INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Gizmo when EOS exists?  (Read 2846 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
Why Gizmo when EOS exists?
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:13 am »

Just wondering about the thinking behind Gizmo now when the IMHO infinitely better EOS exists?

Just curious if there are benefits with Gizmo compared to EOS that I've missed or don't understand.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why Gizmo when EOS exists?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:52:35 am »

Gizmo is free.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:58:16 am »

zeusl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:07:56 am »

Ah! Very true.

The only reason I still use Gizmo in the car, the cache. Downloading ( buffering ) songs in case you lose the connection for a while. Gizmo can select 1 , 3, 5 tracks in advance. I do not think Eos can do that yet..(?)
(I use MC primarily for music...)

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:31 am »

Gizmo supports skip/seek in videos. Eos crashes.

Edit: also, I have never been able to connect from external networks using Eos. That may just be me not knowing how, or an EOS limitation.

EDIT: Connecting from external networks works, it was the local settings on my phone that prevented it, see post further down.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »

Gizmo supports skip/seek in videos. Eos crashes.

Edit: also, I have never been able to connect from external networks using Eos. That may just be me not knowing how, or an EOS limitation.

I've never had a problem with connecting from an external (i.e., cellular) network. As long as you're using the correct Access Key and your key is current you shouldn't have a problem.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:36:37 pm »

I've never had a problem with connecting from an external (i.e., cellular) network. As long as you're using the correct Access Key and your key is current you shouldn't have a problem.

I have checked, and I am actually using the correct Access Key. It works when on my home WLAN, but not from e.g. cellular network.  And the same access key works with Gizmo, internal or external network.
Do I need to set any specific signal port forwarding on my router for Eos?

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re:
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

If Gizmo works then there's no reason that EOS shouldn't work, they both access your network the same way, using the same ports. The only thing that may have something to do with it is your cellular network bandwidth as Gizmo can cache tracks ahead of when they're played; EOS only caches the current song, and maybe the next, I'm not 100% certain on that.

Is EOS able to connect at all when on your cellular network?

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »

I have checked, and I am actually using the correct Access Key. It works when on my home WLAN, but not from e.g. cellular network.  And the same access key works with Gizmo, internal or external network.
Hey Trumpetguy, open up the settings for your server in eos and ensure that "Remember connectable IP" isn't checked. If it is, eos has cached your home network's IP address and is only attempting to use that.
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!
Android: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0
BB10: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79677.0

Trumpetguy

Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:08:43 pm »

Hey Trumpetguy, open up the settings for your server in eos and ensure that "Remember connectable IP" isn't checked. If it is, eos has cached your home network's IP address and is only attempting to use that.

It knew it had to be something in my end, and unchecking did the trick!  Thanks :-)

Now it's only the other matters left. Maybe they are specific for my phone also.
Pages: [1]   Go Up