INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Id firmware update notification thread  (Read 8440 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Id firmware update notification thread
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »

June 12 2015

The next ID OTA (live update) is up.

You can get it by doing menu item 12 from your Id menu.

This is an extensive update and it's large (about 30 megs). If you have an older Id that hasn't been updated yet the process will be silent. Give it some time, maybe 30 minutes depending on the speed of your internet connection.

Id-20.0.100

Remote access functions (vnc and rdp)
Version information displayed on the main menu
dhcp client runs continuously (used to be one-shot)
minor bug fixes
MediaCenter build 20.0.118

Id-20.0.64

new menu for handling attached USB drives and for attaching network shares
kernel and driver updates.

Before installing this, make a backup of your library!
You can backup your library to the export filesystem directory.

You should also be ready to reinstall the Id firmware if something goes wrong. The last beta firmware is the same as the firmware used in this update, it's at:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95314.msg656625#msg656625

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Id firmware update notification thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »

The update worked for me.  No problems.  Thanks.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:33 pm »

I have started the updates on one of my Ids. After downloading the packages, I got a screen with what looks like a changelog from the "intel-microcode" update. It reads...

Code: [Select]
intel-microcode (3.20140913.1~bpo70+2) wheezy-backports; urgency=high

Release 3.20140913.1 drops support for [blah blah blah blah...]

(q to quit)

I am guessing that "(q to quit)" means quit reading the changelog, as opposed to quit the Id update? I hit "q", and the installation seemed to continue just fine.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 01:26:01 pm »

I have started the updates on one of my Ids. After downloading the packages, I got a screen with what looks like a changelog from the "intel-microcode" update. It reads...

Code: [Select]
intel-microcode (3.20140913.1~bpo70+2) wheezy-backports; urgency=high

Release 3.20140913.1 drops support for [blah blah blah blah...]

(q to quit)

I am guessing that "(q to quit)" means quit reading the changelog, as opposed to quit the Id update? I hit "q", and the installation seemed to continue just fine.
Correct. I didn't run into that in testing since I was starting with an older revision to make the upgrade testing more difficult.
The newer revisions of the Id don't do the update in quiet mode so one will end up with that changelog and as you say just need to do q to continue the upgrade.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:35:42 pm »

Great, thanks, Bob.

After rebooting, I got an "Error: Couldn't connect to XServer" message, followed by a segmentation fault for the "mediacenter" program. I am guessing that this is related to the fact that I had been in GUI mode before the update. Fortunately, all I had to do was to tell the text menu to boot up in GUI mode again (or either of the two other modes). One reboot later, and the problem was gone.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 01:40:22 pm »

Btw, for one of my Ids (the one that I had not been using as a test guinea pig), I found that I had to go through 2 updates. One to download the latest firmware and program, and then another to download the "iceweasel" web browser. Just mentioning this for anyone else who is doing the update.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.
The default is to go back into the mode that doesn't do HDMI initialization and when the Xserver doesn't start you get the text menu so what you did is correct.
I didn't have to do 2 updates on the old version I ran the OTA update on but I do think I saw it require 2 updates on a newer one as well.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.
The default is to back into the mode that doesn't do HDMI initialization and when the Xserver doesn't start you get the text menu so what you did is correct.
I didn't have to do 2 updates on the old version I ran the OTA update on but I do think I saw it require 2 updates on a newer one as well.

Just thought I'd pass on 3 successful updates....2 went per Xserver restart as above, and one that had the new beta version on it went per the "q" to quit post.
All units pretty new...
Nice work!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »

Just thought I'd pass on 3 successful updates....2 went per Xserver restart as above, and one that had the new beta version on it went per the "q" to quit post.
All units pretty new...
Nice work!
Great, thanks for the feedback!

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:21:51 am »

Great, thanks for the feedback!

Hi Bob,  one thing i have noticed between units is a very large difference in startup and shutdown times, particularly shutdown time.

For GUI shutdown or reboot , the 2 units that i did not try try beta on, both shutdown in like 5 seconds, straight from the halt NOW message, with no further txt.
The unit i tried beta on, stays on halt NOW for about 115sec, then shows a number of lines "Failed to read: session.screen....varies, ending with "Setting default value" for about 90 seconds before shutting down.

There are other differences on the beta upgraded unit, like when switch from headless to GUI,
I see "Warning  invoke-rc.d .......; Enabling safe mode.." 
This unit also stays on Pls wait to terminate media center" for about 95 sec.
And then "stopping enhanced syslogn: rsyslogn" for about 2 min.

What do I do?  Thanks in advance :)   Mark

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:58 am »

Hi Bob,  one thing i have noticed between units is a very large difference in startup and shutdown times, particularly shutdown time.

For GUI shutdown or reboot , the 2 units that i did not try try beta on, both shutdown in like 5 seconds, straight from the halt NOW message, with no further txt.
The unit i tried beta on, stays on halt NOW for about 115sec, then shows a number of lines "Failed to read: session.screen....varies, ending with "Setting default value" for about 90 seconds before shutting down.

There are other differences on the beta upgraded unit, like when switch from headless to GUI,
I see "Warning  invoke-rc.d .......; Enabling safe mode.." 
This unit also stays on Pls wait to terminate media center" for about 95 sec.
And then "stopping enhanced syslogn: rsyslogn" for about 2 min.

What do I do?  Thanks in advance :)   Mark
Mark, the big difference here is the shutdown time.
The Id shutdown is now waiting for MC to terminate gracefully when given a signal. Unfortunately the processing of that signal in the current version of MC on the Id is faulty. The next MC for the Id will fix that. I haven't pushed that MC update yet since that change has yet to reach the stable build.

The slowness on startup is due to the fact that MC now needs to wait for the network to be fully up so it can mount any network shares before starting MC. Previously it didn't have to wait for the network.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 10:46:19 am »

Mark, the big difference here is the shutdown time.
The Id shutdown is now waiting for MC to terminate gracefully when given a signal. Unfortunately the processing of that signal in the current version of MC on the Id is faulty. The next MC for the Id will fix that. I haven't pushed that MC update yet since that change has yet to reach the stable build.

The slowness on startup is due to the fact that MC now needs to wait for the network to be fully up so it can mount any network shares before starting MC. Previously it didn't have to wait for the network.

Thx Bob, what I don't get is why two units I updated shutdown lightning fast, and the third is so slow. 
The only difference between them that i know, is that the slow one got beta last month...(and that I mounted a NAS with it...)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:52 am »

Thx Bob, what I don't get is why two units I updated shutdown lightning fast, and the third is so slow. 
The only difference between them that i know, is that the slow one got beta last month...(and that I mounted a NAS with it...)
That is odd. I wonder if the update completed on the two that shutdown fast?

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:04 pm »

That is odd. I wonder if the update completed on the two that shutdown fast?

I think so....All the new menu options are there, and I renamed both of them

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 12:49:07 pm »

I think so....All the new menu options are there, and I renamed both of them
Are they all in the same mode (gui or text)?
In text mode, the shutdown should display the "Waiting for mediacenter to terminate" message. Are you seeing that?

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 01:35:21 pm »

Are they all in the same mode (gui or text)?
In text mode, the shutdown should display the "Waiting for mediacenter to terminate" message. Are you seeing that?

Yes, all have been in GUI mode.       Other than when I reported above about messages I see on reboot, changing from text to GUI (on the beta unit) Messages that included "Waiting to terminate....

The 2 units that are shutting down quickly (7 secs from halt now to off).......
I just switched one to text mode .... it does not display "Waiting to terminate.... either (2) Headless, or (3) Text w HDMI

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:26:21 pm »

Yes, all have been in GUI mode.       Other than when I reported above about messages I see on reboot, changing from text to GUI (on the beta unit) Messages that included "Waiting to terminate....

The 2 units that are shutting down quickly (7 secs from halt now to off).......
I just switched one to text mode .... it does not display "Waiting to terminate.... either (2) Headless, or (3) Text w HDMI
Thanks for the help, found it.
Missed that shutdown script in the OTA update.

Edit: hmm, it seems like it should be there!

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »

Thanks for the help, found it.
Missed that shutdown script in the OTA update.

Edit: hmm, it seems like it should be there!

Not sure what to do now....
Are you saying the two IDs that shut down quickly aren't working right?  I like that......hate to fix em!  lol
If I should fix them, what to do ?   OTA update again?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 04:34:12 pm »

Not sure what to do now....
Are you saying the two IDs that shut down quickly aren't working right?  I like that......hate to fix em!  lol
If I should fix them, what to do ?   OTA update again?
I need to test that more. I've got to build an Id from the old generation image and try to update it. I've done that before but I didn't notice the lack of the shutdown script which should be verified.

Yes, it should shutdown more slowly. The increase in shutdown time will greatly decrease though after the next MediaCenter update for the Id.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 02:12:35 pm »

June 12th 2015: New OTA update available. See the top message.
Pages: [1]   Go Up