INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Crashes & Can't Stop MC 20.exe in Task Manager  (Read 903 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC Crashes & Can't Stop MC 20.exe in Task Manager
« on: February 08, 2015, 04:11:21 pm »

This happens about once every 2 or 3 days. We will be watching Netflix in Theater View/WMC using the technique described here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93428.msg644985#msg644985

All of a sudden, without us doing anything the screen will revert to some strange spot in WMC. Often while trying to get back to either MC or Netflix we will get a lockup and find MC crashed.

Now I am not asking for JRiver to help with a lockup in WMC. But I would like help on why when I try to close out MC20 in Task Manager I cannot stop the process. I normally can stop MC20.EXE in Task Manager, but not when this problem happens. It is running under Admin and I have privileges. I can stop other processes running under Admin. The only way I can get it closed , so that I can restart MC is by doing a system reboot.

Will send logfile to JRiver referencing this thread.

Thanks for any possible help.

Cheers,
Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Crashes & Can't Stop MC 20.exe in Task Manager
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 04:42:06 pm »

That typically indicates that a hardware driver (or the OS itself) has the process locked.

Admins have a lot of privileges on the system, but drivers run at an even higher level (which is why they can make the computer bluescreen, while software you write or run cannot).

I've seen it from time to time with SageTV when my HD-PVR drivers explode, as they do sometimes.  This probably indicates some kind of bug or problem with your hardware or the drivers for some piece of hardware.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Crashes & Can't Stop MC 20.exe in Task Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:22 am »

Thanks Glynor. Looks like I will need to be certain that all my drivers are up to date. Not much I can do about the OS which is win7/32. I try to keep it regularly updated.

I'm wondering if someone at JRiver has looked at the log files I sent in. Would be interesting to know if they might give any clues to what is going on and what might be causing the crashes.

Cheers,
Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up