INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id bios upgrade  (Read 2339 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Id bios upgrade
« on: February 13, 2015, 01:51:09 pm »

The Id currently uses Intel's bios 0034 because it allows the Id to boot without an attached monitor in the "headless" mode.
Updates past that broke this behavior.

I've been trying to debug an issue where the some Id's won't reboot properly (they hang when coming back up after the reboot).
This seems to be related to the particular SSD installed and I suspect it has something to do with the SSD being reinitialized after reboot and being in some sort of unstable state.

I just tried the most recent from the end of January 0048 to see if it perhaps reinitialized the drive differently and it appears that it does. It also fixes the trouble with headless booting (at least on the Id I tried here).

So you might want to consider updating your Id bios if you see these "hang on reboot" issues.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24709/eng/FY0048.BIO&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=24709

The way to do this is to copy the update (.bio file)  onto a usb key and boot the Id with the usb key in the Id.
Hit F2 to go into bios setup when you see the prompt.
Click on the "wrench".
Update Bios.
When prompted, do NOT choose the online update.
Expand the drive you see on the left side and look for the bios you put there.

(If you don't see a drive you may have to format the USB stick in windows and put the .bio file on it again). Rufus works well for this since it can format the USB with a GPT partition.

Select the .bio file and hit open.
Confirm the bios update.
The Id reboots and starts the process which takes about 5 minutes to finish.
When done, it will reboot again into the Id's normal operating state.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Id bios upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »

More good news.

With this bios update the Id will do HDMI initialization without a monitor attached so you can use it to drive an HDMI amp that requires initialization without a monitor attached and without using a dongle.

Spgcues

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 12:28:46 pm »

My id stopped working. I'm not sure what the issue is, the screen is black with a lot of computer jargon.... does this mean its not booting? I looked in the bios and my bios version is   FYBYT10H.86A.0048.2015.0129.1411
The link you posted has 4 different downloads, I'm not sure which to download or if this is even why it stopped working.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:15 am »

My id stopped working. I'm not sure what the issue is, the screen is black with a lot of computer jargon.... does this mean its not booting? I looked in the bios and my bios version is   FYBYT10H.86A.0048.2015.0129.1411
The link you posted has 4 different downloads, I'm not sure which to download or if this is even why it stopped working.

48 is current FYBYT10H.86A.0048.2015.0129.1411

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 06:00:32 pm »

As to the question of, "Which of these 4 downloads should I choose?"..... the easiest way for the Id is to use the "FY0048.BIO" file with the built-in "F7 to update the BIOS" method:

Save the "FY0048.BIO" to a USB stick.
Plug the USB stick into the Id.
Boot the Id.
As the Id boots, it gives a "F7 to update BIOS" message. Press F7.
You will get a menu of attached devices. The USB stick probably says something like "USB storage device". Pick that.
You will now see a list of files on the USB stick. Choose the "FY0048.BIO" from the list of files.
The computer will now update the BIOS.
When the BIOS update is done, reboot the computer to complete the process.

You can find more detailed instructions (and videos!) for all the different BIOS updating methods here:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-034499.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up