INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: do another transfer without ejecting, disconnecting and reconnecting the Pono  (Read 1785 times)

shieber

• Recent member

I am having trouble with the following: After I transfer from the Library to the Pono, it does not allow me to do another transfer without ejecting, disconnecting and reconnecting the Pono. Is there any way to activate Music Transfer Mode without disconnecting after a prior transfer?

If you have just the internal and one swappable card, not such a deal, but if you have multiple cards, its adds to the complication of keeping track of what is where and how to update or change what is one the cards. Basically to merely update you have to find the track on card, delete, then retransfers it. You can't just go back and forth between finding where stuff is because you have to go through the whole eject/rebuild//reconnect process after each transfer. The database doesn't keep track of which card a file has been transferred to. You have to search manually-- the more cards you have the more onerous it becomes to merely update, e.g., overs.
I think I have to delete everything and go back and stick to only using sync playlists, although this is rather limiting too if you want to make changes to what's in the playlist (what if it doesn't fit anymore)?

Charles Hansen

• Recent member

Hello There,

Yes, there is a very easy way to do this. First of all when your player is connected to your computer, you can either use the Finder (Mac) or the File Explorer (Windows) to give a name to each micro-SD card. While this does not yet show up in PonoMusic World (PMW), by switching to Finder or File Explorer, you will know instantly which card is loaded.

The other way to know which card is loaded is to go to the upper left-hand corner of PMW and select "Pono Player, Drives, and Devices". This will show a list of the files loaded onto both the internal memory and the card, along with a way to tell which is which. Currently it is trivial to select tracks and then delete them by right clicking on them (I forget the equivalent for right-clicking on a Mac, but if you have a Mac you will know what to do).

At the present time, I don't believe that there is a way to move tracks from one location to another, but I fully expect that feature will be added before too long.

As far as starting a new session goes, this is not necessary at all!

Simply go to the bottom left corner of PMW and there is a box called "Action Window". If it is not open, simply click on the blue arrows in the upper right corner of the box. One of the choices will be "Sync Handheld". Click on this and you will get two new boxes, one for each memory location -- the internal memory and the micro-SD card. Again, the only indication as to which is which (at least on a Windows machine) is the drive letter, so the worst case is to switch to the Finder or File Explorer to see which drive letter corresponds to the desired memory location.

Then click on the "Music Library" selection in the upper left-hand corner of PMW and organize the music by Artist, Album, and so forth. Drag and drop the desired files into the yellow "bucket" and you should be all set to go.

Hope this helps!

shieber

• Recent member

Thanks, this helps in several ways. I was afraid if I clicked on Sync in the action window, PMW would try to sync the whole catalogue to two disks that are present, and just dump what would fit, or. . . .so, if I understand you correctly, clicking on Sync will only re-address the drives for transfer.

Naming works when the cards are in the pono, but when you want to know which is which in the case, you have to mark them, which I have done with a small amount of paint on a toothpick. Of course, one still needs a file manager to find individual files.

I'd still like to have a master catalogue of all the music and be able to sync/update each card without manually picking, that would be near perfect, but. . .we can't have everything. ;)

thanks again, this is a big help, sh
Pages: [1]   Go Up