INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center demo 20.0.101 for Debian ARM  (Read 36779 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: JRiver Media Center demo 20.0.93 for Debian ARM
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:48 am »

I've had no problems with a Fiio e7 and a Fiio e17, and an ODAC.  Once configured, everything works great.

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2015, 03:43:15 am »

Ok, thanx for the feedback!

I’ll gues this dac is just a bit too exotic; although the driver should be in the kernel
(https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd)
The alsa version could be a problem (Raspbian is still 1.0.25) but Arch arm is at 1.0.29 and that doesn’t help...

Just to be sure, does one of your dacs really use the asynchronous UAC 2 protocol with 125us data packet interval? (quick reed learned that the Dragonfly, E7 and ODAC seem to be audio class 1 devices)
i’m trying to get to the bottom of this: MC-arm and PI2 is the only combination which doesn’t run well with this USB implementation

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »

You do know that MC doesn't support direct DSD on Linux, correct?

Mark_NL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2015, 11:54:27 pm »

You do know that MC doesn't support direct DSD on Linux, correct?

yes i know JRiver linux does it over PCM but i’m not aiming at DSD playback just FLac;
it would be nice to get it asynchronous out of the USB with every extra bit bitdepth available (32 bit), hence the choice of a UAC 2 device.

Chanh

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Media Center demo 20.0.99 for Debian ARM
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 01:40:15 am »

Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone has successfully had it is running under Arch-Linux?
I tried but MediaCenter kept on crashing whenever load up. :(

Many thanks,
Chanh

Hilton

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 01:46:30 am »

Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone has successfully had it is running under Arch-Linux?
I tried but MediaCenter kept on crashing whenever load up. :(

Many thanks,
Chanh

There are some additional dependencies that have to be installed with Arch but I haven't tried so I cant help you.

If mwillems doesn't respond to the thread drop him a PM as he has it running on Arch and he know what's needed.

Cheers
Hilton

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 01:49:51 am »

There are some additional dependencies that have to be installed with Arch but I haven't tried so I cant help you.

If mwillems doesn't respond to the thread drop him a PM as he has it running on Arch and he know what's needed.

Cheers
Hilton
Many thanks Hilton!
Will wait for mwillems's kind technical assistance.

Regards,
Chanh

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 10:16:07 am »

Many thanks Hilton!
Will wait for mwillems's kind technical assistance.

Regards,
Chanh

Chan,  you mention running on Arch Linux; I assume you mean Arch ARM, which is a separate distribution?

Usually a crash is due to unsatisfied dependencies (or having no xserver running).  Can you talk about your configuration a little more?  

What are you using for a desktop environment/xserver?  How did you install MC?  What did you use for a PKGBUILD? 

Check out this post for a sample PKGBUILD that includes all dependencies: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95459.msg659236#msg659236

You'll need to change the version number and the shasums obviously, but otherwise it should work.

mrpro

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2015, 01:37:29 pm »

I am happy to report that I have MC running quite well on the Raspberry pi2 with the new Cirrus Logic Hi-Def audio card. My compliments. Nice work on this, I certainly hope that a decision is made to continue on this platform. It would be shame not, since it works so well, and it sounds really good with the CL card. It plays all formats fine, including 192x24.

In order to support the cirrus logic audio card it was necessary to download special iso; I then installed JRiver on it, being careful not to let the kernel get updated or replaced. Cirrus Logic states on their website that it will soon be part of the the standard Raspbian distro.

Chanh

• Recent member
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2015, 07:43:42 am »

Chan,  you mention running on Arch Linux; I assume you mean Arch ARM, which is a separate distribution?
Hi mwillems,

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for your response!

Yes, I meant to say Arch-Arm. I have previously been more success with the Pi-2 with Arch-Arm. However, Banana Pi remains a challenge.

Here's the ldd output from bananapi for JR
Code: (auto:0) [Select]
[bananapi@lemaker ~]$ ldd `which mediacenter20' libcryptlib.so => /usr/lib/jriver/Media Center 20/libcryptlib.so (0xb6c93000) libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb6c6b000)     librt.so.1 => /usr/lib/librt.so.1 (0xb6c54000)     libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb6c3f000)     libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb6b22000)     libuuid.so.1 => /usr/lib/libuuid.so.1 (0xb6b15000)     libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb6a47000)     libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0xb69c9000)     libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb69a3000)     libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0xb6864000)     /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0xb6f8e000)     libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0xb6844000)     libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb683a000)     libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb6825000)
And here's the output of the same file in raspberry PI 2...
Code: (auto:0) [Select]
        /usr/local/lib/libasound.so (0x76e6a000)     libcryptlib.so => /usr/lib/jriver/Media Center 20/libcryptlib.so (0x76b6f000)     libpthread.so.0 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.so.0 (0x76b40000)     librt.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/librt.so.1 (0x76b31000)     libdl.so.2 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libdl.so.2 (0x76b26000)     libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libX11.so.6 (0x76a12000)     libuuid.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libuuid.so.1 (0x76a04000)     libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6 (0x76932000)     libm.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6 (0x768c1000)     libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x76899000)     libc.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 (0x76769000)     /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0x76f8b000)     libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libxcb.so.1 (0x76749000)     libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libXau.so.6 (0x7673f000)     libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x76733000)
The BananaPi build is missing libasound somehow? I unsure why... the library is there, but it's just not showing up...
I may be wait for the ArmV7 build in the future? :)

Many thanks again, Gents!
Chanh

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:31 am »

It sounds like you've identified your problem (a missing library), but it's a little confusing how that happened.  I've configured Arch ARM on three different RPi2's with no issues whatsoever.

If you still would like some assistance, could you answer some of my other questions above?  Specifically, could you please post the PKGBUILD you used to install MC on the RPi2, and some details about what you're using for an xserver?

jeremya

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2015, 10:12:22 pm »

So, pardon my utter n00bness here (I probably did something wrong), but my experience has been thus trying to use Media Center 20.0.99 on a Raspberri Pi 2 running Raspbian:

1. I downloaded http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter-20.0.99-armhf.deb
2. I installed it with
Code: [Select]
sudo dpkg -i MediaCenter-20.0.99-armhf.deb3. I run mediacenter20 (either with X running or just in the terminal itself) and after a few seconds I get the error:
segmentation fault
Am I doing it wrong?  8)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2015, 12:19:59 am »

So, pardon my utter n00bness here (I probably did something wrong), but my experience has been thus trying to use Media Center 20.0.99 on a Raspberri Pi 2 running Raspbian:

1. I downloaded http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v20/latest/MediaCenter-20.0.99-armhf.deb
2. I installed it with
sudo dpkg -i MediaCenter-20.0.99-armhf.deb3. I run mediacenter20 (either with X running or just in the terminal itself) and after a few seconds I get the error:
segmentation fault
Am I doing it wrong?  8)
You are probably missing some dependencies.
try
sudo apt-get -f install

Also make sure you are running in X, if you can't run
xterm
you won't be able to run mediacenter20

jeremya

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2015, 12:34:53 am »

You are probably missing some dependencies.
try
sudo apt-get -f install

Also make sure you are running in X, if you can't run
xterm
you won't be able to run mediacenter20

Thanks. apt-get reported:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.

Running from within X still yields the same segfault. :(

[Update: I'm running updates now... will try afterward and see if having a fully-updated system works better ;-)]

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2015, 09:16:04 am »

Make sure that you follow the advice here:
Quick start guide for installing JRiver Mediacenter ARM for Raspberry Pi 1 and 2

It's not stickied, so I overlooked this too and followed in your footsteps.

Once I used mwillems' guide, it all came good. Give it a go. I'm reckon you might get some joy..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2015, 10:43:57 am »

Quick start guide for installing JRiver Mediacenter ARM for Raspberry Pi 1 and 2

Once I used mwillems' guide, it all came good. Give it a go. I'm reckon you might get some joy..  ;)
Yeah, I forgot about 24/32 bit video mode. MC will not run in a 16 bit video mode environment.

jeremya

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2015, 11:47:00 am »

Thanks! That definitely helped... althought now I get a message that tells me that the version of media center I'm running has timed out and i should go get a new one.

Once that gets dismissed, media center seems to work (at least the window comes up )

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2015, 11:53:23 am »

Glad my guide is helping folks!  I initially started it for selfish reasons: there were enough dependencies and just enough configuration twists and turns that I knew I'd forget them myself if I didn't write them down, and then I'd be doing a reinstall in a few months and would forget something important.  Once I had it all written down, it was easy enough to work it up into a guide.

Sure enough, I was doing a reinstall a few days ago, and had to pull up the guide because I'd forgotten something (the USB current flag so external drives will work)  ;D

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2015, 03:52:46 pm »

Thanks! That definitely helped... althought now I get a message that tells me that the version of media center I'm running has timed out and i should go get a new one.

Once that gets dismissed, media center seems to work (at least the window comes up )

Yep, that's exactly what it did for me too. I thought, ignore it, unless it's a real barrier. Seems that's the right plan.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2015, 03:53:46 pm »

Glad my guide is helping folks!  I initially started it for selfish reasons: there were enough dependencies and just enough configuration twists and turns that I knew I'd forget them myself if I didn't write them down, and then I'd be doing a reinstall in a few months and would forget something important.  Once I had it all written down, it was easy enough to work it up into a guide.

Sure enough, I was doing a reinstall a few days ago, and had to pull up the guide because I'd forgotten something (the USB current flag so external drives will work)  ;D

Done this sort of thing myself, so I know what it's like to live the dream. Thanks for your good work.

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver Media Center demo 20.0.101 for Debian ARM
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 04:41:32 pm »

This release fixes the trouble playing ALAC files.

bb3ii

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 06:16:49 pm »

Attempted installing on Rev C BeagleBone Black....no install errors, the prog loads, however the windows are all blank. Controls seem to work just can't see them! Thought I would let you know what I found. Will keep an eye on this thread in case you do get around to working on the BBB...Pi2 will be the next attempt...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 06:21:18 pm »

Attempted installing on Rev C BeagleBone Black....no install errors, the prog loads, however the windows are all blank. Controls seem to work just can't see them! Thought I would let you know what I found. Will keep an eye on this thread in case you do get around to working on the BBB...Pi2 will be the next attempt...

That's what happens when the color space on the device is set to 24-bit color depth.  MC requires 32-bit color depth, which is unfortunate because many of these ARM boards don't support 32-bit color.  I had the same issue on 2 different ODROID boards, and I can reproduce the problem on an RPi by setting the wrong color depth.

If it's any consolation, if you vnc into the box remotely, MC should display correctly (or at least that's what I did with my odroids).

Hilton

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2015, 11:29:14 pm »

Thanks Bob.  Bluetooth media remote works now! :)

outis

• Recent member
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2015, 01:57:28 pm »

I've just installed MC without any problems on my Cubietruck (Igor Image). But why doesn't play MC 44/16? HiRes-flacs e.g. 192/24 or 176/24 are playing. TIA

Edit: Probably an Alsa problem. The iFi-Dac shows for all sample/bitrates 44...

Edit 2: But Logitech Media Server plays all formats native. Hm...

Edit 3: solved with another sounddevice (aplay -L)

outis

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2015, 02:19:28 am »

I'm playing around al little bit with this nice piece of Software. ;)

Is there a change for future releases consuming less CPU-Power?
E.g. Squeezelite uses much less. And that is not only a question of the GUI.

1. MC20

2. Squeezelite/LMS

3. MC 20 idle

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2015, 06:45:44 am »

This would be best discussed in a new thread, but it's likely that MC is processing the files (audio analysis, cover art, thumbnails, etc.) and CPU usage will eventually drop.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2015, 08:15:31 am »

I'm playing around al little bit with this nice piece of Software. ;)

Is there a change for future releases consuming less CPU-Power?
E.g. Squeezelite uses much less. And that is not only a question of the GUI.

1. MC20

2. Squeezelite/LMS

3. MC 20 idle

Jim's right a new thread might be best, but a few quick notes:

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Linux load figures, but that top read out doesn't mean you're at 50% total CPU usage during playback: it means you're using 50% of one core.  The cubietruck is a dual core system and if you look at the third line from the upper left (CPU%) that's the actual total CPU usage (about 25% total utilization, which is about double the 12% utilization with squeezelite)

That said, I think those cpu figures may be a bit high, Jim's right, JRiver may still be analyzing audio files or performing other tasks in the background.  Check under "Services and Plugins" --> "Reporter" in the tree to see what might be running.

For context: Have a look at my measurements for an RPi 1 and RPi 2 over here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97100.0

The Rpi 2 is a useful comparison point as it's an A7 cortex processor (like the cubietruck), clocked at 900MHz (similar to the 1 GHz clock of the cubietruck).  The RPi2 is quad core instead of dual core, but core for core it should work about like the cubietruck.

You can see that on the RPi2 playback of 16 bit/44KHz flac files peaked at about 20% of one core, so you're seeing CPU usage about 2.5 times what I'm seeing.  So unless you're playing much higher resolution material, MC is probably running something in the background.  Higher res material will use more CPU, necessarily.

outis

• Recent member
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2015, 11:08:44 am »

Jim's right a new thread might be best
Yes, perhaps a moderator should split this thread?

You can see that on the RPi2 playback of 16 bit/44KHz flac files peaked at about 20% of one core, so you're seeing CPU usage about 2.5 times what I'm seeing.  So unless you're playing much higher resolution material, MC is probably running something in the background.  Higher res material will use more CPU, necessarily.
Yes - your values for 44/16 I've too on the CT. My examples are generated with HiRes 192/24 flac. Much more impressive. ;)

Hilton

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2015, 01:54:14 am »

I was having USB DAC reliability problems with 3.18.9-v7+ and upgrading to 3.18.12-v7+ along with upgrading my packages and its now stable again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2015, 10:13:14 am »

I've just installed MC without any problems on my Cubietruck (Igor Image). But why doesn't play MC 44/16? HiRes-flacs e.g. 192/24 or 176/24 are playing. TIA

Edit: Probably an Alsa problem. The iFi-Dac shows for all sample/bitrates 44...

Edit 2: But Logitech Media Server plays all formats native. Hm...

Edit 3: solved with another sounddevice (aplay -L)
It's important to remember that MC does NOT use ALSA's automatic resampling engine like most everything else does.
We use our own DSP studio instead.

MartynO

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2015, 04:40:33 am »

I'm new to the forum so I apologise if this is in the wrong place!

Is there any update on the June timeout?  Will there be a consumer release?  I would happily pay an additional license fee for the Debian ARM version (I already have a windows license for my PC and a Linux license for my Intel NUC).

I have upgraded to 20.0.101 running on a Raspberry Pi 2 and feeding an Arcam USB irDAC.  No problems so far

I also have 20.0.93 running well on another Raspberry Pi 2  and feeding via HDMI to a Yamaha RX A3010 amplifier.  I'm about to upgrade this too.

Both Raspberry Pi's are using flac files from a Synology NAS (DS213) mounted via cifs.  They are also both running headless using vncserver.

I'm  new to Linux but with the help of this forum have been able to set up Linux versions. Thanks everyone! 
Maybe I have been lucky but I have had no problems at all with the Debian ARM versions.

vdgraaf

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2015, 01:23:33 pm »

I second the question expiry date for the beta: I'd like to try it and use it on an ARM based device, but if this version does not get proper release or extended time for testing , I won't bother and use another program :(

I already have a PC license, since 5 years ago:)

Hilton

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2015, 07:53:02 am »

I just compiled ARM 20.0.66 for Arch ARM and this warning came up. Is it anything to worry about?

[pi@raspberrypi jriver-media-center]$ makepkg -s
==> Making package: jriver-media-center 20.0.66-1 (Thu May 14 22:46:30 AEST 2015)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Found MediaCenter-20.0.66-armhf.deb
  -> Found License.txt
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    MediaCenter-20.0.66-armhf.deb ... Passed
    License.txt ... Passed
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting MediaCenter-20.0.66-armhf.deb with bsdtar
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory...
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging unwanted files...
  -> Removing libtool files...
  -> Removing static library files...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
strip: Unable to recognise the format of the input file `./usr/lib/jriver/Media Center 20/alsacap'
==> Creating package "jriver-media-center"...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Generating .MTREE file...
  -> Compressing package...==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: jriver-media-center 20.0.66-1 (Thu May 14 22:52:00 AEST 2015)

I also tried to make the latest 101 but I don't know how to updated the sha256 to match.

PS. Im up and running on Arch with 20.0.66 and it all seems to be working.  Wow Arch is a lot of trouble to setup but its much faster to boot.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2015, 07:58:25 am »

Do you mean the "strip" line?   That happens everytime, it's because ALSACAP isn't compatible, it's nothing to worry about.

To update the SHA just use the method found here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#Integrity

Or if you trust that you got a good download, you can always run makepkg with the flag "--skip-integ"" which will disregard the SHA sums.

PS. Im up and running on Arch with 20.0.66 and it all seems to be working.  Wow Arch is a lot of trouble to setup but its much faster to boot.

Lower overhead while running too because all the cruft is gone!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2015, 09:46:35 am »

The next build which will be released today will no longer have a timeout and will require a license (linux or master license).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 12:11:01 pm »

The next build which will be released today will no longer have a timeout and will require a license (linux or master license).

Excitement!!

hvoerman

• Recent member
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2015, 12:54:04 pm »

Great!

Hilton

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2015, 08:29:13 am »

Take my money! :)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up