INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single Songs marked Complete Albums  (Read 2233 times)

sjs1000

Single Songs marked Complete Albums
« on: October 24, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »

Hello,

My first post so please be gentle. Been working with JRiver for my audio collection for a few months now. I've just scratched the surface with getting a DAC and powered speakers for my PC, plus I am able to stream to a few devices in the house using DLNA and JRemote. So far it's great - really loving this!

I am now trying to get a bit more into library organization/tagging/playlists as a next step.

I have a bunch of songs that are single songs, purchased on iTunes before I knew better, many of which are for the kids. I'm trying to filter them out using the library field "Complete Album" but a fair number of them still show up - and I realized that they are in fact marked as complete albums (Complete Album=1) even though they are single songs from the respective albums.

I've read

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums#Complete_Albums

and according to the criteria, these songs should NOT show up as Complete Albums because in each case the songs are the only songs in the folder (\artist\album\filename structure). I have actually gone out to File Explorer in windows to verify this for at least 3 of the songs. For what it's worth, none are from compilations either.

Am I missing something obvious? Anything else you can recommend to check?

And as I get started, as an additional question, what happens if I have the first two songs off an album? Won't it show as a complete album according to the criteria?

I've also noticed that if I view the metadata of the songs by clicking in the format field, the track# shows 1/16 (for example) so wondering why that data isn't somehow used in the criteria or if I can somehow use it for my own custom field...

Sorry for all the questions! Would appreciate some guidance from anyone that might be able to help.
Scott

sjs1000

Re: Single Songs marked Complete Albums
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:39:06 pm »

So after further experimentation, it appears the following criterion from the "Complete Albums" wiki page linked above is being ignored:

- there are at least 2 files or 10 minutes of audio (the sum of the [Duration] field values >= 10 minutes)

I guess more precisely, it is not being checked or it is not being correctly flagged as FALSE which should make the entire condition FALSE.

The files that are incorrectly showing as complete albums are any files with track #1 in their own directory by themselves, so they fit all the other criteria. They are all < 10 minutes duration.

Changing the file track # to 2 or 0/empty causes the calculation for "Complete Album" to correctly show as false/0/Empty. It looks like I'll just have to set the track # to 0/empty in this case. While I hate to have to lose the metadata for any tracks that are number 1, in the general scheme of things it's not a huge deal (since I don't have the rest of the album anyway) to set to 0.

Sorry if I missed if this is documented somewhere as a known issue; I did search quite a bit before posting. If it is not, it would be nice if the wiki linked above could be updated and/or this could be fixed at some point. (though personally it seems like there might be better criteria for calculating the completeness of an album correctly).

If anyone does not see this same issue or if I'm missing something would appreciate someone calling it out.

Scott

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:07:23 pm »

Hi Scott

I understand your frustration. Unfortunately development for MC 19 has ended, we are led to believe there will no longer be updates as JRMC20 is the new kid on the block, of course posting questions here for JRMC19 still should get your questions answered. I hope you enjoy MC as the premier player it is.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 08:37:49 am »

A single track #1 that's the only file in the folder will be considered a complete album.  This is because that's how single albums appear.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sjs1000

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 03:50:11 pm »

A single track #1 that's the only file in the folder will be considered a complete album.  This is because that's how single albums appear.
Many thanks Matt (and TAO1857) for taking the time to reply/confirm. Just wanted to reiterate though that the wiki says otherwise so probably worth having whoever owns it update that page. The wiki (linked above) said one of the criteria for a complete album was:

- there are at least 2 files or 10 minutes of audio (the sum of the [Duration] field values >= 10 minutes)

Not trying to nitpick; so far I am very happy with the product and have learned from the community here; just wanted to help clear it up for others.

Thanks again for the reply.

Scott

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 07:24:47 pm »

Many thanks Matt (and TAO1857) for taking the time to reply/confirm. Just wanted to reiterate though that the wiki says otherwise so probably worth having whoever owns it update that page. The wiki (linked above) said one of the criteria for a complete album was:

Yeah, I think that was the criteria for a long time.  But we changed it at some point to better handle single albums.

We should update the wiki...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 07:26:22 pm »

We should update the wiki...

I updated it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:29:17 am »

Here's the history entry:

12.0.246 (5/30/07)
7. Changed: An album of one file with a track number of "1" will now be consider complete if it's the only audio file in its directory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up