INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not using enough bits to output the imput directly  (Read 4957 times)

CROTTIM

• Recent member
Not using enough bits to output the imput directly
« on: March 20, 2015, 04:48:22 pm »

Hi, this is Marco from Italy.

Here in my chain:
Windows 7 connected via usb to:
NuForce uDAC-3 connected via s/pdif to:
Synthesis Matrix DAC (PCM stereo from 32 to 192 KHz - 2x Wolfson 192 KHz 24 bit).
JRiver 17 settings: Windows audio exclusive mode, Wasapi Event style - Dsp format: Source bitdepth.

The problem: when I play 24 bit/96 KHz file dowloaded from Hdtracks I get the following message:
96 KHz 16 bit 2ch using WASAPI - Event style (not using enough bits to output the input directly)

I kindly ask your help. thanks Marco

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Not using enough bits to output the imput directly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:36:17 am »

Hi Marco

Mayube I'm misunderstanding are you actually connecting one DAC to another ("daisy-chain")? If so why? that could provoke a bunch of issues.

If you need both DACs (like one is DSD, the other for PCM), you could set up two zones (or at least I think so I - version 17 is pretty old now), using two different outputs. If not possible, direct connect just one of the DACs and see if this resolves the issue. Don't have time to read up on your equipment, so maybe I'm misunderstanding -- sounds like one DAC is throwing off a lower bit depth to another but never seen an error like that one.

Maybe you could give some more details?

cheers

CROTTIM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:49:15 am »

Hi Arindelle, the Nuforce is used only as a bridge because it has the s/pdif output. Anyway, forget the Synthesis Matrix. The problem is apparently between jriver and the Nuforce. I found a review on Head-fi that highlights the same Driver/Compatibility issue. The author writes:"For the life of me, I could not get the uDac-3 to play 24bit files using any bitperfect method." I can add that when I configure the NuForce on my Win7 Home Edition in the tab "Advanced" i do not find the 24bit optinon, I only find 16bit options. So the problem may be the driver ... thanks for your answer. Marco

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:04:51 pm »

ahh that makes sense now -- drivers can be a real pain

what I don't get is why you would want to not go direct to the synthesis DAC

CROTTIM

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 04:00:29 pm »

Just trying different solutions...

CROTTIM

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 08:59:13 am »

Tried with Kernel Streaming... Seems to work!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up