INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Id firmware for testing  (Read 22819 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
New Id firmware for testing
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:02:22 pm »

This is a beta of the next Id firmware revision. It has the following new features:

1) Automatically makes a backup copy of your library (in /export) on boot.
2) The main menu includes a Id rename function.
3) Alsa mixer control from main menu.
4) A new External Media Menu which lets you:
   a) Control USB stick/disk availability on the Id.
   b) Allow use of NAS drives, CIFS shares.
5) Makes the update function verbose.
6) Better reboot/shutdown functions, waits for the MC to exit gracefully on the Id before reboot/shutdown.

New as of beta3 (2/6/2015)

7 ) Windows shares can be specified by the windows machine name as well as IP/DNS addresses.
8 ) Some menu rewording.

New as of beta4

9) internal use only

New as of beta5 (3/2/2015)

10) Usb drives are shared on the network, moved from /media to /mnt
11) Access key preserved (if possible) across firmware re-install.

Changes as of beta6 (3/3/2015)

12) Moved USB media to /media and the network shares to /mnt
13) Fixed the status display for usb disks.

Changes as of beta7 (3/6/2015)

14) Optionally try to preserve the MC settings and the Library during firmware update.
15) The Network configuration GUI will be exited (if up) upon reboot/shutdown.

Changes as of beta8

16) Not released

Changes as of beta9 (3/12/2015)

17) Renamed the Id's network shares and comments to make it more obvious as to what's going on when there is a mix of material on the Id's internal drive as well as material on any external drive plugged into the Id.
18) Linux kernel upgraded to that latest backport kernel (3.16-0.bpo.3-686-pae). This is a big deal. Don't install this upgrade unless you want to be a guinea pig.
19) Added a web browser so the links work from the MC menu in GUI mode.
20) Fixed the boot screen bugs to allow one to get at alternate boot configs if you can't for example boot the GUI.
21) Change the splash screen to get the icon out of the way.

Changes as of beta10 (3/17/2015)

22) One more linux kernel update.
23) Fix a text boot selection bug.

Beta10 was released as the OTA upgrade which is available from your Id menu.

Changes as of beta11 (4/10/2015)

24) Remote control via VNC or Remote Desktop (use the IP of the Id). This works whether the mode is GUI or headless. The default password is remote. You can change it from the Id menu. MC in headless mode will normally be running minimized, you can click on it to bring it up.

Before trying to use this update you MUST backup your library first.

Do this by going into GUI mode and in MC File->Library->Backup Library
You can choose the path /export/media for the backup (then to be safe you can copy it off with windows networking).

The update doesn't touch the Id's /export partition so if you've loaded it with media you should be ok. As usual you should have a backup of your media as a precaution.

Here is the link:
http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepairbeta11.iso
MD5 sum to make sure the download was clean:
http://files.jriver.com/Id/idrepairbeta11.iso.md5

Burn it to a usb stick >= 1GB in size. Use the instructions from the restoring the Id firmware thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94636.msg651618#msg651618

Feedback appreciated.

Hilton

Re: New Id firmware for beta testing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:21 pm »

Yeah! All great new features. Will give that a try tonight. :)

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:23:59 am »

Does this firmware update the Intel NUC BIOS? Or is this an update to MC?

If it's the latter, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
-Brent

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 10:33:34 am »

The BIOS is a separate update.  We run a slightly older BIOS to avoid a bug in the newest one, so it's not a good idea to update it.

This update is for the Id firmware.  It includes Linux, our utilities, and MC.

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »

Thanks. I will be able to work on this Monday night and will get right back to you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »

Updated 2/6/2015. See top post.

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 05:43:06 pm »

tried address //jdcloud/music as well as static ip 192.168.1.150/music. the NAS is WD cloud and I tried both yes and no to "is it windows" (the WD should be linux). Selected RW and both guest (which the music drive is) and used my username / password. each time replied failure. Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:59:37 pm »

Try this:

//192.168.1.150/music

It isn't Windows.

Try logging on from Explorer to make sure you can, then use that login and password.

Does it work from Explorer?

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 06:02:04 pm »

yup \\jdcloud\music takes me right there

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 06:18:15 pm »

Looks like it's a problem connecting to the wireless network. Stuck on "obtaining IP address". I assumed it was connected. How do I connect under this new interface?

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 06:39:04 pm »

Ok didn't realize I lost network info on reloading I'd firmware. That's fixed and it acknowledged network drives. I included the drive with MC playlist rules and will see if I can access it to reload rules. Running import now with over 15k hires flac/wav files. Stay tuned

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 07:43:32 pm »

works perfectly including rules. thanks

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:33 pm »

Yea, glad it works.

You discovered that reloading the firmware resets the wifi. It pretty much resets everything..

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 10:09:47 am »

Yea, glad it works.

You discovered that reloading the firmware resets the wifi. It pretty much resets everything..

Yea, got it working too.

REALLY appreciate the ID name change, and even more, mounting external drives (NAS) !!!!!

But probably unrelated to the new features, I'm still having a problem with double track entry when accessing a library from a synology.
Discussed it in this thread  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94594.0
And concluded in that thread it was due to having the synology's DNLA on. So I turned DNLA off, but lost the ability to directly load the NAS......
Now with the ability to directly access the synology again, I have to believe i just don't understand the library / track storage stuff well enough.
Can you point me to a really good overview ?

Again, many thanks !!!
Best,  mark

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:34 am »

Yea, got it working too.

REALLY appreciate the ID name change, and even more, mounting external drives (NAS) !!!!!

But probably unrelated to the new features, I'm still having a problem with double track entry when accessing a library from a synology.
Discussed it in this thread  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94594.0
And concluded in that thread it was due to having the synology's DNLA on. So I turned DNLA off, but lost the ability to directly load the NAS......
Now with the ability to directly access the synology again, I have to believe i just don't understand the library / track storage stuff well enough.
Can you point me to a really good overview ?

Again, many thanks !!!
Best,  mark
When you load a library from another machine either as a DLNA library or Media Center Library server the client MC unloads the current library then requests all of the files metadata in one operation from the new DLNA or Library server. When connecting to a DLNA server this is done with the Search function. If you're not doing anything more complex than this, you should not see 2 entries unless the NAS DLNA server is returning 2 for some reason.

Groundhog

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 03:08:49 pm »

I have the beta3 firmware installed and have access to the network share on my NAS. That functionality is working just fine. I've wanted this functionality since the Id first arrived. Thanks!

I do have a problem though. When the Id boots up, I get a message that the trial license has expired. How do I get the original license reinstalled?

Thanks,
-Brent

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:31 pm »

I have the beta3 firmware installed and have access to the network share on my NAS. That functionality is working just fine. I've wanted this functionality since the Id first arrived. Thanks!

I do have a problem though. When the Id boots up, I get a message that the trial license has expired. How do I get the original license reinstalled?

Thanks,
-Brent
Strange. The update is supposed to preserve your license. Can you PM me the serial number off the bottom of the Id and I'll send you the registration code.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 10:34:54 pm »

The BIOS is a separate update.  We run a slightly older BIOS to avoid a bug in the newest one, so it's not a good idea to update it.

This update is for the Id firmware.  It includes Linux, our utilities, and MC.

New Id firmware can choose "12" to upgrade?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 10:41:37 pm »

New Id firmware can choose "12" to upgrade?
Not quite yet. It's still beta but looking good.

If you want to install the beta you can download it from the top link and burn it to a usb stick boot the Id off of that stick and do the firmware update. Otherwise just wait for the online update (number 12 on the menu). I'll let everyone know when that's ready.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2015, 07:39:19 am »

Not quite yet. It's still beta but looking good.

If you want to install the beta you can download it from the top link and burn it to a usb stick boot the Id off of that stick and do the firmware update. Otherwise just wait for the online update (number 12 on the menu). I'll let everyone know when that's ready.

What about when the official version will be released?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2015, 11:11:22 am »

What about when the official version will be released?
It's pretty much ready to go but needs to be tested across the existing Id revisions to make sure they can all be updated without trouble.
Perhaps the coming week.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 01:39:22 am »

It's pretty much ready to go but needs to be tested across the existing Id revisions to make sure they can all be updated without trouble.
Perhaps the coming week.

I look forward to the arrival of the official version of the firmware! :)

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »

I have found that the firmware (or perhaps the default settings) has a missing path to the default File Location --> Video. I get an error message if I try to proceed without filling in some value.

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 07:13:37 am »

I installed the new beta firmware & ran into the same problem I had when I first received the ID. The monitor screen went blank & the tiny led indicator showed there was no signal coming from the ID. Ran the boot repair option & that fixed the problem.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 10:52:25 am »

Thanks all for testing the beta firmware.

I'm thinking of moving the external shares to be mounted out of the /media directory and into the /mnt directory then allowing the /media directory to be shared by the Id.

Any comments? I'm concerned about permission and ownership issues for usb devices created on some other machine then used on the Id but then shared by the Id on the network.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 07:21:03 pm »

Updated in the top post to beta5.
This is probably the next stable release.

The main change is the moving of mounted usb drives to /mnt and the sharing of /mnt on the network so that the drives can be remotely accessed.
Also, there was a fix to the access key on restore which was not being preserved.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 12:45:58 pm »

Updated in the top post to beta6.
Found a bug in the "Display Status" of the attached drives and swapped the external drivers to /media and the network shares to /mnt.
I'm really thinking this will be the release version.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 09:23:22 pm »

I found a problem with beta 6. I loaded it on 2 Ids, and they both ended up with identical Access Keys and UUID's:

"reverting to default settings or updating Id firmware causes duplicate UUIDs"
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96001.0

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 10:13:48 pm »

I have found problems when I try to drag or resize the JRiver MC interface around in the GUI, especially if I am dragging or resizing up or to the left. The cursor jumps around all over the place. Sometimes I totally lose control of what I am doing, and MC ends up on some random place on the screen, or even off of it. I do not seem to have this problem with the Main Menu window, though.

At first, I thought it was the mouse, so I changed mice, but it still happens. I do not remember this happening with earlier firmware versions (though that may be my imagination), so that is why I am putting it here.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 10:59:50 pm »

I found a problem with beta 6. I loaded it on 2 Ids, and they both ended up with identical Access Keys and UUID's:

Had you installed a previous beta? That's probably when it happened. That was one of the things fixed in the last beta.
You can always reset the key in the GUI.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 11:01:01 pm »

I have found problems when I try to drag or resize the JRiver MC interface around in the GUI, especially if I am dragging or resizing up or to the left. The cursor jumps around all over the place. Sometimes I totally lose control of what I am doing, and MC ends up on some random place on the screen, or even off of it. I do not seem to have this problem with the Main Menu window, though.

At first, I thought it was the mouse, so I changed mice, but it still happens. I do not remember this happening with earlier firmware versions (though that may be my imagination), so that is why I am putting it here.
I don't think that's changed.
Use the Alt left click to drag and Alt-middle click to resize.
I'll probably disable the non-alt stuff in the next revision.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 11:25:42 pm »

I don't think that's changed.
Use the Alt left click to drag and Alt-middle click to resize.
I'll probably disable the non-alt stuff in the next revision.

Wow, that works much better!!! I can actually control what I am doing now. Though for me, it is Alt-left click to drag, and Alt-right click to resize. Thanks. :)

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 12:05:21 am »

I'm running beta 6 and bios rev 48.

1. When in GUI mode, entering "13" in Main Menu opens "Wireless Network Manager" instead of "Wireless Network Config". Results in an alarm message ("Unnamed> The wicd daemon has shutdown....") when attempting to reboot that must be acknowledged before successful reboot.

2. I assumed the Rfkill command in Wireless Network Config menu was to turn off wireless, but it doesn't. The Id still identifies wireless networks in the neighborhood and their signal strengths.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 12:09:33 am »

I'm running beta 6 and bios rev 48.

1. When in GUI mode, entering "13" in Main Menu opens "Wireless Network Manager" instead of "Wireless Network Config". Results in an alarm message ("Unnamed> The wicd daemon has shutdown....") when attempting to reboot that must be acknowledged before successful reboot.

2. I assumed the Rfkill command in Wireless Network Config menu was to turn off wireless, but it doesn't. The Id still identifies wireless networks in the neighborhood and their signal strengths.

Thanks for testing that. I'll check the GUI mode command 13.
I played with rfkill and as far as I could tell it is unable to disable the internal intel networking card.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 03:42:43 pm »

Bob, I've installed beta 6 earlier today. I can report that reboots are smoother without, so far, any hang-ups which I have regularly experienced beforehand. Also, Id now boots even with the HDMI projector/amp attached, previously it would hang up if this HDMI was attached during the boot sequence (it was always ok with a HDMI monitor, just not ok with the amp-projector). It seems like volume levelling is working, though I'll keep testing.

The only issue I encountered was a couple of minor but unpleasant dropouts while listening to a 5.1 track. I assume this could have been a buffer underrun, though my network is 1000mb. I wish I could set a longer prebuffering than 20s to test it.

I've noticed one major improvement: JRemote playhead lag when tracks change is now down from 45 s to only 15 seconds. There really ought to be no lag, but this is so much better. However, it means this issue is not specific to JRemote alone but also to Id. I'll try to get time set aside to compile a proper issue report on this.

Name change was easy, update sequence works. Overall, it all seems very good, many thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 06:11:42 pm »

Bob, I've installed beta 6 earlier today. I can report that reboots are smoother without, so far, any hang-ups which I have regularly experienced beforehand. Also, Id now boots even with the HDMI projector/amp attached, previously it would hang up if this HDMI was attached during the boot sequence (it was always ok with a HDMI monitor, just not ok with the amp-projector). It seems like volume levelling is working, though I'll keep testing.

The only issue I encountered was a couple of minor but unpleasant dropouts while listening to a 5.1 track. I assume this could have been a buffer underrun, though my network is 1000mb. I wish I could set a longer prebuffering than 20s to test it.

I've noticed one major improvement: JRemote playhead lag when tracks change is now down from 45 s to only 15 seconds. There really ought to be no lag, but this is so much better. However, it means this issue is not specific to JRemote alone but also to Id. I'll try to get time set aside to compile a proper issue report on this.

Name change was easy, update sequence works. Overall, it all seems very good, many thanks.
Thanks for the testing. The audio issue is curious. I'm not aware of a reason why that should have changed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »

Beta7 is up. Updated in the top post.
An option to try to preserve the MC settings and the Library has been added.
Also, the Network configuration GUI will be exited upon reboot/shutdown.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 01:23:06 pm »

Bob, may I ask a couple of questions about the new firmware, which I am still testing (successfully) please?

What is the mixer for?

If I connect to a NAS (effectively the shared out volume on my Mac, which is currently served by MC on the Mac) should I expect fewer issues with network or Mac-induced etc drop-outs? Would I lose anything by removing MC from the Mac and only running it natively on the Id?

Finally, if I were to do the above, can I transfer the library, considering that all file location references would have to change?

Thank you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 02:48:40 pm »

Bob, may I ask a couple of questions about the new firmware, which I am still testing (successfully) please?

What is the mixer for?
We initialize the master mixer and pcm mixer to 100% while booting but that doesn't seem to work on some devices which need to have individual channels turned on and in some cases the mute switch is on a different control.
The alsa mixer lets you control all of that.
If I connect to a NAS (effectively the shared out volume on my Mac, which is currently served by MC on the Mac) should I expect fewer issues with network or Mac-induced etc drop-outs? Would I lose anything by removing MC from the Mac and only running it natively on the Id?
That might be somewhat more efficient. Of course if your Mac has to spin up to provide content you may still get a hesitation when playing a track.
It's certainly worth a try.
Finally, if I were to do the above, can I transfer the library, considering that all file location references would have to change?
Thank you.
The libraries aren't really portable yet because of the filesystem differences. (ie / vs \ and different forbidden characters).
I know some people have messed with this but I'm not an expert with this..

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 04:38:15 pm »

My feedback so far...

I can finally reset network UUID's by updating the firmware and telling it I do not want to save any of my old settings or libraries. Hooray!

I can actually read the output when I check for software updates, instead of having it zoom by. A nice change. My eyes aren't that fast. ;) It'd be nice if I did not have to reboot unless there is an actual update, though.

In terms of the issues that have been affecting me, it looks good. Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:34 pm »

Beta9 is out. See the notes in the first post. Especially note this!
 Don't install this upgrade unless you want to be a guinea pig.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2015, 04:08:04 pm »

Beta9 is out. See the notes in the first post. Especially note this!
 Don't install this upgrade unless you want to be a guinea pig.

Are you planning to update firmware to where wireless can be disabled? The "switch-off Wi-Fi"or "rfkill" commands still don't work.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2015, 10:29:21 pm »

Are you planning to update firmware to where wireless can be disabled? The "switch-off Wi-Fi"or "rfkill" commands still don't work.
I haven't found a way to do that other than physically removing the card.
Do you have any leads?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2015, 06:46:36 am »

I haven't found a way to do that other than physically removing the card.
Do you have any leads?
No, sorry. Whatever electrical noise generated from wifi is probably minimal compared to electrical noise from the fan anyway. Electrical noise does impact sound quality in my experience. Inserting a Concero usb/spdif converter between the Id and my DAC improved sound quality compared to without the Concero---the improvement not being that dramatic however. I've cut the fan speed to half the default without negative impact whatsoever--no overheating; but then I use the Id strictly as a renderer for audio.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 01:27:16 pm »

Beta10 is out. Same warning as beta 9. This is frozen and will be the basis for the OTA upgrade.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:59 pm »

Got beta 10 installed. Comments so far.........

It is so much easier to read the initial bootloader screen with the logo moved up to the top corner, away from the middle of the screen. Thanks!!!!!

Updating the firmware reset the Id name and the Id library access key to their original values. As discussed before, not necessarily a big deal, since they are easy to change... but when I went to change the access key through the Id GUI, the JRiver MC program window disappeared after it gave me the new key. The desktop and main menu were still there, though. I had to reboot to get everything back on the screen. (I have not tried repeating this yet.)

The upgrade process did seem to retain all the other settings and changes I had made to MC, though, as far as I can tell. All my zones and device settings were still there.

Resizing and moving the MC program window without using the Alt key seems to be a lot more stable now than it was before. Still not perfect, but it does seem to be better. I am not sure if this was a change you made, a change that came with the Debian package... or just my imagination again. ;)

I love the addition of the web browser!!!!!

However, if I have the web browser open, and I am using the Id as a DLNA renderer (pushing music over the network from a Windows computer running MC 20.0.84), the Id does not seem to receive files from the network. From the Windows MC computer's point of view, it looks like the network zone hangs, then it starts pushing files to the Id in rapid succession. From the Id's point of view, no new files appear in the local "Playing Now" section. However, once I close the web browser, the Id starts receiving files normally again.

That's all I got for now. Thanks for making this available.  8)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 10:44:35 pm »

Got beta 10 installed. Comments so far.........

It is so much easier to read the initial bootloader screen with the logo moved up to the top corner, away from the middle of the screen. Thanks!!!!!

Updating the firmware reset the Id name and the Id library access key to their original values. As discussed before, not necessarily a big deal, since they are easy to change... but when I went to change the access key through the Id GUI, the JRiver MC program window disappeared after it gave me the new key. The desktop and main menu were still there, though. I had to reboot to get everything back on the screen. (I have not tried repeating this yet.)

The upgrade process did seem to retain all the other settings and changes I had made to MC, though, as far as I can tell. All my zones and device settings were still there.

Resizing and moving the MC program window without using the Alt key seems to be a lot more stable now than it was before. Still not perfect, but it does seem to be better. I am not sure if this was a change you made, a change that came with the Debian package... or just my imagination again. ;)

I love the addition of the web browser!!!!!

However, if I have the web browser open, and I am using the Id as a DLNA renderer (pushing music over the network from a Windows computer running MC 20.0.84), the Id does not seem to receive files from the network. From the Windows MC computer's point of view, it looks like the network zone hangs, then it starts pushing files to the Id in rapid succession. From the Id's point of view, no new files appear in the local "Playing Now" section. However, once I close the web browser, the Id starts receiving files normally again.

That's all I got for now. Thanks for making this available.  8)
Thanks for the comments.
With the missing main window, it's really easy to accidently change the virtual desktop in which case it looks like MC vanishes, it's there, just on another desktop. Look in the lower left corner for the current desktop number.
There is a bug in the tasking with the current MC revision on the Id. It spawns off the browser and waits for it to exit before continuing. It's fixed but I'm waiting to make sure I have a totally stable build to upload to the update server. Probably later this week if the latest build for linux up on the download page test out ok.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:18 am »

Thanks for the comments.
With the missing main window, it's really easy to accidently change the virtual desktop in which case it looks like MC vanishes, it's there, just on another desktop. Look in the lower left corner for the current desktop number.

Ah, ok. I'll look out for that next time.

There is a bug in the tasking with the current MC revision on the Id. It spawns off the browser and waits for it to exit before continuing. It's fixed but I'm waiting to make sure I have a totally stable build to upload to the update server. Probably later this week if the latest build for linux up on the download page test out ok.

Sounds good. I'll be looking forward to testing it. Thanks.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
Beta 10 HDMI Issue
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 03:54:39 pm »

Bob, it looks like upgrading from Beta 6 or 7 to Beta 10, the first one with the new Linux kernel and drivers, has caused a serious issue for me. Neither mode 2 nor 3 are capable anymore of sustaining HDMI to my Anthem MRX 710. What I mean by that is that if I boot Id with the receiver switched to the Id HDMI input everything works, but only until I switch the receiver to another input or power it off. As soon as I switch it back on, or switch back to the input Id is plugged by HDMI into the receiver, the receiver claims there is "No signal".

Previously, I was able to use the Id while switching inputs and being able to power it on and off. Having said that, previously it only worked if I had booted the Id without it being plugged into the receiver. With older Id if I tied to boot while connected, Id would freeze and would not boot. Now, however, it boots perfectly, but refuses to "maintain" whatever is needed to talk to the receiver between power cycles and input switching.

Is there anything I can test further?

PS. It works in mode 1 (GUI) even without a projector turned on, in other words, it seems to survive input switching and power cycling. It seems the issue is limited to the two text modes. For now I will leave it in GUI even though I don't need a GUI.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Beta 10 HDMI Issue
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 04:41:41 pm »

Bob, it looks like upgrading from Beta 6 or 7 to Beta 10, the first one with the new Linux kernel and drivers, has caused a serious issue for me. Neither mode 2 nor 3 are capable anymore of sustaining HDMI to my Anthem MRX 710. What I mean by that is that if I boot Id with the receiver switched to the Id HDMI input everything works, but only until I switch the receiver to another input or power it off. As soon as I switch it back on, or switch back to the input Id is plugged by HDMI into the receiver, the receiver claims there is "No signal".

Previously, I was able to use the Id while switching inputs and being able to power it on and off. Having said that, previously it only worked if I had booted the Id without it being plugged into the receiver. With older Id if I tied to boot while connected, Id would freeze and would not boot. Now, however, it boots perfectly, but refuses to "maintain" whatever is needed to talk to the receiver between power cycles and input switching.

Is there anything I can test further?

PS. It works in mode 1 (GUI) even without a projector turned on, in other words, it seems to survive input switching and power cycling. It seems the issue is limited to the two text modes. For now I will leave it in GUI even though I don't need a GUI.

You're making my head spin
2 possibilities.
One from the Grub boot menu, boot the older Kernel (3.14.4) and see if there is any difference.
The other, did you update your bios in this process and if so when? That bios changed the HDMI initialization (allowed the Id to boot in GUI mode without an attached monitor).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up