INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Problems  (Read 140354 times)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDM Problems
« Reply #250 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:36 am »

The first i did after install was disable firewall and defender.
maybe this is just a typo? You want to do this BEFORE install. exclusion rules are in the Anti-Virus, not the firewall; sorry should have added that. Some AVs give out false positives

atesz007

• Recent member
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2016, 09:08:37 am »

Sorry, i mean i turned off firewall and defender right after WINDOWS install, not after JRiver install.  ;)

atesz007

• Recent member
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2016, 10:41:17 am »

I tried on 2 other PCs, both working. Only my HTPC has trouble. Let's reinstall win (other build) and will see... Worst case switch back to server

Arindelle

« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

I tried on 2 other PCs, both working. Only my HTPC has trouble. Let's reinstall win (other build) and will see... Worst case switch back to server
ok really going out on a limb here ... but by chance did the WDM driver get un-checked in options? (General=>Features)

atesz007

• Recent member
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2016, 12:16:59 pm »

It is checked. I see it among sound devices in device manager. But listed as 'unknown device'. Driver install fails...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2016, 12:21:19 pm »

atesz007

• Recent member
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2016, 01:07:36 pm »

Thanks, i think my windows has troubles. I used WDM previously with server 2012 without any problems. Created a zone for chrome+youtube TV and routed sound through jriver.

But now during driver install i get "incorrect parmeters" message.

atesz007

• Recent member
« Reply #257 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:18 pm »

Windows reinstall solved the problem. I couldn't imagine what was with previous install. Now WDM works.

mjm6

• Recent member
« Reply #258 on: March 28, 2016, 02:09:07 pm »

I'm having problems getting the WDM driver to appear in the Windows Settings after installing it following the directions...

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) on an HP server motherboard.

When I install MC21, it appears to successfully install the WDM driver (at least the dialogue indicates that it is being installed).  I followed the directions to turn on the WDM in the General>Settings>Features and then reinstall the software.

When I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound the only thing that shows up in the Playback tab is "Remote Audio Device".

If I go to the main Device Manager, it seems to show some drivers from MC21 in the Sound and Game Controllers, but it's not clear that these are the WDM or not, and there is no way to activate them.

A few more details... I am running this machine headless from another using RDC.  I suspect that this is the source of the "Remote Audio Device" in the Sound settings, but I'm not positive.  For example, when I go to Pandora through the WDC, I can hear the audio at my current (remote) machine, so I suspect it is shunting the audio to my local device and essentially overriding the ability to set up audio output to anywhere else.  Do I need to log in directly to the MC21 machine to get the WDM running without using WDC to connect?  Is it disallowing the installation of the WDM driver possibly?

Lastly, this being a server MB, it may not have most of the bells and whistles of a normal MB.  Is there a possibility that is a source of the problem?

Thanks,

---Michael

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #259 on: March 28, 2016, 04:40:55 pm »

I'm having problems getting the WDM driver to appear in the Windows Settings after installing it following the directions...

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit) on an HP server motherboard.

When I install MC21, it appears to successfully install the WDM driver (at least the dialogue indicates that it is being installed).  I followed the directions to turn on the WDM in the General>Settings>Features and then reinstall the software.

When I go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound the only thing that shows up in the Playback tab is "Remote Audio Device".

If I go to the main Device Manager, it seems to show some drivers from MC21 in the Sound and Game Controllers, but it's not clear that these are the WDM or not, and there is no way to activate them.

A few more details... I am running this machine headless from another using RDC.  I suspect that this is the source of the "Remote Audio Device" in the Sound settings, but I'm not positive.  For example, when I go to Pandora through the WDC, I can hear the audio at my current (remote) machine, so I suspect it is shunting the audio to my local device and essentially overriding the ability to set up audio output to anywhere else.  Do I need to log in directly to the MC21 machine to get the WDM running without using WDC to connect?  Is it disallowing the installation of the WDM driver possibly?

Lastly, this being a server MB, it may not have most of the bells and whistles of a normal MB.  Is there a possibility that is a source of the problem?

Thanks,

---Michael

Other users have had issues before using Microsoft Remote Desktop precisely because it suppresses local audio drivers (that's why you only see the "remote audio device").  I don't use RDP, but my recollection is that you can turn off the audio relay function which will allow you to control the local audio devices on the server again?

Or you can use a different remote desktop solution like VNC (or teamviewer) which doesn't have the same device suppression issues that RDP does.

It might help if you could provide a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish.  What local audio device are you trying to route the WDM output to through JRiver? 

mjm6

• Recent member
« Reply #260 on: March 28, 2016, 04:58:53 pm »

OK, thanks for the response, which confirms what I thought might be the case...

I'll see about the settings for RDC and turn it off if possible.  If that doesn't work, I'll go work directly on the server to see about setting it up.

My goal is to set up the server to stream Pandora and other music sources from the web to other devices in the house (Raspberry Pi's), and I believe that I need to use WMD for this.

Now, if it would be possible to set up favorites in MC for the Pandora stations, then I'd be a much happier person.

I'll try some things tonight and see where things stand and then report back.  I would suggest that if this is actually a known problem with setting up the WDM drivers, there should be some mention of it in the installation instructions to save people a bunch of hassle.

---Michael

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #261 on: March 28, 2016, 05:35:35 pm »

OK, thanks for the response, which confirms what I thought might be the case...

I'll see about the settings for RDC and turn it off if possible.  If that doesn't work, I'll go work directly on the server to see about setting it up.

My goal is to set up the server to stream Pandora and other music sources from the web to other devices in the house (Raspberry Pi's), and I believe that I need to use WMD for this.

Now, if it would be possible to set up favorites in MC for the Pandora stations, then I'd be a much happier person.

I'll try some things tonight and see where things stand and then report back.  I would suggest that if this is actually a known problem with setting up the WDM drivers, there should be some mention of it in the installation instructions to save people a bunch of hassle.

---Michael

It's sort of a catch 22: most folks aren't using RDC so it doesn't come up often, and the ones who do use RDC are aware of it's limitations.  To be clear, it's not an issue specific to MC's WDM driver, it's an issue with RDC preventing access to any local audio drivers whatsoever in the default settings.  If you had an audio card hooked up to the PC you wouldn't be able to see it either, it's not unique to the WDM driver (which is installed according to device manager in your setup).

That said, I'm not sure that the WDM driver will work for your use case as I don't think it can stream audio over the network at the moment (but I haven't tested it personally in that application).  You might want to open a thread describing what you're specifically trying to achieve in more details so folks can suggest functional solutions.  Otherwise you'll get trapped in a series of x/y problems.

mjm6

• Recent member
« Reply #262 on: March 28, 2016, 05:42:43 pm »

Yes, I understand that it isn't a problem with the WDM driver, just an interaction issue.

I would have expected that there are a lot of headless people out there, but maybe not, so this may not be a large-scale problem.

I'll try a little tonight and then if I run into any problems, I'll start a new thread for the application I am trying.

Thanks,

---Michael

DJLegba

« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2016, 05:58:35 pm »

I use RDP to access a headless NUC and I can use WDM on the NUC. Check this setting:

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2016, 12:53:38 am »

WDM is still a problem unfortunately. Verified on multiple Realtek (by far the most popular audio PC hardware) based devices. As others have reported pops, crackles and dropouts are not solved by altering buffer settings. Hopefully JR puts energy into improving this feature.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2016, 01:03:12 am »

It might be worthwhile reading the instructions again to see if you missed anything or find new ideas:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.msg637430#msg637430

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2016, 10:16:25 am »

It might be worthwhile reading the instructions again to see if you missed anything or find new ideas:

I hadn't bothered with a new zone.  I will try that. I wonder something... If there are audible defects there must also be ones there may be ones that aren't easily audible hmmm.

Just played 20+ songs with no issue! Possible causes for this: In device manager I enabled hidden devices... there were mutiple JRiver WDM versions and removed all but current. Also it seems possible that rebooting after buffer changes does something. Hope this stays!

EDIT: Nope problem remains. Funny thing is I just shuffled my amps around, booted up and wanted to do a left/right check (right click JRiver...configure speakers) and I got crackle pop on just that!

Are devs willing to look into this?

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2016, 12:47:02 pm »

I hadn't bothered with a new zone.  I will try that. I wonder something... If there are audible defects there must also be ones there may be ones that aren't easily audible hmmm.

Just played 20+ songs with no issue! Possible causes for this: In device manager I enabled hidden devices... there were mutiple JRiver WDM versions and removed all but current. Also it seems possible that rebooting after buffer changes does something. Hope this stays!

EDIT: Nope problem remains. Funny thing is I just shuffled my amps around, booted up and wanted to do a left/right check (right click JRiver...configure speakers) and I got crackle pop on just that!

Are devs willing to look into this?

Evidently not beyond copy/pasting the same FAQ. Normally a developer would look to capture users system info (via software/error reporting) and attempt to debug. Personally I have passed on the latest upgrade offer for the first time ever. I do still love the program and will use zones... one which doesn't use WDM for music and one that does for video where I don't care about imperfections. I also revoked my recommendation to my last customer to use JRiver and instead had him use Spotify with the local import feature. We will also be removing the MC from recommendations in our e-zine. Ignoring your loyal customers requests is arguably not a wise business decision.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2016, 03:07:32 pm »

Ignoring?

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #269 on: August 12, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »

Ignoring?

When multiple people advise that despite following the FAQ suggestions the problems exist and then ask if you guys are doing anything about this with no response then yes I would say ignoring is an appropriate description?

bananaRep

« Reply #270 on: August 16, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »

Using the trial version of JR 22, loading Media Server at startup, I created a zone for the WDM driver,

the Audio device set to "High definition audio device [Direct Sound]"

prebuffering set to 2 seconds,
live playback latency set to Minimum

default Sound device in Windows (10) is JRiver Media Center 22

using the speakers attached to the computer

when playing an internet game, the sound sometimes goes away for 20+ seconds and then comes back,

this works correctly when the default sound device is set to the ""High definition audio device" instead of "JRiver Media Center 22"

Please advise.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:45 pm »

I have JRiver Media Center show as a sound device.  I get Ipc to show up on the MC player and my DLNA device.  But no sound comes through.  I probably don't have something set up right.  Have gone through everything 20x over about 5 hours and cannot figure this out.  Any help would be appreciated. 

See attachment for pic of what is going on with my system.  Maybe you can see something obvious and easy to fix. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2016, 09:18:46 pm »

Did you set up audio from MC before trying to use WDM?  Instructions for WDM are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92593.msg637430.html#msg637430

I don't think it will work with DLNA.  Please read more about it.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2016, 10:16:52 pm »

Did you set up audio from MC before trying to use WDM?  Instructions for WDM are here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,92593.msg637430.html#msg637430

I don't think it will work with DLNA.  Please read more about it.

Yes Sir, I read the instructions you linked to several times before posting and I believe my screenshot shows that JRiver is listed as a Playback Device and is set on my computer as the default Playback Sound Device.  But, though I am a little tech savvy, compared to most people on this forum, my skills are very rudimentary.  I am not a coder and more of a systems guy.  Your help is much appreciated.

If DLNA/Upnp is not supported for WDM, then (I know this is a different subject) how are most people playing their music?  Do most of you use cables from your computer to receivers, TV's, etc for playing media using MC?  I thought the whole point of MC was to go wireless but maybe I have had unrealistic expectations of this tool all along.  Understanding this will help me not waste my and others time (after I post questions) trying to do things MC is not designed for. 

Thanks! 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2016, 12:43:58 am »

The idea of WDM is that you can watch Netflix, or use spotify, or any other app, on the computer that MC is on, and the sound will be routed through MC. This gives you all the DSP options etc.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2016, 02:27:28 am »

The idea of WDM is that you can watch Netflix, or use spotify, or any other app, on the computer that MC is on, and the sound will be routed through MC. This gives you all the DSP options etc.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I was trying to watch a youtube video on my laptop and stream the music through MC and my sound system just like I listen to all my music.  I have a Sony media streaming box feeding a sound system downstairs and upstairs have a Marantz receiver I can use that are both hooked up to my router/wifi.  I have all my music on my laptop and use MC to send it over the router to those systems (one at a time since they will not stay in sync if I link zones).  So, if I could watch vids on the laptop and send the music through MC and to my UPNP's that would be very cool, fun and useful. 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2016, 04:08:48 pm »

You would normally link the zones, however my experience is that you cannot stream the ipc zone to another device. I believe the reason is that there is no playback clock to keep the zones synced. I'd love to be able to do so with Spotify etc.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #277 on: September 16, 2016, 12:36:06 am »

For instructions, please see the first post in the feature thread here:

Please post any problems here.

In the instructions, I don't really understand what this means "It's recommended to set this up for a new zone, which you can do by right clicking on Playing Now and choosing Add Zone." 

I know how to set up a zone, but how do I link the zone to the Lpc? Do I use default settings or Player?  I set up a zone but it doesn't seem to do anything so i am missing something obvious here. 

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2016, 06:17:39 am »

Once you have created a zone, you can use MC's Audio settings to do whatever you want with it.  The settings can be different for each zone.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up