INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: combining albums  (Read 2760 times)

yc

• Recent member
combining albums
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:33:44 am »

Some albums come with 2 cds...  To reduce clutter, I would like to combine the two as one album that contains the songs of both cds.. How do I go about doing this..   
Many thanks....

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: combining albums
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:24:56 am »

k

“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:55:46 am »

No need to renumber the tracks or remove the disc number.  Just tag the first CD as disc #1, with tracks 1 to 10 (e.g.) and the second as disc #2 with tracks 1 to 12 (e.g.) Make sure both discs have the same Album name and the same Artist. The album with now have 2 CDs and play in the correct order. MC is fine for doing this tagging.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:22:07 am »

k
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:03 am »

personally I do not see the reason to re-tag -- its the meta data thats important. Its the tag value for the album like DTC said that will split them, not the file naming convention.

I also like to keep the disk numbers and the original tracks. I set the track field to not to write to the disk.

My ripping mask will split the cd like so Album Name\CD#\tracks+image file as folder.jpg  which allows me to keep the cd rip=to the web tag information, and also I don't have multiple root directories for the same album. (not to bad for 2cd recordings, but for box sets its a mess. Most of te time I will order the tracks (say a double cd with 20 tracks on one and 17 on the other) from 1-37. However if need be the original disk rip cand be re-imported or burned. The library will keep track of the metadata, without overwriting the ripped metadata.

basically to keep Albums from splitting the Album Name and the Album Artist (or Album Artist (auto) )tag fields must be the same. Why Various Artists (or the equivalent) is used for compilations, leaving the artist field for by-track information.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 08:11:10 pm »

No need to renumber the tracks or remove the disc number.  Just tag the first CD as disc #1, with tracks 1 to 10 (e.g.) and the second as disc #2 with tracks 1 to 12 (e.g.) Make sure both discs have the same Album name and the same Artist. The album with now have 2 CDs and play in the correct order. MC is fine for doing this tagging.

This is how I do it, using the disc# tag.

If you have a case where you are using players (like in-car) that don't recognize the disc number, another way is to add the disc number to the track number so you end up with:
101, 102, 103... for disc 1
201, 202, 203... for disc 2

yc

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 04:49:34 am »

Many thanks for all the tips and advise   :)

yc

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 05:17:05 am »

Ran into some problems with files that I have downloaded...   I cant seem to group them together under one album for example.  I have been using 'Album name' and relocating to the required album folders and it seemed to work fine for the Ripped cds.  But not for the downloaded files..  Any ideas???

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 05:45:00 am »

Ran into some problems with files that I have downloaded...   I cant seem to group them together under one album for example.  I have been using 'Album name' and relocating to the required album folders and it seemed to work fine for the Ripped cds.  But not for the downloaded files..  Any ideas???
As I said, usually thats because the Album Artist and Album Name tags are not the same or the Album Artist (or Album Artist (auto)) is empty. Most flac downloads have that in the metadata, but not sure about itunes/amazon etc. Lots of internet metadata is pretty crappy.

PS - What I find is every place I purchase music for download has a different way of naming their files, so you might want to set-up a preset in The Rename, Move and Copy tool so not only would your folders be renamed, but all the files names themselves would be in a consistant format. Once you spend a couple of minutes setting up this preset it'is really quite fast and easy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up