INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion split  (Read 778 times)

balky

• Junior Woodchuck
Discussion split
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:05:39 am »

In my opinion, many (or most) of the postings above are already for at least semi advanced users who know what they want... unless I am misunderstanding the topic of course...

Not sure how easy (or difficult) it might be to re-write the setup wizard, but I think what people are asking for is something like the following:

- After accepting / agreeing to license terms and condition ask if you need MC for audio only, video only or both,

- Depending on the response from above ask for the path to the directory (or directories) for each type of media... i.e one wizard step for each media type... music, movies, tv shows, kid-movies, photos... etc...

- Many people store metadata and video files in a directory in which most of the time, the directory name is actually the movie name, and the actual movie file is sometimes named track01.mkv or stored in a sub directory Video_TS,  try asking if folder name is the same as movie name

- Ask if metadata already exists in the same directory as media and provide the option to use this or scrape the internet for new metadata, (really no use scrapping the internet when what you need is already available)

- Ask for default video / sound output card (or cards) and allow the option to choose HD audio bitstreaming or not

- Ask if using a fixed IP address or DHCP,

- Show a summary page of what has been selected, and click finish to complete setup,

If correctly done, MC should do its thing in the background and at the end, fanarts in movie folders should never show up as photos for example, and much lesser tagging will need to be done manually...

I think associating MC as default program for file types tends to create some confusion... I'm not an expert and can't tell if there will be a way to make MC focus only on the directories specified for each media type instead of scanning the entire system and trying to figure out what is what...

All of the above might not be very easy to implement, but if done, it means any newbie can install MC and have the basics running within 5 to 10 minutes...

There will definitely be better ideas, but I think the above comes a bit close to what people are asking... i.e. the current style of setup needs to be overhauled...

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up