INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projector LCD misconvergence software correction  (Read 2804 times)

NoDigital

• Recent member
Projector LCD misconvergence software correction
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »

I have a Panasonic projector that appears to have a green misconvergence - On a white cross hatch pattern I can see a 1px green line above the horizontal lines.   This set me thinking - There are a lot of postings about misconvergence issues, particularly on three-lcd style projectors so is it possible to fix the problem in software?   After all, I can fix chromatic aberration (CA) on still images so what about optically fixing the projection?   Misconvergence (I only have mine as an example) is relatively easy I guess with single pixel offsets, but possibly more challenging if its fractional.   Being able to pixel shift a channel would possibly help -  Anyone seen this, tried it or observed an CA correction?    Is it something of value for MC as a 'videophile' option?    I'd quite happily expend some GPU horsepower to have this.

Thanks

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Projector LCD misconvergence software correction
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:22:56 pm »

Most projectors these days will have software correction for misconvergence buried in the menus, so the first thing I'd check would be your manual.

Normally this will be in 1px increments, but some support subpixel adjustments which works, but comes at a cost of high frequency detail. (1080p on a 4K projector, or 720p on a 1080p projector would work well though)

There's no software correction that I am aware of for chromatic aberration though I think it would be an excellent idea.
They are using software correction with the Oculus Rift to get a much better image than would otherwise be possible with such cheap optics, and I think it would greatly improve most projectors too.

There was talk of convergence correction being built into madVR (Red October HQ) a while back, though the project has not been updated for some time now.
I forget whether the current release actually has the feature or not. You might want to search the Doom9 forums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up