INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can DSP-Studio Settings Be Assigned To Specific Albums Or Tracks?  (Read 6579 times)

Lewin

• Recent member

This may be a naive question. When i choose specific audio settings in DSP-Studio, it appears to me as if these settings will be applied to all albums. However, I would like to tie specific settings to specific albums. As a an example, I would like to apply the "Concert Hall" effects to one album and the "Jazz Club" effect or "None" to others. The same with specific equalizer settings, which may be beneficial only to some recordings, but not to others.  How can I do this on a per album basis or even on a per track basis?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Can DSP-Studio Settings Be Assigned To Specific Albums Or Tracks?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:50:45 am »

You're in luck because this is a new feature.  Just save your settings in DSP Studio using the button at the bottom.  Then set the DSP field for any files you want to use those settings.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Lewin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:01:22 pm »

Thanks a lot. After I change the DSP-Field, do I need to restart MC or does the change take effect immediately?

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:27:41 pm »

You're in luck because this is a new feature.  Just save your settings in DSP Studio using the button at the bottom.  Then set the DSP field for any files you want to use those settings.
A little more work than that is needed:
- tweak you DSP for a set of parameters you like .
- Save the setting, give it a descriptive name, using load/save at the bottom of the window.
- choose all the tracks you want this DSP setting to be applied to, everytime you play them (keep Ctrl down while you click on tracks)
- press Alt-Enter to bring up the tag editor for all these tracks.
- there is a field called DSP with a drop down option on side, assign your DSP (you gave it a name)
- close the tag editor.
That's it, everytime you play these tracks, your DSP settings get applied automatically.

P.S. applying NONE to others is somewhat problematic at the moment because of a bug in MC - hopefully it will get sorted out in future releases.
HINT! HINT!
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:35:13 pm »

P.S. applying NONE to others is somewhat problematic at the moment because of a bug in MC - hopefully it will get sorted out in future releases.
HINT! HINT!

I get that if the DSP field is blank then some kind of "default" should take over.  However, we need to set up what that default is.

Maybe the solution is to make "Default" a special DSP name and if one is stored and the DSP field is blank, then "Default" is used by default.

Lewin

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:53:21 pm »

Now, I'm confused. I assumed that if the DSP-Field is empty, MC will just output bit transparent audio.

I'm further assuming, that if I'm using the DSP Field, the audio files on my Hard Disk will remain unchanged; i.e. the field is only assigned to the MC database (not to the ID tags within the FLAC file). When the file is played, MC checks the database and performs the appropriate effects processing (if any) on the fly. Is this correct?

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:01:26 pm »

Now, I'm confused. I assumed that if the DSP-Field is empty, MC will just output bit transparent audio.

I'm further assuming, that if I'm using the DSP Field, the audio files on my Hard Disk will remain unchanged; i.e. the field is only assigned to the MC database (not to the ID tags within the FLAC file). When the file is played, MC checks the database and performs the appropriate effects processing (if any) on the fly. Is this correct?

If the DSP field is blank, that track will use the previous selected DSP preset.  So I'd suggest you create a "default" and apply that to all tracks where you just want your default settings to be used.

The DSP field may or may not be stored in the file tags, I have my options set up always store all tags in the MC db and the file tags.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »

By default with this field, it will not modify your files on disk in any way (so it is, exactly as you assumed).  The new [DSP] field does NOT automatically save itself to the file tags, even if tag writing is enabled.  You can alter this if you want, but it is off by default for that field.

Maybe the solution is to make "Default" a special DSP name and if one is stored and the DSP field is blank, then "Default" is used by default.

Has anyone tried making a DSP preset with an empty-string name?  I wonder if that would work already?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:15:56 pm »

Has anyone tried making a DSP preset with an empty-string name?  I wonder if that would work already?
not with an empty name, I called mine "default" and tagged all my 'other' files with it.
But it is very laborious, and should be un-necessary if the bug gets fixed
(yes it is a BUG)
Uncompressed music on PC - Hugo 2 & DX7 pro - Meridian Poweramp,  Sonus Faber Grand Piano

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:25:15 pm »

not with an empty name, I called mine "default" and tagged all my 'other' files with it.
(yes it is a BUG)

What if you just pre tag the entire library with your default...that's very easy, then tag the other ones as you wish with the other dsp

Honestly this whole per track dsp goes against everything I understand ablut audio but it's good to have choice I guess.  I'll never personally use the feature anyways...

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 05:29:58 pm »

What if you just pre tag the entire library with your default...that's very easy, then tag the other ones as you wish with the other dsp

That is what we have done.  Of course it requires that we remember to *always* tag any new additions with the "default" name.  It's hard to remember, so an automatic way to get a "default" is preferred.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:57 pm »

Can't argue with that! 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 05:38:20 pm »

(yes it is a BUG)

I certainly agree that it would be nicer if it had a built-in way to specify a default, but I can't at all see how this is "very laborious".  It takes three steps maximum (and only two if you haven't pre-tagged any files with a [DSP] tag).

1. If you have some files that might already have a [DSP] tag, or just for future use, make a Smartlist with the following search:
Code: [Select]
[DSP]=[] ~sort=[Filename]
2. Open this smartlist (or a view that shows all of your files by default if you didn't make it).  Control-A to select all, and add the DSP tag in the Tag Action Window.

3. Add a Tag on Import rule to your Import folders with the following setup:

Value Expression:
If(IsEmpty([DSP],0),default,[DSP])
You could almost certainly do it without that simple expression and just put "default" in the value checkbox, and then check the "skip for files that already have a value" box.  I just do them using expressions because I'm used to it, and that makes sure.  Either way should work.

Done.  Then all of your files that don't already have a DSP field entry will be tagged with "default" and all new files imported that don't already have an embedded [DSP] tag (just in case) will also be tagged with "default".  You'd never need to touch it again.

So, not sure how that is "laborious".  A minor irritation, I'd say.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »

That is what we have done.  Of course it requires that we remember to *always* tag any new additions with the "default" name.  It's hard to remember, so an automatic way to get a "default" is preferred.

No it doesn't.  Read my post.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »

No it doesn't.  Read my post.

I like your suggestion... where is that "Tag On Import" setup?  Found it.  Never knew it existed.  I like it.

Wait... I'm guessing this only works if one allows automatic importing... I don't.

I always import via Windows right click.

Confirmed:  even if I set up auto importing and setup "Tag on Import", it does not work when importing via Windows right click.

So as the program works today, I must *remember* to set my DSP default when ever manually importing files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »

It works fine with manual runs of Auto-Import, and you can add them to the Import a Single Folder wizard.  So, there's no reason not to use it.

The import via Shell Extension is a "basic" import by design.  But that's a fairly silly way to limit yourself.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 07:30:56 pm »

So as the program works today, I must

Only if you insist upon not using the tools provided, but that doesn't make much sense.

If there is a good reason not to use the Auto-Import setup, I don't know what it is. If you have specific concerns, make sure you've read the Auto-Import wiki article, and start a new thread if you don't understand something.

I should note, that there is one instance where new media could enter your library via a "regular" mechanism and not get touched by the Tag On Import rules: Ripping discs. I'd really like a way to apply Tag on Import style rules to rips too.  But, in this case, you would have to go back to the Smartlist I suggested in Step 1, Control-A, and apply the tag right after ripping.

As I said, a way to select a default DSP setting probably makes sense. But I wouldn't call it a "bug" without which this feature is useless.  You can essentially automate the process (except for new rips).

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 07:47:37 pm »

As I said, a way to select a default DSP setting probably makes sense. But I wouldn't call it a "bug" without which this feature is useless.  You can essentially automate the process (except for new rips).

As long as one must still have a manual process, then it requires thought, and exceptions.

I already have a smartlist setup to show empty DPS fields, but I must remember to run it, to check if I made a mistake.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »

As long as one must still have a manual process, then it requires thought, and exceptions.

Like I said, I agree, and it stinks that there isn't a way for ripping right now, and it would be nice if there was an easy way to set a default.  But, ripping a disc is an inherently manual process (you have to insert the discs, and usually type in some kind of metadata anyway), so this seems like a minor issue.

I long-ago ripped my entire CD collection anyway, so all media comes in via the Import process.  I imagine for most users, it is the same, unless you're doing a big "re-ripping" project (and then, you can just do the tag application at the end of the whole process).

For all regular imports, though, there's no reason not to just use Tag On Import.  Like I said above (and as is explained in the wiki article), it works fine with manual auto-import runs (and the Import a Single Folder mode), so you do not have to use Background Scanning to get the benefit.  I'm also not sure why you wouldn't use background scanning because it is awesome, but if you can't for some reason (or just don't want to), you can still use the rest of the import system.

To me, it seems a little like if there was a way to set a Default, complaining that you couldn't use it because... I don't know, because you don't want to use it.

I also still wonder about this:

Has anyone tried making a DSP preset with an empty-string name?  I wonder if that would work already?

I don't know if it will let you name a DSP preset to an empty string.  But if it does, then that will almost certainly work.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2015, 08:10:18 pm »

I certainly agree that it would be nicer if it had a built-in way to specify a default, but I can't at all see how this is "very laborious".
It's not a matter of it being laborious. It's unusable now if you have multiple zones and devices with different playback capabilities. (e.g. multichannel or high-res)

It does not take new plug-ins into account if you modify a zone, and it's still not saving the state of all plug-ins for me.

I've stripped all my files of DSP Presets.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 08:10:50 pm »

For all regular imports, though, there's no reason not to just use Tag On Import.  Like I said above (and as is explained in the wiki article), it works fine with manual auto-import runs (and the Import a Single Folder mode),

Import a Single Folder is a pain, I'm already in Windows Explorer, I can see the files I want to import, and to use Import a Single Folder, I must go through the menus and then go locate the dir I want to import.

so you do not have to use Background Scanning to get the benefit.  I'm also not sure why you wouldn't use background scanning because it is awesome, but if you can't for some reason (or just don't want to), you can still use the rest of the import system.

I'm trying Auto-Import again.  I have turned off Background Scanning.  I want to choose when importing takes place.  When I get a new set of tracks, I want them imported now, right now.  And I want an easy way to find them.  If I import an album by "Roger Waters", I don't want to have to look for it as "Roger Waters" or "Waters, Roger" or whatever else it might be tagged with.

Auto-Import works very fast though, so I'm giving it a try again and will run manually when I add new files.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:21:35 pm »

It's not a matter of it being laborious. It's unusable now if you have multiple zones and devices with different playback capabilities.

I didn't understand when this feature was created why the DSP Presets were used in the first place.  Adding this functionality to auto-switch Zones would be more useful, I expect.

But I know the current Zone Switching feature has some issues for some people.  I don't use it heavily, so I can't comment there, and I didn't raise a big stink about it.  But why DSP Presets are used, when Zones are essentially already a way to save DSP presets, seemed oddball.

I'm trying Auto-Import again.  I have turned off Background Scanning.  I want to choose when importing takes place.  When I get a new set of tracks, I want them imported now, right now.  And I want an easy way to find them.  If I import an album by "Roger Waters", I don't want to have to look for it as "Roger Waters" or "Waters, Roger" or whatever else it might be tagged with.

That's fine.  You can even make it into a hotkey if you want, since there's a MCC to run Auto-Import Now.

To find them easily, just make a Recently Imported Smartlist or View (I prefer a View, so that I can use other filters on it on the fly), with the newest imports on top.

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 08:44:38 pm »

That's fine.  You can even make it into a hotkey if you want, since there's a MCC to run Auto-Import Now.

To find them easily, just make a Recently Imported Smartlist or View (I prefer a View, so that I can use other filters on it on the fly), with the newest imports on top.

The Toolbar Button for "Run Auto Import Now" is perfect.  Then I use the "Recently Imported" toolbar button to find them.

I use MC20.exe extensively, but not needed here for me when tool bar buttons are available.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 08:50:11 pm »

But why DSP Presets are used, when Zones are essentially already a way to save DSP presets, seemed oddball.
Because a playlist can't span multiple zones for one thing.

Using DSP presets is fine, but the current system needs a lot of work.
It can't just save the entire state of the DSP Studio when you create a preset, and changes made from playing a tagged file should not be permanent.

I have some tracks where I want to filter out specific frequencies no matter what zone they're played in. (e.g. this piercing 15.7kHz tone)
I may want to play those tracks in several different zones (e.g. local playback and AirPlay) but I still want them filtered.

ken-tajalli

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 06:06:56 am »

I certainly agree that it would be nicer if it had a built-in way to specify a default, but I can't at all see how this is "very laborious".  It takes three steps maximum (and only two if you haven't pre-tagged any files with a [DSP] tag).

1. If you have some files that might already have a [DSP] tag, or just for future use, make a Smartlist with the following search:
[DSP]=[] ~sort=[Filename]
2. Open this smartlist (or a view that shows all of your files by default if you didn't make it).  Control-A to select all, and add the DSP tag in the Tag Action Window.

3. Add a Tag on Import rule to your Import folders with the following setup:

Value Expression:
If(IsEmpty([DSP],0),default,[DSP])
You could almost certainly do it without that simple expression and just put "default" in the value checkbox, and then check the "skip for files that already have a value" box.  I just do them using expressions because I'm used to it, and that makes sure.  Either way should work.

Done.  Then all of your files that don't already have a DSP field entry will be tagged with "default" and all new files imported that don't already have an embedded [DSP] tag (just in case) will also be tagged with "default".  You'd never need to touch it again.

So, not sure how that is "laborious".  A minor irritation, I'd say.
Thanx for that.
Where were you when I did post a topic asking if there was an easy way of doing this.
I'll give it a go.
You know, things are laborious if you don't know how to do it easily! that's life.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 10:19:57 am »

I didn't understand when this feature was created why the DSP Presets were used in the first place.  Adding this functionality to auto-switch Zones would be more useful, I expect.

Well, on my side I think that the improper use of zone switch for changing DSP presets was the "original Sin".  :P
Zone switch is a dirty solution and doesn't work with playlist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up