INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user - AMD A10 7800 with R7 250 apu  (Read 4553 times)

flashp

• Recent member
New user - AMD A10 7800 with R7 250 apu
« on: March 26, 2015, 07:43:33 am »

I just installed a trial of JR MC and so far I'm impressed. I'm thinking of moving from Arcsoft TMT6 and MPC-HC (which I've used with LAV filters and MadVR).
For me JR MC seems to pull together all of the best bits of both and has managed the 'nitty gritty' settings by way of some well thought out profiles.

My question however is regarding my CPU/GPU. As the title says, it's an AMD A10 7800 with the R7 250 apu. Is this up to the job of running MadVR with useful settings, not looking to max out settings for the sake of it, just hit the sweet spot without having performance issues. Is AMD's 'dual graphics' feature worth anything here?

Thanks for any advice!

Ashley.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New user - AMD A10 7800 with R7 250 apu
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:23:21 am »

If you have MC installed, choose "Red October HQ" in MC's settings for video.  That uses madVR.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:28 am »

I would be very surprised if a modern APU had difficulty with madVR, since I was using it on a dual-core Intel system with an integrated GeForce 9400 years ago.

If you've already tried madVR with MPC-HC, it won't be any more or less demanding in MC.

flashp

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:10 am »

If you have MC installed, choose "Red October HQ" in MC's settings for video.  That uses madVR.
I have this selected for this very reason, madVR  :)

I'm curious to know if an APU is expected to be able to deal with this setting. In the past when I've used discrete cards with MPC-HC I've always found myself using something fairly substantial (in relative terms) and usually from NVidia. I'm completely un-clear on whether or APU's can stand up alongside such cards and match them or if there's some other lesser known advantage to using a discrete card. I chose an AMD APU equipped device on specification alone where it would seem it's every bit as good as a similar card.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 10:06:27 am »

The test is whether it works.  Does it work with ROHQ?

flashp

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »

The test is whether it works.  Does it work with ROHQ?
The short answer is yes, it does. I suppose what I was getting at is whether or not it was known if this a marginally adequate solution or one that can comfortably operate as I need. I just didn't want to have this seemingly function correctly and be relying on component tolerances or cooling to keep it on the acceptable side of a knife edge.

I do have an issue related to sound which isn't peculiar to this software but is associated HD MA over HDMI, which is why I was questioning the APU also. On occasion I get a loud click, similar to what would have once have been called a static pop, which only seems to manifest on DTS HD MA, not DTS. My amp is a Yamaha RX-V673...not sure if that was ever affected by the 'DTS bomb' or even if that is what I hear every no and then. Maybe that's another thread!

Thanks for the answers so far.

flashp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 02:40:13 am »

Ok, thought it worth updating here as I've solved my issue.
One of the reasons I called my GPU to question was because of an occasional disturbance in picture quality. I could only describe it as distortion in part of the frame. I was thinking that the GPU was running out of steam but this was not the case.

What solved this was setting 'motion plus' on my Samsung TV to 'clear'.

Picture quality is now perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up