INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about dither when streaming media network  (Read 2483 times)

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
Questions about dither when streaming media network
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:10:05 am »

Hello,
I'm using MC21 on a windows machine that acts as my server.
I have another MC 21 on RPI that's connected my Hifi and I also use JRemote on my iPhone to play music on the go.

I wonder what the dither setting the server (under DSP settings) should be? I want to avoid dithering twice?
My Hifi RPI does dither for music it plays locally - so I should disable dither on my windows server right?

However I also play music on my iPhone via Remote that doesn't dither, so I should enable it on the windows server? I'm a bit confused...

Thank you!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Questions about dither when streaming media network
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 03:32:55 am »

You should never disable dithering, unless you do it externally in a DSP plugin or such.

If your RPi just streams the compressed audio files straight from the server, there is no dithering involved here either way (ie. the files are streamed as-is) - if it does re-compression before streaming, then it has to dither, as MCs internal 64-bit format is being converted to something lower for streaming.

So in short, don't turn it off.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

PrinterPrinter

• World Citizen
Re: Questions about dither when streaming media network
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:36:34 am »

You should never disable dithering, unless you do it externally in a DSP plugin or such.

If your RPi just streams the compressed audio files straight from the server, there is no dithering involved here either way (ie. the files are streamed as-is) - if it does re-compression before streaming, then it has to dither, as MCs internal 64-bit format is being converted to something lower for streaming.

So in short, don't turn it off.

Thanks Hendrik,
Can you please clarify what you mean by compression-recompression? I'm playing FLAC files at native resolution on my RPI but have to down sample high res files for playing on my iPhone via JRemote - do I need to set different profiles for them? If so how?

What if I apply volume levelling on the server - as well as on the RPI, would that dither twice?

Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up