INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: import library?  (Read 1398 times)

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
import library?
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:47:05 pm »

I have a mac mini and use it to run both Mavericks (OS 10.9) as well as windows 8.1 using bootcamp. I have been using windows 8.1 to run MC20 and have just purchased a master license  so I could also run the mac version of MC20. My question is how can I import (or share) the library from windows MC20 into/with the mac version when I can only run one operating system at a time (either booted into the mac OS or into win 8.1 running through bootcamp)? Would rather not re-import all the music files as it would probably take a couple of weeks to import and analyze as there are now nearly 103k albums in MC20 library in windows MC20.
Thought about trying to export the library within windows, but not sure how to do this as when I reboot into the mac OS I can't open or use the windows partition of the hard drive. Music files all live on a large external array using thunderbolt.
Thanks for your help.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: import library?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »

The library backup is a simple zip file that you can save on a flash drive or just email it to yourself. When you restore the library on the Mac partition, you'll need to change the database locations of your music using the "rename, move, and copy" tool. For instance do a find and replace for "E:\Music" and change to "Volumes/Music" or wherever the path is configured on the Mac.

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:10 pm »

Thanks. So the format of the backup library file from windows MC20 that I would copy to a flash drive is readable on the mac OS?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:32:13 pm »

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:07:52 pm »

I have gotten the backup database moved to the mac and restored, but am having problems with the rename, move copy tool. With windows 8.1 the path was to F:/itunes media/music and then to individual folders for each artist. All I am trying to do is change the path from F to Lickity Split which is the actual name of the hard drive. From within the tool am I using "update database to point to new location" or "update and copy database to point to new location" or "rename" from within the first popup menu? Do I check the Directories check box? From with that do I just enter the name of the drive (Lickity Split) to replace F:/? Or do I need to include more of the path? I want to be sure that it is not changing anything with respect to the individual music files within the hard drive as that is also being used by iTunes.
The first time I tried to do this I changed the path from F:/iTunes Media/Music to Lickity Split/iTunes Media/Music and although it seems to effectuate the changes when I tried to play a song it could not be found. Help would be appreciated; the more specific the better as I have no experience using this tool with MC before and don't fully understand the implications and nuances of its use. Not even sure how to begin the process i.e.. choose files from under Audio in the MC sidebar and so command A (select all) as the first step?
Again I will be very thankful if someone could walk me through this procedure as I do no want to screw up slightly more than 1.3 million song files on the array.

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »

I have been trying every way I can think of to make this work without success. Tried using the "rename, move, and copy" tool to find and replace F:\ to Volumes/Lickity Split/ and nothing changes.

If I check the Directories box I can only set the base path to Volumes/Lickity Split/iTunes Media/Music but then that fails because it does not show the path to each individual artist folder/album name folder/songs

Really would appreciate any more help or suggestions. I assume this process of moving windows libraries to the mac is one that is done all the time so is familiar to many folks.

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:50 pm »

Also I have not figured out the difference between / and \. In the "rename, move, and copy" tool find & replace shows an example of changing drive paths using the / but the files I have selected in the column on the right all show the path with \ between each location. Which is right to use. i.e.. present path is F:\iTunes media\music but find & replace seem to indicate the use of / between each location.
Pages: [1]   Go Up