INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up to 35% CPU Usage While Mouse Rests In PlayerBar  (Read 1622 times)

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
Up to 35% CPU Usage While Mouse Rests In PlayerBar
« on: October 02, 2003, 05:36:12 am »

From the bug thread:
Around 35% CPU Usage When Mouse Rests In PlayerBar Area ? ? ?
With this bug, some previous builds had up to 80% CPU usage, build .257 had up to 40% usage - so it's already improved quite much... but there's still a "leftover" of 15% CPU usage with build .265 that maybe unnecessary:  
On my system, MC has about 2% of CPU usage when minimized, 2% to 5% when displaying library.  
It uses 2% to 20% when in PlayingNow (dependent on visualization...) - so far so good...

But when the mouse is over the PlayerBar area, about 15% additional CPU usage is needed. It doesn't matter if the mouse is moving or not, if the arrow is over the display, sliders, buttons or just the background. The program is not doing anything more, but it catches these 15%... The memory usage is not increased.

Is this "by design"? If so, what's the sense of it??

Does anybody else get this?
Can anybody please test it and maybe confirm this bug?

Thanks ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Up to 35% CPU Usage While Mouse Rests In Playe
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 05:49:04 am »

This used to happen because the title would scroll when your mouse was in the player and that required it to redraw a bunch.

However that was removed in recent builds.  So after the mouse stops moving, the CPU should settle down again.  It does on the machines I've tested.

Any more details (or confirmations) would help.

Thanks knickelfarz!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 06:08:13 am »

However that was removed in recent builds.  So after the mouse stops moving, the CPU should settle down again.  It does on the machines I've tested.

Thanks for reply, Matt :)

It looks like MC is redrawing although the display is not scrolling... On my system it doesn't make a difference if the display is scrolling or not, as soon as the mouse is in the PlayerBar area (I mean everything that's drawn in front of the "MainFrame_TopBorder"), about 15% of additional CPU usage are needed... further mouse movements in the PlayerBar area do not increase the CPU usage very much - these 15% are also catched if the mouse arrow "rests".

Maybe it would also be possible to let the display only scroll when the *display* area is reached by the mouse, instead of reacting to the whole PlayerBar area?

--------------------------------------------------------------
DirectX 9.0b - Matrox G550

Media Center 9.1.265 -- C:\Programme\Audio\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 2021 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 775 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3315.2902 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive J:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive J: TEAC     CD-W524E           Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 07:23:21 am »

Scrolling was removed, so that isn't it.  (it never repaints because of that)

I'll try some more computers.  Could it be skin specific?  Anyone else?

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 08:49:29 am »

Could it be skin specific?

No, it happens with all skins... But I did some more testing and found the following:
  • If I start MC and playback, the bug appears. If playback is *paused*, the bug is still there, even if playback is started again.
  • When playback is *stopped*, the bug disappears. If playback is started again from stopped state, the bug does not come back.
  • It's reproduceable that the bug disappears after the first time playback was *stopped*.
  • The bug only appears when a visualization (or Track Info Template that shows visualization) is selected for "Playing Now". It then also appears when the visualization is not visible (when MC is not in "Playing Now" but displays the Library, for example). It doesn't matter which visualization is selected (not 3D Visualization...).

I didn't noticed this earlier because I use the "Stop" button only rarely... but now I think that it's maybe not a bug of MC but more a strange behaviour of ActiveX in combination with some IExplorer settings... I will try to find out... :P

Thanks Matt for your help!

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 08:04:00 am »

Glad to say it's not a bug of MC! :)

After a fresh system installation and some updates
(latest IExplorer patches from the last weeks...) the bug disappeared! Whew!
Pages: [1]   Go Up