INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AIF tracks - observation  (Read 5371 times)

JJGR

• Recent member
AIF tracks - observation
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:01:18 pm »

So i was struggling to figure out why a few of my HI Res albums wouldn't sync to the Pono Player.  In the sync window they would show the status of "On Device", but when i would eject the Pono Player they were not there.  ?  I noticed that the File Type data was showing "AIF" - NOT "AIFF" - so i simply re-tagged the files as "AIFF".  Sure enough, next sync - the tracks were transferred to the Pono Player.  I'd be curious to know if anyone else has discovered any other similar quirks.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: AIF tracks - observation
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 01:25:56 pm »

I have had mixed results with High resolution files I have purchased from HD Tracks with my Pono. Note that I have no problem when using from JRiver MAC - all play fine. They also play fine when using Minimserver and a control application.

However certain albums such as The Eagles The Studio Albums ( .aif extension) will not show up in my Pono player, even if I copy them to my Pono memory card.  Similarly Van Halen Studio Albums (.aiff) will not show up in my Pono Player.

Same for The Clash - any album from HD Tracks (.aif)

However other ones such as The Cars (.aif), Keith Jarrett Last Dance (.aif), Led Zeppelin (.aif) all load fine.

I have filed a support ticket with the Pono Support team, but no response after several queries over the past week.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »

Is there a pattern to what works and what doesn't?  AIF vs aif, for example?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »

Jim - for me - all the file extension are lower case. The only three albums I have trouble with so far are The Eagles Studio Collection, Van Halen Collection and The Clash albums.

Eagles and Van Halen are 24/192 and The Clash is 24/96.

So far every other high resolution file - whether FLAC or AIF(F) I have thrown at it works fine.

Will test further.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »

The only three albums I have trouble with so far are The Eagles Studio Collection, Van Halen Collection and The Clash albums.
But 16/44.1 aif files play?

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:43:14 pm »

Yes indeed - no problems with any other files I have thrown at it. I will try a few more tests tonight and let you know if anything else is problematic.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 02:55:21 pm »

Heart - Dreamboat Annie - .aif extension - 24/192 works. Hd Tracks download.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - .aif extension - 24/88 works. HD Tracks download.

I looked through more of my music files - most of my collection is ripped to .aiff format - so it seems most of the files I have in .aif format are high resolution downloads from HD Tracks.

I will try renaming the extensions from .aif to .aiff for the three artist collections ( The Clash, Van Halen, and The Eagles ) from HD Tracks that don't work.

Also will see if I have other files in .aif format at home.

Thanks for feedback.

Barr

JJGR

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:02:11 pm »

My results have also been more mixed than i originally thought.  Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie (24 96) worked fine once i changed the file extension from aif to aiff.  However, for the life of me I can't get other albums to show in the Pono Player library after they sync onto the device.  This is whether they are "aif" or changed to "aiff" - these include Wilco - Being There (aiff, 24 88.2), Santana - Abraxas (aiff, 24 88.2), Bob Marley - Legend (aiff, 24 96) or David Chesky - Jazz in New Harmonic (aiff, 24 96) to work  - whether they are "air" or "aiff". 
Other "aif" and "aiff" albums work fine - both low and hi res  - such as Beck - Sea Change (aif, 24 88.2) and Beatles - Abbey Road (aif, 16 44.1).  i don't see a pattern.   

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 07:42:05 pm »

Two more that do not show up in the Pono Player.

Both bought from HD Tracks:

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend - *.aif - 24/192

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Kaya - *.aif - 24/96

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 09:50:13 pm »

Just in case it wasn't clear the files and albums show up in PonoMusic World 20 and I can even click on the files and play them ( stored on extra memory card in Pono ) when Pono Player is connected to Mac and PonoMusic World 20.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:18:58 pm »

One more experiment. Brand new SD64 card. Launched PonoMusic World 20.I made a playlist for the new card. I moved one file to the playlist - Bob Marley - Easy Skanking - Album Kaya - 24/96 - .aif extension.

I was able to sync the file to the new SD card in the Pono. I could play the file off the SD card while in PonoMusic World after the synch. After quitting PonoMusic World I could see in Finder the File and a playlist on the SD card. I eject, shutdown and re start my Pono Player. Library info notes that some space has been used on the external SD card. But the file is not in the Pono Player under Artist, Album, Song.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 06:44:37 am »

If you're playing it from our software, that probably worked because the Pono Player is just a drive.

The player's software player (too many players) or the firmware may not be recognizing the file.

This is the kind of thing that should get sorted out soon.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:58:57 am »

Thanks Jim - That is what I figured - something in the Pono Player itself - either firmware or the software player.

Barr

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 11:38:17 am »

One more experiment. Brand new SD64 card. Launched PonoMusic World 20.I made a playlist for the new card. I moved one file to the playlist - Bob Marley - Easy Skanking - Album Kaya - 24/96 - .aif extension.

I was able to sync the file to the new SD card in the Pono. I could play the file off the SD card while in PonoMusic World after the synch. After quitting PonoMusic World I could see in Finder the File and a playlist on the SD card. I eject, shutdown and re start my Pono Player. Library info notes that some space has been used on the external SD card. But the file is not in the Pono Player under Artist, Album, Song.

Can you show us the full filename including path and extension on the PonoPlayer device as shown in PonoMusic World?  I haven't seen this happen before.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 12:31:21 pm »

Can you show us the full filename including path and extension on the PonoPlayer device as shown in PonoMusic World?  I haven't seen this happen before.

Sure John - I have attached a screenshot first from Finder and second from PonoMusic World.

Barr

JJGR

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 06:57:31 pm »

just updated to 20.0.44.  Re synced sample of problem tracks to PonoPlayer, still appeared to sync, but Pono Player still does not read music.  hopefuly there is a PonoPlayer Firmware update in the works soon that will fix this. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »

It would help to report that on their forum.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 07:03:20 pm »

It would help to report that on their forum.

I posted a message in their community,  logged a support ticket with Pono Support on Monday and another one yesterday with all the details, I still have not heard back from anyone at Pono. Radio silence as they say. However I am persistent and will call Monday if I still have not heard anything back.

Have a good weekend.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 07:39:55 pm »

Thanks.  It's the kind of thing that might take a couple of weeks to fix and make public.

JJGR

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 08:21:06 pm »

just converted one of the problem albums to FLAC using XLD, replaced the files in PMW music library, re-synced - and the FLAC files show and play just fine on Pono Player.  it must be something with the Pono Player firmware and certain AIF/AIFF files.  i will post it on the pono forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up