yes/No that doesn't dismiss until you respond to it would suffice.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »

However, the fact that it looks beyond those folders is, I think, quite important for "novice" users who might be squarely in the target market for MC.  For example: People coming from iTunes because their media library is too big, so they had to move it to an external disk, and iTunes is behaving badly (which it does with large external libraries).
By default, iTunes stores all its media inside the system music folder.

If someone is smart enough to move their iTunes library, which is more complicated than anything in Media Center's import process (how many people figured out that you have to hold down option/alt when launching it?) then they will have no difficulty adding that drive to their auto-import list.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be an option to just have Media Center scan all your drives, I'm saying that it should be an option, not something which happens on its own.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 01:04:18 pm »

I've never had that happen. Are you sure it was set to no?
I'm sure. It has to be said that it did remove only some files from the library and affected only files I would have removed myself also :D

It's just that I have/had tagged that fix broken links to NO and presumed that nothing will then be automatically removed from library. I don't know what was the logic to wipe just those particular files.

But this is a little off topic. Sorry about that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up