INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two quick questions about the Id. . . .  (Read 2000 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Two quick questions about the Id. . . .
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:39:02 am »

If I use the Id as a DLNA Renderer to a Windows based MC20 will HLS radio streams play on the Id? (they are not supported on the hardware renderers I have  :-[ ).

Is there a form of remote console access to the iD (RDP or VNC or similar) I really don't want to have to connect it to a screen and keyboard once it's installed and I'm sure  it'll need a bit of human input at some point. . .

Cheers

Spike

bob

• Administrator
Re: Two quick questions about the Id. . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:07 pm »

If I use the Id as a DLNA Renderer to a Windows based MC20 will HLS radio streams play on the Id? (they are not supported on the hardware renderers I have  :-[ ).
I'm not an expert on HLS but if you have a URL, I'll try it.
Is there a form of remote console access to the iD (RDP or VNC or similar) I really don't want to have to connect it to a screen and keyboard once it's installed and I'm sure  it'll need a bit of human input at some point. . .

Cheers

Spike

There isn't a remote console access at this time. There is a bit of a catch22 here since running in headless mode runs mediacenter in a mode where it never displays a user interface and running in GUI mode, at least until very recently, required the attachment of a monitor anyway because of HDMI initialization.

Spike1000

Re: Two quick questions about the Id. . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:01:42 am »

I'm not an expert on HLS but if you have a URL, I'll try it.

Many thanks Bob for looking into this.
These are the sort of HLS streams I'm wanting to play:

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_vlow/llnw/bbc_6music.m3u8
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/nonuk/sbr_low/llnw/bbc_6music.m3u8
http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_med/llnw/bbc_6music.m3u8

They are BBC radio streams, the first 2 should play outside the UK, the third is geographically locked to the UK only I believe (I'm assuming you're outside the UK  ;) )

There isn't a remote console access at this time. There is a bit of a catch22 here since running in headless mode runs mediacenter in a mode where it never displays a user interface and running in GUI mode, at least until very recently, required the attachment of a monitor anyway because of HDMI initialization.

Ok, I understand, no problem. Could I just put windows on an NUC and install another copy of MC, would that work the same as an Id if used as a renderer? It'd need a Windows license and regular windows patching which is a bit of a pain. And to be honest I'm not entirely sure of the technical difference between an Id and a windows MC running as DNLA renderer.

Cheers

Spike

Pages: [1]   Go Up