INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicates and No Cover Art After Library Reinstall  (Read 2820 times)

jaybe

• Recent member
Duplicates and No Cover Art After Library Reinstall
« on: March 20, 2015, 07:09:43 am »

I have many duplicate files after re-installing a library via a different method. System configuration is JRiver on a laptop with music files/library on an external USB hard drive attached to laptop.

Wanted to try accessing music through my network, so disconnected the drive from the laptop, connected it to my router USB port and turned on networking. Drive recognized ok in JRiver. I created a new library with the drive. Problem is now most of my albums show duplicate music files, and many have no cover art (I use my own folder.jpg files in each album music folder).

How do I remove all the duplicates and get JR to recognize the cover art files?

Thanks in advance for the help.

jaybe

• Recent member
Re: Duplicates and No Cover Art After Library Reinstall
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 08:49:12 am »

Further info

When I click on one of the duplicate files and ask to locate, it tells me the file on that path does not exist. It points to the external drive that was removed/moved.

Doing the same on the other file shows it exists at the new networked drive location.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:54:24 pm »

There are a number of ways to fix this.

Easiest way would be to start over with a new library and do a reimport from the network drive.

Another way is to enable Auto-import on the network device and change Fix Broken Links to yes.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Fix_Broken_Links

You will want to switch it back afterwards so your files on the network are not removed from the library if your server goes down.

Another way is to use a smartlist to filter by file location and find all entries that point to your old drive (i.e File Location>E:\) and do a bulk remove from library.

Another way is to create a smartlist with all missing files displayed, [=ismissing([filename])]=1, and do a bulk remove, but this will be slow.

There are other possibilities as well.

What likely happened is that your library was not "new" like you thought or you didn't run a clear library before you moved your files. It is also possible that you did clear the library but had autoimport set up for your external drive while it was still connected to your computer (before you moved it). It's also possible that the library was not cleared and you could have easily pointed the database entries to the new network location by using the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool and Updated the Database to point to your new network location by using the find and replace tool. This would have preserved your metadata and artwork.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

If the above options don't work an easy solution would be to map your network share to the same drive letter as your external drive was issued previously. Then just do a library restore from an old backup.

jaybe

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:23:13 pm »

Bryan, a late thanks to your helpful reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up