INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files naming  (Read 2016 times)

tamani

• Recent member
Files naming
« on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:50 am »

It happens that I get a wrong naming of file being filename rule [Artist] - [Name] why?

[Name]s:
Grieg: Olav Trygvason Op. 50; Scene   I
Grieg: Olav Trygvason Op. 50; Scene  II
Grieg: Olav Trygvason Op. 50; Scene III
[Arist]:
Neeme Järvi - Göteborgs Symfoniker
results:
Neeme Järvi - Göteborgs Symfoniker - Grieg_ Olav Trygvason Op. 50
Neeme Järvi - Göteborgs Symfoniker - Grieg_ Olav Trygvason Op. 50 (1)
Neeme Järvi - Göteborgs Symfoniker - Grieg_ Olav Trygvason Op. 50 (2)

Folder+filename lenght not exceeding the corrct number of caracters

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Files naming
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:11:26 am »

Hi

Because you can not use a colon (":") in a filename in windows so it is substituting a character that it can indeed use. Most rippers you can choose the replacement characters (not sure with the on board JRiver ripper though honestly)

tamani

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »

My problem is not created by the substitution of the colons: I can't understand why filenames are shortened (in the referred case all 3 of them) apparently after the semi-colon, so they should have the same name and to avoid the overwriting they are marked with a progressive number.

I can't understand because it does not happen every time: I apply the same naming rules everytime and I type the informations not using the internet sources.

By the way I ripped more than 1900 Classical CDs and had the problem less than 10 times (at least I hope so, but I will check all the archive).

gappie

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 02:00:14 am »

could it be that it only happens when there is a ; in the name. for mc its a special character (kind of) used for list fields. I guess it should not happen when used in the name] field.

:)
gab

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:26:45 am »

yes it, the ";", is the character used as a field separator -- replace the semi-colon with another character and it will work

tamani

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:28 am »

As I wrote, I always apply the same naming rules (as in the mentioned case with semi-colon after opus nr. and before progressive number of the scene or movement) and the problem happened only few times not every time.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 03:36:28 pm »

As I wrote, I always apply the same naming rules (as in the mentioned case with semi-colon after opus nr. and before progressive number of the scene or movement) and the problem happened only few times not every time.

well sorry don't know what to say .. should happen every time? Regardless its the metadata which is important. I would try substituing another charcter to see if it auto sorts.

I would recommend avoiding the ";" or the "/" in any file name as they are usually what is used to enable multiple field tagging. Spaces between fields in file names I use "_" and replace the colon with "-" . There are other ways of course but you can easily rename your files with freewarre like Tag Scanner en masse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up