INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: apple remote  (Read 5386 times)

orangeart

• Junior Woodchuck
apple remote
« on: November 27, 2014, 07:01:02 am »

Any know which IR recievers work with the little aluminium apple remote and can program jriver volume control and possiboy changing zones?

Anyone use one of these?

Cheers

Stefan

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
Re: apple remote
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:21:26 am »

I'm trying to get Targus specific Apple Media Remote which uses bluetooth to work on Windows 8.1. I got it to work 100% correct on one pc but on the pc it's supposed to be used on I can only get volume control to work. No play/pause or skip track. The pc's are similar, same OS, same MC version and same settings as far as I can see. Volume is a good start but it's annoying to know it CAN work, but not on the pc I want it to. Grrr....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:24:47 am »

I'm trying to get Targus specific Apple Media Remote which uses bluetooth to work on Windows 8.1. I got it to work 100% correct on one pc but on the pc it's supposed to be used on I can only get volume control to work. No play/pause or skip track. The pc's are similar, same OS, same MC version and same settings as far as I can see. Volume is a good start but it's annoying to know it CAN work, but not on the pc I want it to. Grrr....
Maybe Windows Media Center is getting in the way?  MC can suspend it if needed.  It's in the startup settings.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:32:24 am »

Maybe Windows Media Center is getting in the way?  MC can suspend it if needed.  It's in the startup settings.

Thanks for the tip!! Tried that. I thought I'd go "yeahhh that fixed it". But noooooo, still gremlins in the second pc  :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:39:57 am »

I suppose you tried swapping the IR receivers.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:57:09 am »

Sorry for hijacking the thread. The stuff I want the remote to work with is a small "headphones station" to have next to a sofa at home.

Recepy:

- ECS LIVA. With full windows 8.1. It's sooooooo tiny! No keyboard or screen.
- A good DAC with headphone amp (I have a pretty decent Microstreamer)
- A good headphone.

That's it. I control it with EOS or BubbleUPnP on Android tablet or phone. Adding the small bluetooth remote was nice so not to need to whip out the phone just to adjust volume slightly (and hopefully for skipping a track too)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 08:57:33 am »

I suppose you tried swapping the IR receivers.

Hrrmm... bluetooth  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:05:29 am »

And the other machine, the one that works, isn't a LIVA?

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 09:20:46 am »

And the other machine, the one that works, isn't a LIVA?

Right, not a LIVA. But LIVA is a straight forward windows PC. No special hardware or anything. The pc that works is my well beaten work pc with a lot of miles in installing stuff over the years. The LIVA is freshly installed. That's about the only difference. And probably the problem.

Tried the built in Bluetooth and also an external bluetooth USB-dongle, actually the dongle I used on the working pc.

PS:
Pretty nice setup eh?  :P :)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:08 am »

We have one and got it going with Linux.  It was a little fussy.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:39:28 am »

We have one and got it going with Linux.  It was a little fussy.

Bet it was the bluetooth driver  ;D   :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 11:25:36 am »

I don't think so.  I think it could only boot a Linux from a UEFI device.

orangeart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 03:47:47 pm »

Sorry to wrestle the thread back but it's just the little aluminium Appple IR remote I want to use. Anyone know of an IR receiver that works with this and can be programmed into JRiver.

Stefan

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 04:09:47 pm »

Sorry to wrestle the thread back but it's just the little aluminium Appple IR remote I want to use. Anyone know of an IR receiver that works with this and can be programmed into JRiver.

Stefan

Sorry :)

I have one of those laying around to. I'll go look closer at it.

orangeart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 05:02:38 pm »

Thanks

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 04:58:42 am »

For me the solution was have a multimedia keyboard connected to the system. Only a usb dongle for a multimedia keyboard is enough. Then the Targus media remote would work with all buttons. And secondly, the remote will not work at all when logged in to the system over remote desktop. Since the media keyboard and media remote then are entering key presses to the login screen only. With TeamViewer instead of Windows Remote Desktop (rdp) it would work even when connected remotely.

AND.... the Targus remote didn't connect reliably to the ECS LIVA built in bluetooth. I didn't dive into fixing that but instead took an old USB bluetooth dongle I had lying around and bam, all works finally.

------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Apple media remote. I found that it's hardware is compatible with the Windows "eHome" receiver, the normal WMC IR receiver. This according to this site https://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/hardware/

Now you "only" need to find some similar software for Windows. I would look at AutoHotKey and whatsamacallit... ghostevent? Can't remember right now if that's the correct name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up