INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media center 19 backup/restore issues  (Read 1371 times)

comp_tech

Media center 19 backup/restore issues
« on: March 06, 2015, 08:37:36 pm »

A relative had their computer act up. Turns out the HDD was dead. I had a fairly recent backup of all his stuff on his external. I copied a new backup off to his external before swapped the HDD with a temp until new one is ordered. I also exported the playlists and copied the C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\jriver\libraries\playlists onto the same location on the backup. (I found just backup the profile to be more reliable than some of the automated setups.)

I working temporary drive installed, load MC 19 again (I haven't yet had him put the key in until we get a new drive and I can clone the temp to the new one. That could be related to the issue I'm not sure.) The issue is even after moving all his music into the my music folder (Different user profile name, but still in my music under that profile) then restoring the playlists I exported from the old drive when it was running.

The issue is while all the music is there (Folder properties say identical size on backup and the my music folder in windows and looks like everything is there) and playlists properly imported. Each playlists only contains like 5-10 songs though there should be like 500 in some.
I have done this before and just moved the music from backup into the my music folder then import the playlists that MC19 exported and it does a bunch of processing and it's all there. It seemed faster this time, and I only have partial playlists.

Any ideas what is going on here?
I Googled the issue I see something about a database, but I never had to deal with that before. I even had to make a new user profile for him once and ended up with like a username_2 folder it all still imported fine from the original corrupt profile.   
This makes me think the playlists don't work like shortcuts and locations of stuff can change and it updates. I have also restored from backups before when he got virus and windows needed total reload. The only thing I can think is maybe some how I missed exporting something I should have or because the key isn't entered it's in some limited function mode. The playlist show some songs so it found those, but some reason that's it.

(I'm in the I.T field so if you give me some info what to do I should be able to figure out. The setup of this program is still kind of new to me as I only have to support.)
Any help would be greatly appreciated and keep him from having to start over with playlists. I will continue to see what I come up with and will update if find out anything else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media center 19 backup/restore issues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:48:23 pm »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving files" that might help.

Your files may not be in the expected location, but that topic has information about tools to solve the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up