INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: noticed a hdd went down on me, lost all tags, recently imported messed up.  (Read 2161 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

Can someone explain to me what i am doing wrong?
A hdd of mine went down, and i replaced the drive (containing over 5000 files.. movies, music videos) this morning when i woke up i noticed jrivers recently imported had all those files in it again, and also noticed all my series tags have been changed (series i have setup as all alfred hitchcock movies would be under alfred hitchcock (through out whole library) now all alfred hitchcock the series is filled in with name field.. loosing everything i had setup.)  Music videos i use artist name as series, now all music videos series is back to name field as well.

and my media subtype has changed too, some of the music videos i had tagged as music video are showing up as movie, and some movies i had tagged as music video are showing up as movie.

Can someone have a look at my settings and let me know what im doing wrong please?

i was under the impression if we had "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)" that if a hdd went down, the files would not be removed from library, and tags would not be changed.

(all these files from the hdd replacement were tagged over 2years ago, and been in the library up until 2 days ago, and now have to all be redone.)

thanks for clarification.
P.S im aware one could do a library restore, however i've imported a bunch of new files since the hdd went down (and im not 100% sure when hdd went down, to due to the fact i have a multitude of hdd's) is there a way for me to lock these files when hdd's go down? so that upon new import this doesnt happen to me again?

Arindelle

Re: noticed a hdd went down on me, lost all tags, recently imported messed up.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:55:00 am »

Assumption first. the files  on the disk are in  the exact same folder(path) structure; you made sure the new drive (or old drive that is now working .. not sure what you mean by "down") has the same drive letter as before. If the drive died or windows didn't recognize it for a time, another drive or device could have been allocated the letter of the drive that the JR database pointed to.

-- restore a library backup -- if you forgot to do one manually, there will be a backup file saved automatically that you can use.

Can someone have a look at my settings and let me know what im doing wrong please?
as for your settings, how can one look at them ? There are a bunch of auto settings they are not necessarily wrong, just IMO risky -- like tagging on import and run autoimport in background. Depends if you are more couch potato or tagging paranoiac (I'm the latter)

You probably have a lot of "auto" this and thats set-up. If its set to auto tag on import well there you have one thing to change. Either don't use these setting and tag later (IMO the best way) or whenever you are doing heavy maintenance or something fails make sure you turn off autoimport to run in the background.

Also you might want to take the time to make sure that the important fields are being written to disk, just in case your library backups are corrupted.

If my assumptions are wrong get back there are other ways to get back tag information from audio, from video often you have to count on library or physical backups

HTPC4ME

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »

all drives for jriver library are on server 2008... mapped.

\\Server\Movies\(all movie hard drives)\all folders within those hdd's

no other drives went down (down...destroyed/inoperable, mount location no longer exists), nor were any inserted in months... if they had been i assume they would show up as drive letter not mapped.

-- restore a library backup -- if you forgot to do one manually, there will be a backup file saved automatically that you can use.
this cannot be done due to...
P.S im aware one could do a library restore, however i've imported a bunch of new files since the hdd went down (and im not 100% sure when hdd went down, due to the fact i have a multitude of hdd's) is there a way for me to lock these files when hdd's go down? so that upon new import this doesnt happen to me again?

as for your settings, how can one look at them ? There are a bunch of auto settings they are not necessarily wrong, just IMO risky -- like tagging on import and run autoimport in background. Depends if you are more couch potato or tagging paranoiac (I'm the latter)

You probably have a lot of "auto" this and thats set-up. If its set to auto tag on import well there you have one thing to change. Either don't use these setting and tag later (IMO the best way) or whenever you are doing heavy maintenance or something fails make sure you turn off autoimport to run in the background.

Also you might want to take the time to make sure that the important fields are being written to disk, just in case your library backups are corrupted.

If my assumptions are wrong get back there are other ways to get back tag information from audio, from video often you have to count on library or physical backups
so from pic provided untick Get movie and tv info? i noticed i have update for external changes unticked, however "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)" is selected, does one need to tick update for external changes to enable "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)"?
also should i untick write file tags when analyzing auido, getting cover art, and applying folder-based tags?
thank you for reply, and your time.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:27:11 pm »

"Fix  Broken Links" is probably the culprit.   I've had the exact same thing you describe happen to me before when a drive was unavailable for a while, even with the "protect files on missing drives" option enabled.  A big chunk of files suddenly showed up as recently imported with incomplete or incorrect tag info, etc.

The "protect files on missing drives" option seems to work ok for drives that are only momentarily missing, but does not seem to work reliably for me when a drive has been missing for a while, especially with network drives. What seems to happen is that eventually Fix Broken Links concludes that the links are actually broken and trashes them all.  When the drive gets reconnected everything gets reimported from scratch leading to all kinds of mischief like you're seeing, because not all library fields are written (or can be written) to tags, so new library info is based on what's in the tags/sidecars only.  

My personal solution is to turn off fix broken links entirely.  I personally don't have broken links cropping up very often, and when I do I actually want to know about them. I don't want them fixed automatically without my being aware of it.  The "protect missing drives" options seemed like a nice idea, but after my third library restore after a big chunk of my library got dumped and reimported I just turned it off.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

so even though i have "Update for external changes" UNTICKED, one still needs to click on the drop down and chose NO, instead of "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)"
Maybe ive read it wrong this whole time (DOH) i had assumed "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)" was underneath "Update for External Changes" so therefor if "Update for external changes" was unticked then it would ignore.
thanks for clarification guys.

P.S. i don't mean to keep editing my posts, however Mozilla firefox still does not allow for previewing in jriver forum. so i have to post, preview then modify. Not about to switch to ie, or chrome, big fan of firefox.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:53:38 pm »

so even though i have "Update for external changes" UNTICKED, one still needs to click on the drop down and chose NO, instead of "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)"
Maybe ive read it wrong this whole time (DOH) i had assumed "fix broken links (protect files on missing drive)" was underneath "Update for External Changes" so therefor if "Update for external changes" was unticked then it would ignore.
thanks for clarification guys.

AFAIK the two settings are not related; it's not "under" update for external changes, dark skins just make it look that way.  On lighter skins, Fix broken links has a large black down arrow in front of it instead of check box reflecting that it's ternary instead of binary (i.e. no checkbox).  Look at that menu in Noire and you'll see what I mean.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 12:56:07 pm »

AFAIK the two settings are not related; it's not "under" update for external changes, dark skins just make it look that way.  On lighter skins, Fix broken links has a large black down arrow in front of it instead of check box reflecting that it's ternary instead of binary (i.e. no checkbox)
Thats the problem then.. i always use dark skins. grrr. ok i've now chosen NO.

Is there a test you guys can think of for me to run?

Do you think this would work... i do have spare hdd's laying around. perhaps i could fill one, then remove it and check back in a couple weeks, then reinsert it, and see if that fixes problem. (verifying if files stay in library (red marks) and once drive is brought back the red marked files should remove the red marks, and no tags should be changed, nor should they show up in recently imported.). Providing of course i get these settings worked out properly.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 01:14:31 pm »

have to admit those edits I missed didn't even see the screen shot ... no worries though. 

First you want to not lose the tags on the old stuff and the new right?

Its not so much fix broken links that bothers me. Its autoimport, and the tagging/indexing it does when I'm not aware of it ... regardless if autoimport does not run automatically in the background (which frankly I don't see why it has to except for TV recording, maybe  - because no one downloads movies constantly right  ;) ?) the options won't be run unless you choose to run an import that way. At the very least any time something fails or you are going to be doing a lot of tagging or importing. I would turn autosync and auto import off -- at least temporarily. With a before and after library backup if they are really big modifications. Easy to say in hindsight though  :P

got to run out right now stores are closing

HTPC4ME

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 02:20:38 pm »

Well ive shut off auto import, and auto tagging, hope this helps in the future.

you guys know of anyway to select a whole drive and then turn on tag "date imported", and be able to click the date imported tag, and change it?
maybe i can select the whole drive, and change the date to 2010, then our recently imported will come back. right now the tag "date imported" is unclickable...can this be unlocked?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 02:53:46 pm »

Couple of things,
1) Check you Library Backups (MC makes these all the time so you may be surprised how recent one is)
2) If you did a "Update Tags from Library" on these files at some point then you should have files that can be reimported with the correct meta data as their Sidecar Files then hold these updated values
3) I too don't use autoimport as I don't want stuff changing I did not do.

Also have a look at these "views"
- "~d=r" : this shows the removed items in the database
- "~d=a" : this shows all items in the database
JRiver CEO Elect

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:13:40 am »

just realized something... if turning off.. then when one does delete files those will remain with Red X's in library.. whats best bet to avoid messy library, if deleting items, then turn yes back on, then auto import, then turn it back off for when hdd crashes next time?

Thanks guys for all the help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 08:31:28 pm »

If you delete the files from within MC you solve all problems; no broken links, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up