INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move video folders to new drive  (Read 1241 times)

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
Move video folders to new drive
« on: December 11, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »

Following the instructions in the wiki I right clicked on the video and selected rename(Move) set the base directory to the new drive and the preview windows shows:
E:/A Few Good Men/Video_TS/etc    K:/Video_TS/etc

In other words the move takes the contents of the media folder (A Few Good Men) and copies only the files in the folder, not the folder itself.

I assume then that what you are supposed to do is transfer E:/ to K:/  but that is a massive transfer and I want to start with a few files first (recommended many times in the wiki and forum).  But it doesn't work without a rule.  I tried album/artist but that didn't work .. seems everything was setup for audio.

So my question is, how do I individually move video folders from one drive to another?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Move video folders to new drive
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 12:46:57 pm »

do you want to keep the same folder name? 

you need to set rules...for you, if you have E:/a few good men

set your base path to k:/
set your rule to [name]

this will give you k:/a few good men/

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:01:07 pm »

Almost worked .. the original folder contained a file "folder.jpg" which did not copy to the new folder.  I am guessing this is the cover art for the video.  Is there a rule for transferring all of the files in the folder?

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 01:04:32 pm »

Noticed something else.  The file size in the Video|Files standard view was 4GB and is now 14kB.  Somehow in the move it did not update the file size correctly.

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »

Given all this mucking around maybe it is safer to simply have windows move the files and then in JRiver simply delete all the files and import the new drive.  I think we need a simple menu option in Library Manager tools to simply do this.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 01:10:48 pm »

there is a checkbox for "move all files in folder including non imported files"

it does take some mucking about, but once it's set up it's much better than windows.  i just finished moving 250,000 files with barely an issue, it was way faster than windows and i renamed all the folders while it did it....

stevedig

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 01:34:02 pm »

If you want to keep the same base path and just change the drive letter, use the Find & Replace option.

Say you start with M:\Music\(Artist)\...

You want to change this to X:\Music\Artist\...

Find and Replace M: with X: and check the "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files)" option and you should be in business.

All paths will remain with the exception of the drive letter. When done, MC will ask you if you want to delete all the empty folders.

Rgds,

Steve D.

stevedig

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 01:38:05 pm »

It works the same way for video...

To move one movie or show, right click on the movie or tv show episode, just right click on the individual show or movie you want to move and do the same.

When your ready to bulk move, CTRL-A the items you want to move and do it again. It will remember the last move you did so you shouldn't even have to set the options again.

Steve D.

Omni

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 02:55:59 pm »

Why not just use find and replace?
Pages: [1]   Go Up