INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will choice of on board hdmi or separate card effect sound quality?  (Read 3465 times)

trevoraiston

• World Citizen

My original motherboard with 8 sata ports has developed a fault.  Can't afford to replace like for like at the moment so I'm using a cheaper 6 port board.

I've tried two differing pci sata cards to get extra sata ports .  But both have been a real pain to configure and have locked up PC couple times.  I have a better quality pcie card which has always been reliable  but to use that I need to loose my video card and use on board hdmi video.  I can accept the drop in image quality,  hi def blu ray I'd watch on external Oppo player anyway.

But will I also potentially loose audio quality.  Music is the htpc's primary function

Sorry for long post for short question :-(

Trevor
Trevor
CustomBuild HTPC. YAMAHA RXV673 BK A/V RCVR, AE:Floor Standing AEGIS NEO 3 SPEAKERS,Center: AE NEO 7ii BK CTR SPKR, Sub NEO 8ii BK SUB, Rear:AEGIS NEO 1 V2 SPEAKERS (BLK), Sony MDR-HW700 headphones, KDL55W829BBU SONY 55" 800HZ SMART LED TV and OPPO BDP-105DBMR MULTIREGIONED FOR BLU RAY AND DVD

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Will choice of on board hdmi or separate card effect sound quality?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 11:59:19 am »

It may have different format support (e.g. NVIDIA HDMI does not support 88.2kHz or 176.4kHz output) but will not affect sound quality.

bulldogger

• World Citizen

My original motherboard with 8 sata ports has developed a fault.  Can't afford to replace like for like at the moment so I'm using a cheaper 6 port board.

I've tried two differing pci sata cards to get extra sata ports .  But both have been a real pain to configure and have locked up PC couple times.  I have a better quality pcie card which has always been reliable  but to use that I need to loose my video card and use on board hdmi video.  I can accept the drop in image quality,  hi def blu ray I'd watch on external Oppo player anyway.

But will I also potentially loose audio quality.  Music is the htpc's primary function

Sorry for long post for short question :-(

Trevor
I use an Asus R9 290x presently as my gpu. The fidelity is not better overall than the onboard sound. For some reasons, however, the R9 290x sounds more dynamic via HDMI than does the connection from the mother board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up