INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark as Played/Not Played does not change [Last Played]  (Read 2546 times)

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Mark as Played/Not Played does not change [Last Played]
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:30:03 am »

Looking at this thread to have Audiobook Playlists not play from the first chapter, but rather from where you left off:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93081.0

My immediate thought was to change the Playlist to a Smartlist and Modify Results to Sort by some form of Last Played.  Testing the Expression:
Code: [Select]
if(isequal([Last Played], never played, 1), 1, [Last Played])I did not get the results I was expecting, and I realized it was because many of the Files were "played" by using Library Tools -> Mark as Played.

I dug up this old thread:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84964.msg588449#msg588449  It looks like this was a conscious choice based only on feedback from Glynor; however, I don't think it makes sense or was the right call.  I would rather have Mark as Played set Last Played to the current time stamp, and Mark as Not Played set Last Played to never played. 

His argument was that if cleared, you can't undo it.  However, you can use Ctrl+Z to Undo the change if caught right away (I tested).  And if you do want to change it later, you still will have some form of a time stamp in Last Played.  To me, that makes more sense than leaving a Mark as Played File with a Last Played = never played status. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Mark as Played/Not Played does not change [Last Played]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:47:23 am »

Last Played doesn't control Bookmarking.

One has nothing to do with the other.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:42 am »

FWIW, though...

I don't care about SETTING a Last Played when you do Mark as Played. That's fine.  I cared about clearing an existing one when you do Mark as New.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

connersw

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:55:50 am »

I didn't mention anything regarding Bookmarking.  I'm not sure how that is relevant.  

Can you please explain why Mark as not Played sets Last Played to never played is a bad thing?  Maybe if I understood your use case, it would make more sense to me.  

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:58 am »

I thought this was intentional back when the option was added?
The reason being that [Bookmark] and [Number Plays] are what's used for the Watched() status, and not [Last Played]

It may be useful to reset the "watched" status of a video while still retaining the "last played" information.

I don't care about SETTING a Last Played when you do Mark as Played. That's fine.  I cared about clearing an existing one when you do Mark as New.
+1

connersw

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 03:45:55 pm »

As I wrote in my first post, I realize it was intentional based on Glynor's feedback; however, I don't think it was the right decision.  Having a file marked as Not Played, but having a time stamp in Last Played does not seem logical to me or pass the common sense test.  His original reasoning was that you can't Undo, but that is not correct. 

Perhaps instead of just giving it a +1, could you please explain a use case you have where it is beneficial?  I cannot think of one; however, I can think of many where it is detrimental. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »

When I'm rewatching a TV series I clear the played flag first so I can use it to track my progress. Its still nice to see however when I watched it (or even some individual episodes) last before that, its always an interesting tidbit.
[Number Plays] only serves this one purpose for me, watched or not watched, and occasionally gets reset when circumstance require it. I still have played the file before, and I like seeing when that was, personally.

If all your complains are about some smart lists, just add a condition on Number Plays on top, and pretend the field is empty when Number Plays is zero?
You can solve this easily, while the other way around the information is not accessible anymore.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:53:03 am »

As I wrote in my first post, I realize it was intentional based on Glynor's feedback; however, I don't think it was the right decision.  Having a file marked as Not Played, but having a time stamp in Last Played does not seem logical to me or pass the common sense test.  His original reasoning was that you can't Undo, but that is not correct.  
Perhaps instead of just giving it a +1, could you please explain a use case you have where it is beneficial?  I cannot think of one; however, I can think of many where it is detrimental.
I use "Mark as not Played" to clear the "Played" status of a video in my library if I'm going to watch it again. (or someone else in the house wants to watch it)
I still find it useful to be able to look up the last time I watched that content, however.

Your problem is easily solved if you use one of the fields which "Mark as not Played" does reset, rather than [Last Played].

connersw

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 07:08:29 am »

Sure, I can solve the problem by adding another Field to my expression making it more complex.  Another work around because the program does not behave logically.  Just like I have to here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91352.msg628340#msg628340  It's just not worth it for me anymore--time to move on.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 07:26:18 am »

Code: [Select]
If(IsEqual(Watched(1), 0, 2), 1, [Last Played])
Watched()

connersw

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 07:35:50 am »

Watched is a Video function; it has no relevance to Audio.  

I already know how to work around it.  That is not the point.  I'm tired of wasting my time doing that with this program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up