INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First impressions with Id USB kit  (Read 2281 times)

Otello

• World Citizen
First impressions with Id USB kit
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:08:08 pm »

OK, this morning I received the package with the USB kit, it was shipped on March 17th, not bad for the horrible Italian post service. ;)

I installed on a NUC 2820 with SSD disk; installation got exactly 29 minutes, including:
- 2 minutes to remember where are located the "-" and "@" key on US keyboard (needed for registration).
- 3 minutes to repeat the registration process, as - of course - the first time I inserted the letter "o" in place of the number "0"
- 5 minutes looking at a black monitor, before I realized something went wrong and I had to hard reboot; for the record I had to choose the second option of the menu, the one with HDMI initialization.
- 5 minutes to check for and install the update.
- 30 seconds to mount my NAS; it is now scanning the library.

I'd say it was easier than I expected, as I'm not expert at all with Linux; I think the USB kit is the way to go for people living outside US (you save on shipment and custom duties).

Just 2 questions:
- is there a way to change the regional settings, so to use the Italian keyboard layout?
- is there an easy way to import a Windows library pointing to the same NAS, so I can avoid to enter from scratch the tags for SACD ISOs?

Ah, I almost forgot: while waiting for the delivery of the USB kit, last week I installed the Windows version on the same PC; during the Id installation I got the remote access key and it is the same I previously received for the Windows version, so JR knows it is the same PC...
I'm curious: how the access Keys assignment works?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: First impressions with Id USB kit
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:22 pm »

Good news.  Thanks for the report. 

Access Keys are registered on our server.  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Access_Key

You could try Backup and Restore (under File) to move from Windows to Linux, but you would have to edit back slashes to slashes (\ and /).  I don't know if it would work.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 01:57:52 pm »

You may need to reset your access key on the Id. The key should be unique. It's in the Options->Media Network section.

Sometimes the install seems to not finish the Id boot process properly, I think it's got something to do with caching on the disk.
You can try rebooting off of the id stick and running the boot fix option to see if that fixes the blank screen issue.
Running the boot fix doesn't change anything else on the running system.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:23 pm »

You may need to reset your access key on the Id. The key should be unique. It's in the Options->Media Network section.

Sometimes the install seems to not finish the Id boot process properly, I think it's got something to do with caching on the disk.
You can try rebooting off of the id stick and running the boot fix option to see if that fixes the blank screen issue.
Running the boot fix doesn't change anything else on the running system.

Well, actually the Id is unique, as the other JR copy was nuked during Id install ;).
Anyway on day 2 I made a mess with the library and I started the installation from scratch. The second time the install finished properly (no black screen).

P.S. Ah, just for fun I tried to install on an old Fit-PC2 (I got it in 2010, maybe 2009?); it wasn't supposed to work, as the Fit-PC2 has a fake HDMI port (it's a DVI), but the install went throu, it works! Of course only as renderer in headless mode.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »

Well, actually the Id is unique, as the other JR copy was nuked during Id install ;).
Anyway on day 2 I made a mess with the library and I started the installation from scratch. The second time the install finished properly (no black screen).

P.S. Ah, just for fun I tried to install on an old Fit-PC2 (I got it in 2010, maybe 2009?); it wasn't supposed to work, as the Fit-PC2 has a fake HDMI port (it's a DVI), but the install went throu, it works! Of course only as renderer in headless mode.

The Id may not be globally unique. I'd probably reset it anyway.
The Kit will work on many devices, it's limitations mostly concern the GUI and video drivers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up