INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making two different Movies categories?  (Read 5935 times)

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
Making two different Movies categories?
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:10 am »

It's been well over a year since I messed with settings in jriver. My fiancee has been complaining about all the movies in the movies category. So I made a separate folder on my computer for my movies. Which removed the ones she won't touch out of the movies category in jriver. Which is fine it's what I was looking to do.

The problem is I can't seem to find how to make just that extra folder show up as My movies. It keeps importing every darn one of the movie labels back in the movies category in theater view.

Currently I have Images, Music, Movies, and Shows that are configured. Is there no way to add a separate movies folder on your computer and it not include all those with the rest of the movies?

My intention was to have under video in theater view: Mike's Movies, Movies, and Shows. That way my movies were under my location and the rest of the movies were under the general Movies category.

I screwed up by importing my folder which in turn added all the movies I didnt' want listed under Movies back under movies. So now I have to go back and forth between my folder in my computer to jriver removing all the labels under movies that I didnt' want listed under movies.

lynes88

• Recent member
Re: Making two different Movies categories?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:26:39 am »

It almost seems like you want something like Netflix does when loading the page.... it asks "Who's Watching?"   and then it presents you with icons representing the various profiles that you have established and viewing preferences/restrictions.  Which in turn, could present one particular library view.

And perhaps you could accomplish this through the creation of a Playlist?

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 09:31:10 am »

What I know is on the jriver main view on the left pane I have a video section. Under that section I have Movies and Shows. The movies that are currently under my Movies folder show up in the Movies section with all the box icons on the right pane.
I've tried to manually add another section called Mike's Movies and add the movies in that folder on my computer but it makes them all show up under the Movies section. Which basically forgoes all the work I spent going through and manually moving my movies from the movies folder on my computer to Mikes Movies on my computer. Then forcing me to manually delete each icon on the right pane from the server view so they don't show up.

While at the main jriver window on my tv I have like audio video etc down to exit.
Once the Video section is selected it drops down with Movies and Shows. It never showed the Mike's Movies section I added. Which is what I'm trying to accomplish.

I don't want to make a playlist I want to make a separate listing under Video that actually works and doesn't jack my Movies section up again.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 11:29:26 am »

You need to edit the theater view viewschemes, under options-->Theater View, and add your new "mike's movies" view.  

Standard view and theater view have different view lists (by design), so changing your standard view options won't automatically change your theater view options.  

Once you can see the view in theater view, you can focus on how to split the movies between the views.

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 11:48:45 am »

You need to edit the theater view viewschemes, under options-->Theater View, and add your new "mike's movies" view.  

Standard view and theater view have different view lists (by design), so changing your standard view options won't automatically change your theater view options.  

Once you can see the view in theater view, you can focus on how to split the movies between the views.
Once under theater view in options and I click add I have several choices: Category, Root Library Item, Library Item, and Library Item From Standard View. I've toyed around with all of them but can't get it to list under Video?

Got it to finally not go under audio or in the root. So it is now under Videos and shows up in theater view under Video like I want but it already has movies in it and not just my movies? Not only that they are listed in categories: All Genres, Action, Action Adventure, Adventure.............

UPDATE

Fixed the way the movies show up. They are now by name. Had to manually add each what I'll call category under Mike's Movies. Now it all looks ok in Theater view on the tv BUT it shows all the general Movies from the Movies section in Mike's Movies.

I need those all to not show up and need to designate which ones show up under Mike's Movies. But don't know how to do that and don't want to screw things up again where I have to manually remove each of Mike's Movies from the general Movies category like I've already had to do. 342 movies is a pain. Not to mention I still don't have Mike's Movies in the main pane on the left under Videos in JRiver. I can manually add it again but I'm sure it will list all the movies again like it did in the past along with mucking up what shows up in Movies in Theater view adding in those 342 movies again.

So the new section Mike's Movies doesn't show up in the left pane under Video's where I can monitor it ie see which ones don't have covers and manually add covers etc.
In theater view Mike's Movies is showing everything that Movies has in it (both on my movies folder on the computer and what I have setup to show via the left pane under video/movies in jriver)

Those are the two problems I have left.

Just what I thought. I manually added Mikes Movies under Video (on the left pane of jriver) via right click and adding library view. Then proceeded to remove all the movies under Mikes Movies (because they were all the movies that are in the general Movies section) That removed all listing of movies from both Movies and Mike's Movies. So now no movies show up in either category.

Another update which has me stuck. Somehow the two categories (Movies/Mike's Movies) are tied into each other. I double clicked on the right pane while Mike's Movies was selected and imported all the movies in my Mike's Movies folder and it duplicated those added movies over into the Movies section also. Somehow I need to split these two categories so they are their own person independently.

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:49:41 pm »

Still stuck with any movies I import populating both Movies and Mike's Movies sections

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 05:08:33 am »

You need to edit the views you created so that they only show the movies you want.  One way to do it based on the filename(path) tag.  So if Mike's Movies are all in a directory called "D:\movies\mike's movies" you could edit the rules for one view so that it only shows movies with a filename(path) that includes "mike's."  You would do that by clicking on the "set rules for file display" button while editing the view.  For regular movies, you would use a file display rule that requires filepath to not include "mike's"

You can do it the same way for standard view and theater view, but you have to do it both places.

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 09:40:23 am »

Hmmm not importing anything.
Could the media sub type for both sections being Movie have anything to do with it?

That has to stay or it adds in the shows folder also. Jesus why can't this program just show what you put there and not have a mind of it's own. Adding a rule for Movies folder(path) is not Shows doesn't do anything the shows are still there.

Setting the rules for movies as:
Media Type is Video
Media Sub Type is Movies
File Name (path) is not Mikes

Pulls up all movies including ones in Mikes Movies
If the sub type is movies gets removed it has shows show up under movies. Setting file name (path) is not shows still allows shows to show up.

Setting the rules for Mikes Movies as:
Media Type is Video
Media sub type is movies
File name (path) is Mikes

Shows nothing and doesn't allow anything to import under Mikes Movies.

These settings are both made from the left main pane under the Video section on each (Movies and Mikes Movies) Then also set in options under theater view and their respective sections of (Movies and mikes movies).

Photoshop isn't this overwhelming with options and settings. Especially ones that don't do what you tell them to do. :-(

Added the Movies to the end of *File Name (path) is not Mikes* Seems to only be importing those movies that are in the Movies folder now. Although still updating........

And that fixed the Movies section now to figure out how to fudge the rules for Mikes Movies........

Arg changed File name (path) is Mikes to include Movies at the end and it's adding Mikes Movies to the movies section again.
Added another rule to Movies for File name (path) does not contain Mikes which removed all Mikes movies from Movies.

Now to figure out how to get Mikes movies to show up where they should in mikes movies because nothing shows up there now. :-(

HOT DAMN!!!!!

Changed File name (path) is Mikes  to File Name (Path) contains Mikes poof there are the movies and they didn't show up under Movies.

Thanks for your help mwillems. Had to fudge the rules a bit but got it fixed with your help.

Have one other problem and I assume it's just a problem with jriver itself but it has to do with audio.

If a show/movie is paused for too long once it is resumed there is no audio. Stopping that same show/movie then starting it again doesn't fix the no audio. A completely different show/movie has to be started and stopped then you can go back to the original show/movie and play it with audio resuming where it was left off.

Not too big of a deal but would be nice to be able to resume without loosing the audio and having to do the extra steps to get it back. Not sure the amount of time exactly that things can be paused where the audio still works. Not sure if you know anything about this problem or if you have seen anything. I can always make another thread about it.

scgt1

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 12:11:35 am »

Having problems again making another category.
This time I've added it in the standard side along with the theater view side and set file rules but nothing shows up. I currently have two movies in the actual folder on my hard drive but they don't show up in JRiver.

I originally had music showing up until I set the rule of video. Then I had the shows showing up in the new category which wasn't correct either so I added the rule to remove that folder from what it looks for. Music and shows went away but I'm still stuck with nothing listing even though there are files in the folder.

So currently the following are my settings for theater view with my movie folders:
Under items to show:
Video
 Family Movies
   Name
   Grid
   Genre
   Decade
   HD
   Wall
 Mike's Movies
   Name
   Grid
   Genre
   Decade
   HD
   Wall
 Movies
   Name
   Grid
   Genre
   Decade
   HD
   Wall

Now my rules are as follows:
Family Movies
Media Type is Video
Filename (path) contains Family
Filename (path) does not contain Shows

Mikes Movies
Media Type is Video
Filename (path) contains Mikes

Movies
Media Type is Video
Media Sub Type is Movie
Filename (path) is not Mikes Movies
Filename (path) does not contain Mikes

I had to have the extra rules on Movies because it was trying to share all the Mikes Movies with it. I had to have the last rule on Family Movies to keep the shows from showing up under Family Movies.

The point of this is so when my fiance and I sit down to watch movies with my two daughters (13/14) we can just pick any movie under the Family Movies and not have to sort through 800+ movies from the normal Movies folder and check IMDB if they are appropriate or not. This takes too much dang time on a regular basis and it's getting old.

Then we have Mikes Movies which is all the horror movies my fiance won't watch. That way they aren't mucking up the Movies folder when we try to find something we want to watch together.

I just did my third import for the heck of it and they showed up. So I may have the problem corrected other then why JRiver isn't importing the first time it's selected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up