INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Major PVR failure last nite...  (Read 1865 times)

adlelare

• World Citizen
Another Major PVR failure last nite...
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:44 am »

had PBS PVR tony bennet scheduled to start at 10:30pm stop at 11:30 pm...luckily HTPC on auto shutdown as 3 hours and 30 minutes later PBS was still being recorded..luckily as i have lost all faith in JRiver to reliably PVR i have greatly reduced my exposure to these failures...Yaobing the "folder" for this PVR was huge 16gb or something like that...as i tried to get through to JRiver last time it is a failure to stop PVR'ing no more and no less... very disappointing, and again these failures for me as i suspect for all users are only discovered by accident and after the fact.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Another Major PVR failure last nite...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 10:48:29 am »

Did you happen to capture a log for this particular event?  If so please forward it to me.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:55:00 am »

Also please email me a copy of this file:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Library\tvrecording.xml

yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:16:25 am »

Yaobing,

if i can yes but don't count on it..as, as i've posted to Jim a couple of times JRiver really needs to implement some sort of automated crash reporting system, you shouldn't have to ask customers with problems to email a crash log to you.. just ask for approval from us to do so upfront (like i believe other software vendors do often as the "customer experience" improvement process) and then you get it automatically and this IMO would be very helpful to you folks as you would all crash reports not just the few that come via you asking, etc...ps also glad to see you now id yourself specifically as a JRiver employee, as i prefer dealing with employees as some other advice i have "gotten" has just been flatout wrong.
Regards.

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:30:47 am »

Yaobing,

a couple of other hints as to what may be going on:

a) while watching TV via MC, the software does "hang" on occasion (you know where you get the spinning wheel) and at times i've had to "close" rather than "contnue" as the hang can go on for minutes (can't recall if it happened last nite or not)

b) at 11:30 every nite i PVR the tonite show (i have reduced PVR'ing to only 1 show at a time, PBS should've stopped in time), but it didn't record last nite

c) as i've stated multiple times, i use a HP 950Q (1st device to be used by JRiver) then followed by a dual tuner HDHR

d) neither WMC or any other program was running at the time on the HTPC

regards.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:26:26 pm »

... as i've posted to Jim a couple of times JRiver really needs to implement some sort of automated crash reporting system, you shouldn't have to ask customers with problems to email a crash log to you...
That won't happen since a lot of crashes aren't MC problems.  Some are.  We don't have the resources to determine which ones are.

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:41:51 pm »

Jim,

<<That won't happen since a lot of crashes aren't MC problems.  Some are.  We don't have the resources to determine which ones are.>

no offense, but i have in my house 3PC's and 4 laptops running either Win 8.1 or Win 7 with all sorts of common software (including WMC, XBMC, ITunes, etc.) and the only one that "crashes" and has done so pretty much on all machines is JRiver, so from my perspective you would likely only get JRiver crash reports from my house.  but again it may be a language thing Yaobing asked for a file from a JRiver directory, that was the kind of thing i was talking about.  anyways, not worth discussing anymore as i will be turning off JRiver PVR.  PS i still like Gizmo and the audio and video (nonPVR)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 04:36:35 pm »

FWIW adlelare, I have no crashes at all with JRiver on 1 JR Media Server (Server 2012R2 also running Active Directory and one or more Hyper-V Virtual Machines), 4 HTPC (W8.1pro), 1 desktop (W8.1pro), 1 laptop (W8.1pro) and 1 W8.1 tablet.

I do OTA ATSC television (on 3 HDHR), movies, audio and photo with MC20.  MC20 is rock solid for me.  BUT all machines are clients of the JR Media Server which is the only one to control the tuners.

However, the big difference and a possible source of trouble for you is the multitude of "media" programs you use, possibly 3 of them competing for TV tuners.

Also, how "fresh" are your Windows installations ?  Given the nice Windows "feature" of self corrupting and balooning the registry over time, compounded by possibly multiple installs and removals of software, your issues might be related to that.

A long time ago, I started a tradition of rebuilding my Windows machines once a year, from a clean Ghost image.  Served me well !

I do not want to piss you off, but to give you an idea of the developpers task of dealing with a very complex program living in an open and complex ecosystem.  Simplification might be your friend !

If you have 3 PCs and 4 laptops, can you afford to start in a simpler fashion ?  Start with a clean machine which is the only one accessing the HDHR and verify correct operation.  Then make it a JR Media Server and connect a clean JR Media Center client machine.  Don't do everything at the same time with unknown state machines !

The issues you have may appear in JRiver but be related to causes external to the program.  It is reasonable for the developpers to request crash logs.

Cheers !

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:46:36 am »

FYI, to try and fix the problem i completely uninstalled win 8.1 and did a complete clean reinstall of win 7 (as i find Win 7 to be more "rock solid" than Win 8.1), with exactly the same software setup, and pretty much the same result. i've been using PC since PC DOS...

(and my setup is pretty standard)  i also run HP950Q via its native software (and it is flawless) and i run HDHR via its native software (and it is flawless).
Pages: [1]   Go Up