INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can a Feature Be Added To MC20 That will allow Audio Files to be consolidated  (Read 1741 times)

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi,

I wanted to know if MC20 developers could add a feature to consolidate music files, artwork, etc... to a single folder (or multiple folders within a JRiver folder such as a folder for music files, media files, Artwork etc.) to a user defined directory so that all JRiver Media files are in one convenient location and the files can be pointed at the specified JRiver folder's directory. Currently, my music and other JRiver files are scattered across different directories and it would be nice to have an option within JRiver to have all of the files in one neat directory, kinda like the way iTunes does. This will make it easy to find files and if a user wishes to change directories for their JRiver files, it would be as simple as the user specifying the directory in which they wish to place the JRiver folder with the consolidated files to the directory of their choice. Would the developers please consider adding this feature?

Thank you for your consideration for my suggestion.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck

What I meant was have, say, a menu from the file drop down list to automatically consolidate files to a user-defined directory and JRiver consolidate them for you like iTunes does.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

The Rename, Move, and Copy Files Tool can do this, using the Presets functionality. It is not quite as automatic as the iTunes version, but it is also a lot more flexible and capable.  Once you define your Directories and Filename Templates once, then you can save this as a preset and recall it at any time.

So, re-doing it is simply a matter of:
1. Open a View or Smartlist that shows all of your files.
2. Control-A to select everything.
3. Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files
4. Load Preset.
5. Apply

Certainly a few more steps, but it also gives you a lot more control, and it isn't that cumbersome. If you're looking for something fully automatic, then MC doesn't have that (but that wasn't clear from your description or follow up).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck

Yes, I was looking for something automatic. For example, have perhaps a drop down menu from, say, the File menu with the option to consolidate files into a single JRiver folder. Then perhaps a prompt could come up asking the user to specify the directory where all of JRiver files are stored. I know there isn't anything automatic in JRiver at this time, so I am asking the developers to perhaps add this feature. Having it consolidate files automatically would be so much easier and quicker IMO.

blgentry

Your request doesn't make much sense for a one time re-organization project.  Are you trying to ask for a feature *just* like itunes that would continually move files to a new structure as they are added to Media Center?  If so, I wouldn't like that myself, but I guess I could just make sure to turn it off.

If not... if you're just looking to reorganize your collection one time, using Rename, Move and Copy is pretty easy.  Adding a "feature" to do this with a button push would be backwards from the JRiver philosophy of user driven flexibility, as opposed to program mandated structures.  In other words, man up.  Take a look at the Rename, Move, and Copy tool and try it out.  It's got a *great* preview feature so you can see what it's going to do before you press OK to make it happen.  You can do it.  :)

Brian.

TheGame

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you all for your help. I just thought it would be easier to have an option to automatically consolidate files into an organized folder option. Thank you all for your answers and input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up