INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates  (Read 3824 times)

roqpyl

• Recent member
Duplicates
« on: January 01, 2015, 12:10:00 pm »

Why does "My Device" have 7(!) copies of Kiko when iTunes media has just one? All 7 show the same source. I just did another sync after recovering files deleted from "My Device" after discovering delete means trash, not remove from JRiver listing. How do I start over? Do I delete from "Library or My Device?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 08:40:50 am »

When you delete from the PonoPlayer storage listed under My Device, you delete the file from the PonoPlayer's file system. 

When you delete a file in your library, it gives you the choice to:
1. just delete the entry in the library
2. delete the entry and also move the file to trash
3. delete the entry and also remove the file entirely from the computer's file system
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

roqpyl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 04:38:34 pm »

Thanks for the help. Somewhere somehow I deleted a ton of iTunes tunes in ponoworld and I still don't know how. I for sure wasn't offered the choices you mention but have since that occurrence.  Thanks for clarifying this.

roqpyl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 08:27:58 am »

And what is the difference between "clear library" and the different delta options? Sorry if I'm slow to this but I am having an awful time of it. And what is "in queue"? I know what the word means but not the context here. I just died to reload ponoplayer with 8000+ songs from iTunes and after syncing the player had 184 songs only. Really making me nuts. Library and my device had thousands of tunes both.

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:13:16 am »

"Clear library" will do just that, clear out all media entries in your current library.  It doesn't do anything to the actual files that the database entries point to.  You can always make a library backup prior to clearing the library (on the same menu).   PMW automatically creates periodic backups.

Not sure where you're seeing "in queue", but if it's in the file list for the PonoPlayer device, it means the tracks are queued up for transfer to the device.  When you click the Transfer button they'll be copied to the device.

So you are trying to load songs onto PonoPlayer.  Let's start simple and see if we can tell what's going wrong. 

1. Find one song in PMW that you'd like to put on the device: click on the Audio section in the left-hand tree view, then click on Files. Type part of the track name into the search box in the upper right and it should show up in the list.
2. Try playing it first in PMW: double click it in the list
3. If it plays OK, drag it onto the device and you should see the track "in queue" when you select the device.
4. Now click the transfer button and it should be copied to the device.

roqpyl

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:10:00 pm »

Ok. Some progress and thank you. I thought sync put them on the player. Did not know that transfer was the final step. Maybe drag and drop is better? I tried to make a new library of all iTunes but PW couldn't play them. There was a red icon showing missing file yet the file was there and played in iTunes. Now "my device" is only showing a backup of the stuff I removed from the player when it had too many duplicates. "My Device" doesn't find any iTunes folders anymore though it used to.
Bottom line is I loaded songs onto the player successfully but I got the "not properly ejected" warning (I think before it had finished the transfer) but I hadn't touched it. Should I delete the songs on the player before trying again to avoid the duplicate problem again?
Sorry about all this.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24:18 am »

The iTunes file problem is known.  It's aiff files.  It should be fixed by a firmware update soon.

roqpyl

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 06:19:38 am »

Thanks. I need to chill out a bit I think being as this is all still pretty new, eh? I was wondering if there is a fix in mind to enable jumping to the "M's" for example so it isn't necessary to scroll through the "my device" lists over and over.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 08:17:38 am »

I tried to make a new library of all iTunes but PW couldn't play them.

Let's tackle this one first.  Please explain exactly how you are going about this, just list the steps you take (1,2,3, etc.).  Then I can try the same steps on my computer.

For example, here's what I would do if I wanted to import songs I usually play in iTunes into PMW:

1. On the main menu, go to File / Library / Import
2. Select "Import a single folder"
3. On the Media Import dialog, make sure "Audio" is checked.
4. Click the Browse button and navigate in Finder to the folder where the songs are located and click the Open button.
5. Click the Finish button and let PMW import these files.  It won't actually move the song files anywhere, it just analyzes information about them and adds them to the PMW database (library).
6. Test playback of the songs in PMW.

roqpyl

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 03:52:32 pm »

? It worked fine. Yesterday, using the same procedure (I believe), files loaded but it said there was missing audio. There was a red circle icon indicating the problem. I don't know but it seems ok. Thanks for the guidance and your patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up