INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I disable headless mode?  (Read 2324 times)

curmudgeon

• Recent member
How do I disable headless mode?
« on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »

I thought  I had my JRiver set up to try the headless mode.  Rebooting with HDMI and USB (keyboard & mouse) cable installed shows a normal boot until the GUI logo flashes then no more video follows and monitor goes into power saving mode.  How do I get out of headless mode?  Is the process merely installing the HDMI & USB cables and reboot?

Thanks.

curmudgeon

• Recent member
Re: How do I disable headless mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »

By trial and error I think I figured out how to resume GUI mode if in Headless Mode:
1. Power down the Id
2. Insert HDMI and keyboard & mouse cables
3. Boot the Id
4. Observe standard boot images until a logo (a logo related to the GUI mode I think) flashes on & off.
5. Then type the number "1" and then "enter". (Though the monitor is not active because of headless mode, I believe the text mode menu is active and so is the keyboard input.
    Consequently you can type any of the text menu numbers i.e., "1" for GUI and cause a reboot into GUI mode which replaces the headless mode.)
6. After a delay the command lines will start scrolling and the GUI will soon appear.

I am amazed that everyone one who read my initial post did not know how to back out of the headless mode or was unwilling to comment.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I disable headless mode?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »

By trial and error I think I figured out how to resume GUI mode if in Headless Mode:
1. Power down the Id
2. Insert HDMI and keyboard & mouse cables
3. Boot the Id
4. Observe standard boot images until a logo (a logo related to the GUI mode I think) flashes on & off.
5. Then type the number "1" and then "enter". (Though the monitor is not active because of headless mode, I believe the text mode menu is active and so is the keyboard input.
    Consequently you can type any of the text menu numbers i.e., "1" for GUI and cause a reboot into GUI mode which replaces the headless mode.)
6. After a delay the command lines will start scrolling and the GUI will soon appear.

I am amazed that everyone one who read my initial post did not know how to back out of the headless mode or was unwilling to comment.
Even in headless mode you should see information on the display, it just doesn't do the HDMI initialization so you should see a 80x25 screen. It's probably why no one commented.
It's possible you might need to do the boot repair from the repair image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up