INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate TV recordings happening on same day  (Read 2079 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Duplicate TV recordings happening on same day
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:25 am »

I seem to be getting a lot of duplicate recordings. My system has three TV tuners. It looks like two of them are recording the same show on the same date. Is this possible? If not perhaps the duplication is happening in the file system somehow - although not every recording has a duplicate. I know the duplicates are happening on the same day.

I have recordings setup to record Subscriptions "on all channels" and "at all times", "Allow reruns", and "Do not record shows that have been recorded in the past".

First I set up the "Subscription default - compare fields" to look at "Series Name" Season number" and Episode Number" but I was getting duplicate recordings. So then I switched to "Name" and "Description". But I still get some duplicates. I guess there is no best setting.  

What might would work best would be to have MC look for "Name and Description" OR "Series Name, Season Number, Episode Number", and if either group is a match, don't record.

I know getting duplicates is better than not getting the recording at all. This is just an idea to improve the program.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Dulpicate TV recordings happening on same day
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:53:47 am »

Do you have channels that air identical programs in the same time slot?

Can you find any differences between the otherwise identical recorded programs?  For example is it the case in your duplicates that either descriptions are different, or Season/episode numbers are different?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:53 am »

Part of my "maintenance routine" is to look for duplicates (via smart list) and delete them every couple of days. I did this earlier today - which is what prompted me to ask/post. However, I should have looked for some clues.
I'll report back with more detail on the next group of duplicates.

CountryBumkin

More duplicates today.
I see that that the duplicated recordings have a slightly different Description - so that explains why I am getting the duplicates.

I've been using "Name" and "Description" to determine if show has previously been recorded. That seems to be the most reliable.

I tried using "Series Name", "Season Number", and "Episode Number", but that doesn't work 100% either because some TV shows (like NOVA) always have "00" for the Season and Episode.

So I guess there is no way to get around this, and I'll just keep deleting the duplicates as part of my maintenance routine.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »

I saw this for the first time yesterday.

Two identical entries in the Recordings.

There is only one tuner.

Two files:

NBC Nightly News 2015-04-05.ts
NBC Nightly News 2015-04-05 (1).ts

MC20 build 37 (it is not updated, because this is the old spare laptop that I am trying to setup to do only TV recording.  But I will update it if the duplicate happens again.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:33:26 pm »

I saw this for the first time yesterday.

Two identical entries in the Recordings.

There is only one tuner.

Two files:

NBC Nightly News 2015-04-05.ts
NBC Nightly News 2015-04-05 (1).ts

MC20 build 37 (it is not updated, because this is the old spare laptop that I am trying to setup to do only TV recording.  But I will update it if the duplicate happens again.

Have you examined the files themselves?  They may not be indentical (in size for example).  I think these are as result of a failed, or interrupted recording that gets started a second time.  So the recordings are just consecutive parts of the same show.

kstuart

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 04:25:39 pm »

Have you examined the files themselves?  They may not be indentical (in size for example).  I think these are as result of a failed, or interrupted recording that gets started a second time.  So the recordings are just consecutive parts of the same show.

Sorry I should have mentioned - they are exactly the same time of day and roughly the same file size (one is 2.46gb and one is 2.47gb).

I have had interrupted recordings in the past, and those have:

* Different file size
* Different file time of day
* Folder of JTV is still there

In this case, the JTV folder was gone, as is normal for successful recordings.  And in Television in MC20, there are two identical listings under "Recordings" both are 32 minutes in length.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 06:48:02 pm »

Do you know if you had two different channels that happened to carry the same show at the same time? 

kstuart

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:30 pm »

No - only one channel had that program.

UPDATE: Mystery solved - I checked the Recording Rules, and before I added a Daily rule for that program, there was already a Sunday only rule.

So, rather than report a conflict, since it does have that program available for both Rules, it writes two copies.

kstuart

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 12:38:53 pm »

So, I'm glad it is not a bug.

Ideally, the system should say "I am already writing one copy of the recording of this program on this tuner, I don't need to write two".

But it is not a big deal.  Much better than writing no copy at all.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up