INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prevent client being able to alter files when connected remotely?  (Read 1234 times)

Funkmeister

• Recent member

I've just shared my library with a mate over the internet - it works beautifully but I'd like to make sure that he's only able to do 'read only' on the carefully-tagged files.  Is there any way to ensure that he is only able to play and not accidentally delete/alter tags etc?

Many thanks!

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Prevent client being able to alter files when connected remotely?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:07:08 pm »

you may want to read through this post - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95099.new;topicseen#new

i personally have authentication turned on, but do not share with anyone outside home network. and everyone in my home network is instructed to only use jriver in theaterview. (in theaterview you have the option to disable deletions.)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »

I've just shared my library with a mate over the internet - it works beautifully but I'd like to make sure that he's only able to do 'read only' on the carefully-tagged files.  Is there any way to ensure that he is only able to play and not accidentally delete/alter tags etc?

Many thanks!

You can instruct him to turn off autosync in his library client settings. If you really don't trust him you can disable authentication.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 01:47:53 pm »

You can instruct him to turn off autosync in his library client settings. If you really don't trust him you can disable authentication.

you can do this yes.. however, if you read my post in link above you will find by turning off auto sync those clients can not 5 star, or change tags (which can be a downfall) and above all new files that you the server add to your library will not auto update on the clients. they will be forced, and YOU will be forced in your home network to walk to every (or teamviewer in) to every client you have, and hit file/library and then reload the server on the clients.

In our scenario this leads to 6 PC/laptops on a daily basis that would have to be manually refreshed to see the new files that have been added to library. which is not something we want to do. So our only feasible option is to leave authentication on, and leave all pc's in theaterview while disabling delete option, and making sure the library is not available outside home network.

It's what we here consider... a catch 22.

Funkmeister

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:30:35 pm »

Thanks for replying Bryan, I've jumped over to xtacbyme's thread and commented: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95099.msg665724#msg665724

Pages: [1]   Go Up