INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With Gizmo - Is there a way to switch User Accounts or Libraries  (Read 2311 times)

musicluvr

I'm a new MC 20 user looking for a solution or alternative recommendations.

My family runs from kids to seniors.  I would like to restrict our music library to the different users.  I was reading up on the User Account control and it offers a nice solution.  I also considered creating multiple libraries and selectively importing music into them.

The family has two PC's and an android tablet.  One PC is the dedicated MC server connected to the audio system, the other a MC client.  I setup the android tablet + Gizmo to control family room music.

I have been reading the wiki and Interact but I cannot find a solution that lets me restrict the music libraries and that works on both the MC client and Android + Gizmo.

My understanding/experimentation is that I cannot change the MC library using either the MC PC Client or the Android/Gizmo.   Looking at the User Account capability I believe I can change that on the MC PC Client but not on Android/Gizmo.

Are my understandings above correct or am I missing something?  I would appreciate your help/advice on a solution.

Thanks

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: With Gizmo - Is there a way to switch User Accounts or Libraries
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:11:39 pm »

I'm a new MC 20 user looking for a solution or alternative recommendations.

My family runs from kids to seniors.  I would like to restrict our music library to the different users.  I was reading up on the User Account control and it offers a nice solution.  I also considered creating multiple libraries and selectively importing music into them.

The family has two PC's and an android tablet.  One PC is the dedicated MC server connected to the audio system, the other a MC client.  I setup the android tablet + Gizmo to control family room music.

I have been reading the wiki and Interact but I cannot find a solution that lets me restrict the music libraries and that works on both the MC client and Android + Gizmo.

My understanding/experimentation is that I cannot change the MC library using either the MC PC Client or the Android/Gizmo.   Looking at the User Account capability I believe I can change that on the MC PC Client but not on Android/Gizmo.

Are my understandings above correct or am I missing something?  I would appreciate your help/advice on a solution.

Thanks

Greetings:

I was just thinking about this a few days ago.

I helped someone signed up for EOS. When he connected to my server, he was pulling my playlist from where I left off.

I had played one of the Bob James Flacs,  this was the first screen that showed up on his device.

I had to shut down down my server to temporarily create a connection error, and also asked him to power off his device, then it cleared to let him start with the setting.

The user account on the server will in deed be good if Gizmo and other remotes could use the info. I had created  or added this friend of mine and his wife to my account in the past.

Can our remotes be made to make use of user account  for logging in or connecting?

Thanks
George

Soul_Rvr911

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:13:15 pm »

I don't think this is possible right now. I looked at what's available in MCWS: there are services to change the library that's loaded, but this would impact all remote clients. And Media Network is independent of any user accounts that you might have set up in Media Center.
Check out my JRiver remote application eos, available for Android and BlackBerry 10!
Android: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89392.0
BB10: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79677.0

Ekpen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:17:34 pm »

I don't think this is possible right now. I looked at what's available in MCWS: there are services to change the library that's loaded, but this would impact all remote clients. And Media Network is independent of any user accounts that you might have set up in Media Center.

Ok, thanks
George

musicluvr

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 07:12:34 pm »

Happy New Year Folks,

I am still looking for a solution or suggestions to solve my implementation issue.

"I would like to know how to switch Libraries or Users that works on both the MC client and Android + Gizmo."

What other MC capabilities would off a similar result and also work via Gizmo on an Android tablet?

Thank you.

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:24 pm »

I currently use Gizmo to control my two zones at home as well as accessing my media on the road and it all works great. Yea! ;D I am now trying to add the ability so I can tag some of my kid friendly media with a User account for them so they can use their tablets to access said approved media. The only way it seems able to do that is to switch the server over to the kids account which limits my access to the media as well. Is this still the case with User accounts? If so would really like to add a BIG vote behind making this type of active multi user setup possible, as I would guess this would be a pretty common goal for users. For now if it's verified this is not possible, I think I'm gonna setup version 19 again, setup the Kids User account on that, change the server ports and setup a second server for the kids and then I can continue to access all the media thru the v.20 server.
Thanks!

joshhuggins

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 01:10:56 pm »

So I ended up setting up v.19 to run along side of my main install of v.20 to act as the server for my kids media access and it's working pretty good. They login to that library server that I can leave running as their user account so it host only their approved media, and I can leave my main server running as admin so I can access all my media without restrictions. Only one little issue with user tagging that I will post in another thread. Only bummer is I don't get some of the benefits of the new features in v20 while working with the kids server, but that's not too big of a deal.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up