INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long time MC user with Pono coming soon. What to do?!...  (Read 1783 times)

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
Long time MC user with Pono coming soon. What to do?!...
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:56:39 pm »

Since I've been using MC for years and have my library setup nicely, is there going to be a way to use my Pono player with it or will I have to maintain MC and the Pono Music version?  Hopefully not the latter.

Eugene

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Long time MC user with Pono coming soon. What to do?!...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:44:36 am »

You can probably back up your library in MC20 and restore it in Pono Music.

Dorsai

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:27:27 am »

That would be great! I'm just a little concerned about the "probably"; has anyone tried this yet?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 09:35:06 am »

You can be the first.  ;)

There's no harm in trying.  You can always clear your library in Pono Music if it doesn't work.

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:37:24 pm »

What functionality will be lost if I switch over to the PonoMusic version of MC?  And will updates continue to come out on the same regular basis as MC20?

Thanks for the input.

Eugene

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:39:19 pm »

It's audio only and not all features will be available.  It's up to Pono to decide when to release.

steven.porteus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:38:37 am »

I cloned my Media Center library and opened it with Pono Music World, seems to work OK.  But I'm thinking I need a way to "share" one library so they don't get out of sync.  Not sure if I can just open the same library with both Pono Music World and Media Center or if that has the potential to blow things up.

Or....Can we add Pono specific functionality to Media Center with an add-in or hidden feature enablement or something?  I know this has been suggested before, but it seems that the few hooks that Pono Music World have for the Pono player would be the Pono Music site access, login, and firmware management.  But, maybe there's more under the covers that doesn't make this possible.  It would be nice to get a statement on this from JRiver on this as I really don't want to maintain two versions of the software and libraries.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:13:30 am »

It's too soon to say to what extent MC will support the Pono Player.

MC can probably sync to the Pono Player now, but it won't be able to update firmware or make the Pono blue light work, or download from the store.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:03 am »

Backup/restore works, but not 100% of the settings carry over. So double-check after importing.

Don't especially recommend a shared library as there are enough differences between MC20 and PMW20 to create the potential for problems.

However, after trying to keep things in sync I subsequenty dropped the idea because it worked better for me to have two separate libraries, especially regarding playlists. My MC20 lists are optimized for playback via MC20. However, in PMW20, I needed to break up my music into packages that fit the 64GB max microSD cards the Pono Player accepts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up