INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disk Writer  (Read 1924 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Disk Writer
« on: January 29, 2002, 05:33:09 am »

Matt,
What is Disk Writer supposed to do? All I can get it to do is make everything move in very slow motion. The song says "buffering" but never gets above 3% and finally goes to "stopped".
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Disk Writer
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2002, 06:17:13 am »

It outputs to .wav files instead of to the soundcard.  Check the output directory you specified for the DiskWriter... it should have some .wav files in it.

You can use this to make a replay gain'd, EQ and DSP'd, cross-faded CD's for example.

Later.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2002, 07:32:31 am »

I thought I'd try out the diskwriter option to create a crossfaded CD.

As a test, I started out with the following 6 songs.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
Rusted Root - River in a Cage
The Calling - Whereever You Will Go
Kansas - Dust in the Wind
John Cougar Mellencamp - Walls Come Tumbling Down
Van Halen - Jump

I ended up with 3 wavs.

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer.wav
The Calling - Wherever You Will Go.wav
Kansas - Dust in the Wind.wav

Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer.wav contains both Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer and Rusted Root - River in a Cage (crossfading the first into the second).

The Calling - Wherever You Will Go.wav contains just The Calling - Wherever You Will Go

Kansas - Dust in the Wind.wav contains Kansas - Dust in the Wind, John Cougar Mellencamp - Walls Come Tumbling Down, and Van Halen - Jump all crossfading into each other.

Is this expected? I'm guessing that, because some songs fade out on their own and have some silence at the end, that DiskWriter is ending that write operation and beginning again when there is sound.

I guess I'm just wondering exactly what I need to do to create a crossfaded CD with seperate tracks for each song. I've got this part done and there is crossfading. So presumably now I need to open up these three waves and split them up into the actual tracks?

Is there anyway that MJ could do this automatically at write time? Or create an option to specify track splitting or one large wav?

I'd like it if it could stop the write operation right before the next song is about to play, and start a new one when that next song starts. So if I hit next on my CD player, I'll get the beginning of the song I'm jumping to. (I'll still get the tail end of the previous song, but that's fine, I realize there's no way around that).

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2002, 07:38:53 am »

Another Interact bug?

I had to modify my reply before it would jump to the top of the list, and it still isn't incrementing the reply count. Next Page

Maybe this will do it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2002, 07:58:24 am »

It should break the tracks... if it isn't, it's a bug.

About where to break, we couldn't decide.

Right now it's in the middle of the fade.  Maybe the front of the fade makes more sense.  Opinions?

Thanks.

-Matt

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2002, 08:17:30 am »

Well, you know my opinion. Next Page

It just seems to me that if it's in the middle, and you jump to a track, you're always going to miss the very beginning of the song you wanted to hear.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2002, 08:20:36 am »

I take that back... it's already like you suggested Doof - at the beginning of the track.

About the splitting, we'll do some testing once we get things put back together.

-Matt

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2002, 12:16:34 pm »

Matt,
I'm impressed. The wav file was there all right. Played back perfectly. As I still had the DSP on, it had a small amount of trouble at first (About 1/2 second). Double DSP, I suppose. The only problem was there were two of them. In one wav file. Same song. It is possible and even likely that I made it play twice because I didn't know what it was doing. But shouldn't there be two separate wav files in that case? There was a silence of about 3 seconds between.
Keep at it. The potential is really nice. Some sort of progress indicator would be nice.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2002, 12:50:52 pm »

This is a good thing and I hope it is seen through.
It can be made to work well as at least two winamp plug-ins testify.
But the way you have set it up with the control through the playback output is a great idea.

The winamp plugins that I have used split the tracks at the start of the cross fade and that works OK.
It means that if you skip to a track you hear the end of the previous track, if there is one, fading out.
There is no perfect place to split but I think that the in the middle could work well.

I agree with Doof that there should be better indication of what's actually happening as the output proceeds.
Big sign - "Outputting to File, Not to Sound Card - Writing file "Blah - Blah.wav"".
Also it would be helpful if the output were two digit numbered.
That would help in keeping the, now critical, burning order correct.

Since the only reason (that I can think of) to do this is to burn crossfaded audio CDs, is there any plan to amalgamate the two operations?
Like, select some files and have MJ output to wave, burn the output to DAO audio CD, and delete the waves?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2002, 01:34:17 pm »

How about an option to do away with track splitting and make one wav file and a cue sheet a la Exact Audio Copy. Disks made this way would be essentially DAO (for us that can't do that normally). No worries about track splitting and they would still be replay gain'd, EQ and DSP'd, cross-faded CD's.
If that's not feasible, how would that work on generic drivers?
That's right.
I'm cool.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2002, 02:30:01 pm »

The problem with audio CDs burned the way you describe, C8, is that you can't seek out a particular track.  You get a CD with one single 80 minute long track - might as well just put it to tape.

Victor

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2002, 03:34:10 pm »

Matt,
You should call it something like WAVMAKER or MAKEWAVS or something cool and catchy like that.

Victor

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2002, 07:38:06 am »

Calluthumpian,
Are you sure about that? I thought that was the way commercial CD's were made. If you open a CD in Explorer as a drive, all that you will see are  "Track1.cda", "Track2.cda", "Track3.cda", etc. and they all are 1K. It was my understanding that that was what a "Cue sheet" was ... a 1K file pointing to a section (one track) of the main file.
In another thread, they were talking about APL files, cue sheets and disk images. Maybe I just misunderstood it all. That is likely.
Check out Using CUE Sheets  1-08-2002 01:14:41 A.M
That's pretty much where I got my understanding of the matter.
That's right.
I'm cool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2002, 10:13:00 am »

A CUE sheet is one file that contains all of the track data for an entire CD image. There are several entries, and each entry specifies where a track begins.

I beleive you can take a single wav file and a CUE sheet, and using special software (Nero maybe?) burn the wav to the CD and still have individual tracks based on the information in the CUE sheet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up