INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston Acoustics vs Paradigm  (Read 2470 times)

Scronch

Boston Acoustics vs Paradigm
« on: January 27, 2002, 09:53:44 pm »

OK, time to ask for opinions on speakers again.

I like the Boston Acoustics outdoor Voyager 3's very much (3/4" dome, 5-1/4" bass).  I am amazed at the bass that comes out of that small package.  Now I need to purchase a few pair of small indoor speakers.  I like what I've read about the Paradigm Titans (3/4" dome, 6-1/2" bass), but I recently heard a pair at a friend's house.  I was very disappointed with their lack of bass response.  Granted, he had a different amp and a different setting, but even after playing with all the settings, we couldn't get much bass out of the Titans.  I have an application that doesn't lend itself to a subwoofer, so I want good bass in a bookshelf speaker.  So my question is:

Have any of you compared these?

Paradigm Titans (3/4" dome, 6-1/2" bass)   $219/pair   http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/Performance/PerformanceSpecs.htm#1
Boston Acoustics CR65 (3/4" dome, 5-1/4" bass)   $200/pair   http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ProductsPage.asp?ProductID=185&SpecID=1&SeriesID=19
Boston Acoustics CR75 (1" dome, 6-1/2" bass)   $300/pair   http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ProductsPage.asp?ProductID=184&SpecID=1&SeriesID=19

Thanks in advance.

Scronch

Scronch

Scronch

RE:Boston Acoustics vs Paradigm
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2002, 07:25:02 am »

...bump...

Scronch

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 11:45:25 am »

I'm being ignored.

(Hey, that kind of looks like Denny Green!)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2002, 12:04:06 pm »

I'll pay attention to you.

My answer is....

no.

Scronch

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2002, 08:25:48 pm »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2002, 05:44:39 am »

Hehe...

About the speakers, I dunno.  I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you though... I'm just clueless.

I can say that there's a reason they make good speakers pretty big -- there are things you just can't do with a small speaker cabinet, and I think deep, solid bass is one of them.

Maybe audioreview.com could help since we can't...

Later.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2002, 06:05:07 am »

Scronch,
    Consider yourself un-ignored. I heard the BA CR65's in Circuit City a while back and they sounded most excellent but I haven't heard the others.

Check out www.epionions.com - they appear to have reviews of the Titans Boston Acoustics speakers.

If you've already checked epinions out then you can go back to considering yourself ignored.

Thanks,
John
Namaste,
John

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2002, 09:29:24 am »

Thanks.  After checking out aduioreview and epinions, I guess I'm leaning toward the Boston Acoustics, which would match our outdoor speakers.  The problem is that the dealer that carries Boston Acoustics is 20 miles from the dealer that carries Paradigm, so I can't hear them side-by-side.  So my "listening experience" is colored by the amplifier and listening room.  Anyway, my biggest concern remains bass.  I'm looking around for a subwoofer that is in a cabinet that can be hung from the ceiling.  There are lots of "in-ceiling" subs, but those won't work in this situation.  The other option is to spend the sub money on better speakers, like move up to the Boston Acoustics CR85 with a 7" bass.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up