INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoiding the desktop  (Read 907 times)

Endless River

• Recent member
Avoiding the desktop
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:44:03 am »

A fairly trivial query, but here goes.

I'm running JRiver under Windows 8.1 (modified with Classic Shell to avoid the tablet stuff). The program is set to run on startup and works extremely well as a media  centre.  One thing I'd like to avoid is the momentary glimpse of the Windows desktop before JRiver starts. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

Edit

Some progress on finding this site: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/37373-startup-delay-time-reduce-windows-8-a.html

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Avoiding the desktop
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 08:30:22 am »

If you never want that user to access anything other than Media Center, I'd set MC20 as the shell.
I would strongly recommend that you set this for the user account and not for the system, and only if you're really sure that's what you want.

Rather than edit an existing user (though you can) I would recommend creating a new user account with admin privileges (at least temporarily so that you can edit the registry) and while logged in as them, open up regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
Create a new Key called System if it does not exist.
Now add a string called Shell with the value of:

Code: (Shell) [Select]
"%SystemRoot%\System32\MC20.exe" /theater
Now when you log in with this user, Media Center will be the only thing that is launched, and it should launch immediately - this is because you have now replaced Explorer with MC20 on that account.

Be warned that doing the above could go quite badly wrong and you do this at your own risk, which is why I recommend that you do it on a separate user account.
You can then configure that user for automatic log-in when the system boots, if that's what you want.

As a way to "rescue" yourself if something does go wrong, it should always be possible to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, bring up the task manager, and then run explorer.exe
Everything should be fine - I just did this on my own system with a new "MC20" user account as a test before posting it - but you were warned.

Endless River

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 08:52:37 am »

Excellent. Thanks for that. I'll try it out.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 08:57:41 am »

Top tip! been running MC as shell for a while now on network clients with no issues, works great  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up