INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Incorrect size estimates when converting Apple Lossless to Flac  (Read 1835 times)

Cheezmo

• Recent member

I sync to my Pono from an iTunes library that is all in Apple Lossless Format.  I have Pono Music World convert to flac when syncing which adds ReplayGain tags so that the Pono can do volume normalization and it works great.

But, the size estimates are messed up.

The problem I'm seeing is that if I have 64Gb of Apple Lossless files, the PMW app seems to assume that converting them to FLAC they will only take up about 32Gb.  The reality is that Apple Lossless converted to flac is about the same size.  So, if I accidentally have more than 64Gb in my playlist, PMW thinks it will fit and try to sync anyway.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Incorrect size estimates when converting Apple Lossless to Flac
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:02:27 am »

don't have a Pono so not sure how this works on automatic, but Flac should be slightly smaller, but not much than the ALACs. However, you have different compression choices. Maybe there is a setting for this? usually it is at 5 or 6. I use the maximum of 8 and there is no effect on audio quality provided that whatever is rendering has enough processing power. I'd get a freeware conversion tool and check a couple of files

Cheezmo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 08:59:05 am »

I understand all that, but it appears that PMW is predicting that it will reduce the size of ALAC by about 50% when converting to flac.  That will never happen.  The flac may be a little smaller (depending on settings as you say), but it looks like PMW is treating ALAC as uncompressed (AIFF/WAV).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:21:10 am »

Thanks.  We'll take a look.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up