INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denon Heos  (Read 6674 times)

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Denon Heos
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:28:53 pm »

If you want better sound, check out the new Denon Heos units.  That and apparently they've got a much more open approach to 3rd party control. 

I'm leaning toward replacing my Sonos units with them.  If just to get out from under Sonos' ridiculous software updates.

• Citizen of the Universe
Denon Heos
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:09:00 pm »

My concern with Heos would be that it seems to be app-based, focused on using streaming services without even offering a PC client, so I don't know how well it might work with Media Center, if you can play to it from MC at all.

This is the biggest issue I've had with MC really. It works great if you are playing to devices physically connected to the computer - especially if you're doing things like splitting a 7.1 sound device into 4 stereo zones, but it doesn't do sync well, and I've never been able to get it working well with wireless devices.

Bill Kearney

• Galactic Citizen
Denon Heos
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:22 pm »

I'm no expert on the Heos, just tossing out that it's out there now.  That and Denon's been pretty good about providing 3rd party interface info for their gear. 

As for syncing it's no small challenge, even with directly connected gear.  The Denon units are capable of joining zones.  Don't know how well that would tie into a MC setup. 

csimon

Re: Denon Heos
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 05:41:23 am »

My concern with Heos would be that it seems to be app-based, focused on using streaming services without even offering a PC client, so I don't know how well it might work with Media Center, if you can play to it from MC at all.

It plays from DLNA servers, but I don't know if it can act as a renderer.

This system actually looks like a Sonos beater IMO if it can grab everyone's attention! (It has Android 2+ and iOS 5+ apps too - yes, an app in this day and age that has been upgraded to work with iOS8 but is STILL compatible with IOS5 and iPad Gen1s and iPod touch 3/4, which can be obtained at very reasonable prices second-hand now - who would have thought such a thing, surely remote apps are really complicated things that require powerful graphical engines and processing that can only work with the very latest OS's and devices??). I also like the fact that it can use your existing wired network.  It's very expensive though, especially to kit out your whole home, and that's the concern I have about buying into any expensive proprietary system that you rely on, that things break or become unavailable or stop being updated...

csimon

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 06:21:23 am »

Yes, the system is a DMR so can be controlled from MC on a PC.  http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2412 Although I think the description is a little ambiguous and I don't know if what they're describing should be a DMP rather than a separate DMC and DMR.

mone

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:46:24 am »

If you want better sound, check out the new Denon Heos units.  That and apparently they've got a much more open approach to 3rd party control. 

I'm leaning toward replacing my Sonos units with them.  If just to get out from under Sonos' ridiculous software updates.

I like Denon HEOS but consider it is just like Sonos. If you want some better result you should switch to open platform like AllPlay or Play-Fi. I found some new gadgets in this post, which gather useful information about wifi wireless music adapter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up