INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4k, judder, etc...  (Read 10331 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
4k, judder, etc...
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:29:49 pm »

So I just bought a 4k TV...had it for a few days, and exchanged it for a new one.

BOTH of the TV's I have had have this problem (they were both the same model).  I am wondering what might cause this, or if it is just a bad TV.

Basically, while watching recorded TV (it may happen on movies, but I can't remember seeing it), every once in a while, I get what I would describe as judder...almost like it is dropping frames.  it lasts for less than 1 second, and if you aren't really paying attention, you won't even see it (I don't think my wife has noticed).

I have the option of getting a different 4k TV, but I got such a great deal on this one, that I really dont want to! 

Is there any settings that I can try? 

I can't swear to it, but I think it may only happen on interlaced signals.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: 4k, judder, etc...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »

I would begin by confirming your refresh rates. The PC vs the TV. If they are different you will get judder. There are settings you can change to compensate.
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:40:48 pm »

This might be rectified by smart use of refresh rates. What is your video hardware in MC. Can you check the frame rates of the files that are affected? My guess is that they may be at 23.976 fps, and your screen might be refreshing at 24Hz, or a multiple of it like 120 Hz. Please also post how often you see this - time it between two instances of it happening in the same file. If my speculation is correct, the timing will be between 41 and 42 seconds for each incidence.
With the info requested, we can confirm whether that's the issue, and hopefully help you fix it. With the limited info I have, I don't think it's the TV.
Recap. Please post:

Your video hardware, e.g. nVidia, AMD/ATi, or intel.
Are you using Red October standard or HQ?
Refresh rate set in windows
Whether you have automatic refresh rate changes set up in MC
Frame rate of video files that are affected by the stuttering.
How frequently the stuttering happens.

Thanks!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 02:49:30 pm »

Thanks. 

Hardware is (currently) Intel i7 (Sandy Bridge), with an Nvidia GTX960 running at 3840x2160 @ 60FPS.  Also saw this on PC running 1080p @ 60FPS.  The TV does have a 'film mode' that is set to auto currently.

I have tried it with both RO Std and RO HQ, and have seen it on both.  I am currently using RO HQ.

I do not have auto refresh rates in MC, unless it is default...

It appears that all of my content (recorded TV) per the FPS tag is either 29.97 or 59.94 FPS.

I will time the stuttering tonight and see...it is so subtle that I hope I can get an accurate reading.

Thanks again!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »

Go to Tools>Options>Video>Display Settings and turn "Display Settings automatic change mode:" to "On" if it is not already set there, and see if that helps.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 03:49:48 pm »

Thanks. 

Hardware is (currently) Intel i7 (Sandy Bridge), with an Nvidia GTX960 running at 3840x2160 @ 60FPS.  Also saw this on PC running 1080p @ 60FPS.  The TV does have a 'film mode' that is set to auto currently.

I have tried it with both RO Std and RO HQ, and have seen it on both.  I am currently using RO HQ.

I do not have auto refresh rates in MC, unless it is default...

It appears that all of my content (recorded TV) per the FPS tag is either 29.97 or 59.94 FPS.

I will time the stuttering tonight and see...it is so subtle that I hope I can get an accurate reading.

Thanks again!

Thanks for this info. Best to proceed making one change at a time. The problem may be the discrepancy between 29.97 or 59.94 fps and the 60 Hz refresh rate. On top of that, I am not sure what the TV's film mode is - it could just be a picture preset (brightness, contrast, saturation etc.), or it could be trying to do 23.976 Hz. If the latter, it may be compounding the problem.
If I am correct, you will see the judder every 16-17 seconds or 33-34 seconds depending on the fps of the original material.
As countrybumkin suggests, you may wish to turn on automatic refresh rate changing in the settings. We may need to help you customise this to tweak it optimally. However, before you try that, you may like to turn on ROHQ and then in the MadVR settings:
Under rendering>Smoothing> Try activating smoothing to always on.

MadVR settings can be reached by right clicking on a playing video and looking in the directshow filters pop-up menu.

If this helps, then we can go from there with a more elegant solution.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 04:26:14 pm »

Thanks so much guys!  I will try this tonight and get back to you.

To further complicate this, the current TV has a problem with Netflix, so I am having to swap it out again, but the picture is really good, and a 50" 4k for $699 is hard to pass up!  The first one Netflix did work on, and 4k streaming from netflix looked amazing!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:32:51 pm »

So did some testing tonight, and nothing seems to help.  Tried the smoothing in RO HQ, and that didn't fix it, tried the Display setting, and that didn't work.  Turned of film mode (which changes the TV to better accept 24 FPS), and that didn't help.

Not sure what to do.

I tried to figure out how long between the jitter, and it was really hard...sometimes it was 13 seconds, and sometimes it seemed like it was a couple minutes.

I checked a Blu-Ray rip that was 23.9xx FPS, and while it might have happened, it was much less noticable, and I wasn't completely sure, but it was for sure happening on interlaced TV recordings.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:58:38 pm »

Once playback starts with ROHQ, hit CTRL+J to bring up the stats window, and then CTRL+R to reset the stats.
You can then hide them again if you want.

After this stuttering occurs, bring up the stats again and see if your dropped/delayed frame count is anything higher than zero.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 12:10:10 am »

0 of both after repeated jitter.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 12:56:11 am »

0 dropped frames and visible judder is a strong indicator of refresh rate mismatch. Do you use receiver? If so it will most likely have a screen where you can check the TV reported capabilities (1080p 24 fps, 720p 60 fps etc...) ad the incoming PC signal.
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 01:14:29 am »

No receiver...

Honestly it's not a big deal as long as it is not the TV. 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:55:48 am »

Have you explored the TV's configuration settings in detail?  I had a large Samsung screen that had ugly visible judder, until I found a setting called something like "display motion" or "auto motion" and changed it to "clear."  Literally every other option under that setting produced results that were either smeared or juddery.  It's some sort of motion smoothing gimmick, and several other manufacturers have similar settings (LG does as I recall).

I'm not an expert, but it's worth a look.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:40:32 am »

The TV has smooth motion, and clear action.  Smooth motion gives it the 'soap opera' effect, although, I only tried it on the low setting.  Clear action is either on or off, but neither seems to make a difference.

It doesn't appear to be an interlaced/non-interlaced issue.  I have an episode of TV that RO HQ says is not interlaced, but is 1280x720 resolution (although RO HQ says it is slightly lower than that), but that episode always shows the jitter, so I tend to use it to test with. On Elementary last night, I barely noticed it, and it was 1920x1080.

I am wondering now if it's not worse on lower resolutions.  I have some compressed videos that are 854x480 that I am going to test.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 09:49:57 am »

So now I am more confused than ever...the SAME episode that I had ran through handbrake, and converted to 854x480 29.97 FPS has no issues, or if any, I didn't notice them.

What I did find interesting is that that episode, using Cntrl-J, showed as the correct resolution, but the original episode (before I ran it through handbrake) shows as lower than 1280x720, it was something like 1223x684 or similar...do you know why it did that?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 10:22:22 am »

Not sure if anyone can help me out on this decision, but I need to make a decision by tonight...

The Vizio that I have (http://www.vizio.com/p502uib1.html) is going back to Costco regardless...Netflix isn't working.  So, I can exchange it for a new one, or I can spend a little more, and get one of these from Micro Center:

This one is $100 more, and I lean towards this one if I am going to swap it for something else:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/433237/49_2160p_Ultra_HD_Smart_3D_LED_TV_with_webOS_-_49UB8500

or (this one is $200 more, but it is a lower end Samsung...but it is still Samsung):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/439906/55_4K_Ultra_HD_LED_Smart_TV_-_UN55HU6840

OR (this one is actually the same price as the Vizio):

http://www.microcenter.com/product/447277/49UB8200_49_4k_Ultra_HD_LED_Smart_TV

I will say that if I am going to do a 4k TV, 4k netflix is a must, and I haven't checked to make sure all of these support 4k netflix, but I assume they do...if I find out otherwise, then I will take it off y list.

Does anyone have any opinions?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 09:55:29 pm »

Went ahead and changed out the TV for the LG49UB8500.  Seems like it was a smart choice, I feel the picture is better, and so far, no judder!  That was only a couple minutes of testing though.

Another thing that is better, is that when I would go in and out of the 'shows' view, it was glitchy about 75% of the time...that also no longer happens.

I think the Vizio just isn't ready for 4k @ 60hz.  Seems like there were definite issues.  If I notice a problem with the new one, I will for sure come back and report what I am seeing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up