INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Device Management - Players and SD Cards  (Read 2202 times)

steven.porteus

• Recent member
Device Management - Players and SD Cards
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:27:40 am »

This will be part question and part suggestion.  I'm just starting to use MC for moving music to a portable device, so this may be my ignorance of how to configure this in MC.   For full disclosure, I am using the Pono version of MC(20.0.44), but also have full registered MC and I don't expect this behavior is different between the two (but someone correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't tested under my full MC version).

The Pono Player has non-removable storage and a slot for a micro SDXC card.  If you plug the player in with a USB cable it will show those two storages as separate devices (yay!).  Now, I can also take the removable chip and plug it into my laptop or even a remote card slot on my printers or NAS (haven't tried this yet, but should work in theory).

So, I had set up a "device profile" for one chip for my wife's music and I was loading some music to the chip via my laptop's card reader.  Today, I'm continuing to load music, but the chip is in the Pono Player connected to my laptop.  Pono Music World shows both the device profile that i set up for the chip and the remote volume mount for the same chip in the player.  So, a few questions/suggestions.

1.) Does the device profile alway's refer to that storage chip, no matter where/how it's mounted?  How does it know that chip, just by the volume name that it's formatted with or is there some device ID on the chip that would always tie it to that profile regardless of the file system volume name?
2.) Should MC show both the device profile for the chip and the mounted volume?  Not sure if this is a glitch or a design feature.  Seems silly to show both, especially if you have a specific profile with conversion specifics tied to it.
3.) Is there a way to set the default profile for all devices, current and future, so that the profile is the same?  I realized halfway through this project that some of the profiles were converting the audio to FLAC and I didn't really want that to occur.  It would be nice to set a default so that if I add a new storage chip later, I know the default conversion specs are what I want without having to check/configure.
4.) Is there a way to "queue" up tracks you want to go to these destinations without the devices being attached/mounted?  My scenario is that I'll have at least 3 removable chips and the built in storage.  I'd like to go through my library, pick which place I'm going to copy an album to, and then do the transfers later since it will take a while.
4a.) Related to this, is there a way to see where an album or track has been "sent to" in the past?  So, without checking the destination device directly, can I look at the library and determine that I've already decided that album will go to my storage chip versus my wife's?  With 150+GB music library, I'm starting to loose track of where I'm putting certain albums and I don't want to create duplicate copies across these storage destinations in most cases.

I think that's the end of my questions for now, I'm sure I'll have more based on responses.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up