INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser HD800 headphones  (Read 21221 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Sennheiser HD800 headphones
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:57:48 pm »

I got a set of Sennheiser HD600 headphones a long time ago.  I would say it's sort of what led to the creation of Monkey's Audio because suddenly my MP3 files didn't sound so good.  I bought them when I couldn't really afford to be spending that much on headphones :P

I've since worn them out (they're still limping at the office, but barely) and replaced them with a set of HD650.

I love these phones, but I'm considering purchasing a set of HD800 because they're supposed to be even better.

Does anyone have any experience with them and can you speak to the differences between the HD650?

Thanks for any help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Al ex

Re:
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:17:08 pm »

They are said to sound a little bit flatter and less bass, more difficult to drive. But Good quality will Sound great, Bad quality even worse. I recently had the chance to try them out shortly in a local electronics store and was quite impressed, however couldn't finally make my opinion, if they are worth the 1200 EUR, or maybe if the HD700 (I think half the price of the 800) are already enough in terms of sound quality...

Re: Sennheiser HD800 headphones
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 03:03:57 am »

While the HD600 is universally praised, and it seems to be 50/50 on whether someone prefers the 600 or the 650 (the HD600 is the flatter, more accurate headphone, the HD650 is "HiFi") opinions seem to be very mixed on the HD700/800.

The HD700 was universally panned on release until the price was reduced. (I believe it launched at $1000 and is now $750 MSRP)
Opinion these days seems to be that it's a good purchase, though there are a lot of options in its price bracket.

The HD800 seems to be a love-it or hate-it headphone for many people. It's very revealing, and needs to be paired up with a suitable amplifier to sound its best.
There are also issues with ringing at higher frequencies, which people are resorting to DIY modding to fix.

It's somewhat frustrating because I was not really in a position where I could justify spending the money on an HD800 back when they were first released six or so years ago.
And now that I can, I am concerned that there's a good chance they will be replaced with an updated model that fixes this if I do decide to buy a pair now. I have a habit of making big purchases right as companies decide to introduce new models.
Of course that may or may not be an issue for you. There are plenty of people that enjoy the unmodded HD800 sound, and if you really enjoy it, you probably won't care if a newer model gets released.

There's been a lot of competition in the high-end headphone space recently from companies like Audeze and Oppo, and there have been murmurs about a new flagship from Sennheiser over the last year or so.
There were similar murmurings about a new flagship from Sony about six months prior to the MDR-Z7 launch (though I don't recommend the Z7) - and Sennheiser have been bringing the Orpheus to trade shows again recently.
So it looks like there could be a new model released some time this year, but it may be a flagship along the lines of the Orpheus ($13,000) rather than an HD800 update/replacement. ($1,500)

It's not my intention to cast doubt over this, I'm just voicing my own concerns as someone that has been thinking about the HD800 recently as well.
But if you're anything like me, you'd rather be aware of it than find out after making your purchase.

And as you will be very aware, who knows what the future holds? You could be hit by a bus next week - so why wait 6+ months just because something better might come along?
While I have generally been a "wait and see" type of person when considering large purchases like that, there's been a lot of things that have happened over the last 6 months or so which are making me reconsider that.
I'm now leaning more towards: if you want it and you can afford it, just buy it. And if you can afford the difference between the HD700 and HD800 ($750) I'd just go for the HD800.
A few years down the line I'd always be questioning whether I should have just spent the extra $750.

Somewhat related, you may find Linus Tech Tips' recent Sennheiser factory tour interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5es8zggYM7A
And while I know that a lot of people don't like Ken Rockwell's opinion on things - especially now that he's moving into audio instead of just photography, I do find that his reviews are useful to get a more practical idea of what something is like, without a lot of the audiophile "baggage" getting in the way: http://kenrockwell.com/audio/sennheiser/hd800.htm

Al ex

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 08:31:22 am »

I got a set of Sennheiser HD600 headphones a long time ago.  I would say it's sort of what led to the creation of Monkey's Audio because suddenly my MP3 files didn't sound so good.  I bought them when I couldn't really afford to be spending that much on headphones :P

I've since worn them out (they're still limping at the office, but barely) and replaced them with a set of HD650.

I love these phones, but I'm considering purchasing a set of HD800 because they're supposed to be even better.

Does anyone have any experience with them and can you speak to the differences between the HD650?

Thanks for any help.
Just curious - how did you decide? Did you test the HD800?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:52 am »

Just curious - how did you decide? Did you test the HD800?

I'm really slow with purchases like this!  I'm still thinking.  I might still be thinking a year from now :P

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 08:41:14 am »

In my experience, wife acceptance factor is much higher when a purchase (large at my income bracket) is not an impulse but a long considered one. Can't speak to the headphones themselves (I'm using a set of Revox/ Beyer Dynamic from the 90s) but happy wife, happy life.   ;D

Hilton

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:51 am »

I got a set of Sennheiser HD600 headphones a long time ago.  I would say it's sort of what led to the creation of Monkey's Audio because suddenly my MP3 files didn't sound so good.  I bought them when I couldn't really afford to be spending that much on headphones :P

Thanks for any help.

I also have the HD600s. All the parts that wear out are replaceable pretty cheaply for the HD600 as long as the drivers or headband don't need replacement.
About $50 for the headband pads and a new pair of ear cushions with inner liners.  They feel like new, I did it a year ago instead of buying HD800s. Im very happy with the original HD600s.
Maybe spend $50 to tide you over till you feel ready. :)

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/index.php?match=all&subcats=Y&category_id=85&cid=85&dispatch=product_features.view&q=HD600&page=1

Sotex

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 09:18:35 am »

I am new to MC and am not remotely an expert but I have been auditioning headphones from a local dealer. I went in thinking I wanted an open back design certainly and probably a Senn HD800. In my dealer's listening room it took me all of two minutes to realize that i prefer the sound signature of the Audeze over the Senn as well as other reputable brands (for my ears). Next surprise was that I preferred the LCD XC (closed back) over the LCD X (open back) both sonically as well as from an isolation perspective. I have now had the XC at home for a week and am incredibly impressed by the musicality of what I hear. My home setup is less sophisticated than my dealer, with MacPro with MC playing FLAC and AIFF files through USB Dragonfly output to Bryston BHA-1 headphone amp with balanced cables to LCD XC. I will experiment with better DAC, cables, other headphones (i.e. LCD2 and 3), etc. before I buy. The Bryston HA will stay I am sure. The point is to audition them if you can and compare to others. I certainly came out with ideas far different than I envisioned. I listen to all types of music but weighted to classical, jazz, and singer/songwriter. My music has never sounded so good. A real treat. I hope that helps a bit.

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:40:50 am »

I thought I remember seeing you say you have the 580 (as do I) a while ago. I would wait to see what Sennheiser does since you obviously like the sonic signature. That is unless you can audition the HD800 at local dealer. As someone else suggested you can get parts for the 600 and practically rebuild it from the ground up. I recall some folks (maybe at HeadFi) doing just that without even having purchased the headphones new in the first place.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:39 am »

Just keep in mind that you need a neck as thick as a tree trunk if you want to wear the Audeze headphones all day.
They are twice the weight of the HD800 and the HD800 is already on the heavier side of things.

The Sony headphones I normally use weigh about a third of that and even that is bordering on too much for me - though I do wear them all day, and I do have some neck/shoulder problems, so of course YMMV.
But I know a number of people that bought the Audeze LCD line because they sounded fantastic, and parted with them because they couldn't wear them comfortably for more than the length of an album. Just something to watch out for.

Sotex

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 02:00:50 pm »

I agree with the Audeze LCD-XC weight being a potential problem. I am in a dedicated listening environment with a chair that supports my neck. Wearing them for a prolonged period without any support likely would likely be problematic for many. The tightness of the clamping doesn't bother me, and I actually prefer it for the superior sound isolation. So a lot depends on personal listening habits and sonic preferences.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 02:28:51 pm »

Yes, I don't meant to suggest that it's bad - having a reclining chair with neck support would probably be ideal for relaxing with the Audeze headphones and you wouldn't notice the weight much at all.
But if the intention is to be wearing them all day at a desk while working, that may be a problem.

bebe

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »

The link to older thread that discusses ordering Sennheiser parts

http://www.head-fi.org/t/627036/sennheiser-hd580-hd600-replacement-driver-parts-lists-costs

Some are using the parts interchangeably

From what I've surmised it's best to call them and good comments re: customer service and prices going back to 2014

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 11:02:48 pm »

Well I broke down and bought a set of Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

I absolutely love them.  Wow.

However, please send money.  These headphones cost as much as the car I drive a lot of days.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 03:04:59 am »

...I'm aghast!   After your success in DIY speakers you should have given this a go first...

JRiver CEO Elect

MikeO

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:27:56 am »

Hi Matt

Sorry very late on the uptake , I don't normally look at these threads.

Congratulations of a wise choice  ;D

I too agonised. I retired a couple of years back and I foresaw "Fireworks with Wife and 70's rock" so I decided my retirement present from work should be a new pair of headphones . I had Beyer Dynamics from maybe 20 years back, but never really had the time to listen to them too much.

I wittled it down by reading reviews to Sennheiser

I got Sennheiser to loan audition samples to a local shop, yes I had to do that for myself, no dealer here will open the packaging. I agonised for many hours in some poor dealers demo room between the 700 & 800 . I must admit money was "no object" as I wasn't really paying , but I finally plumped for the HD 800's.

I agonised because I found the HD800 extremely detailed (which I love) and the HD700 less so but maybe more musical. Analytical won out eventually and I have never looked back

They do take a bit of driving , and eventually I upgraded my DAC to the Audiolab M-DAC which has a decent headphone amp.

I think most of the comments above hold water. If the recording is dodgy it will sound Very Dodgy , if its good then its mindblowing. The soundstage, space and instrument separation is quite extraordinary. Try Joni Mitchells A Case Of You and Dire Straits Private Investigations. Some DG Piano recordings eg Gilels Eroica Variations also standout - you want to polish the lid of the piano for him its so real.

As you can gather I am relegated to headphone listening for any serious listening and probably 80% of my listening . The comfort level of the HD800 is wonderful, I often spend 3-4 hours on phones with absolutely no discomfort. When I use other headphones (also Sennheiser I feel almost naked )

I hope the bank balance allows you to enjoy them to the full.

Mike

DarkPenguin

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:15:47 pm »

I'd recommend a good headphone amp to go with those.  Nothing less than a McIntosh for sure ...

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=headphoneamplifiers&ProductId=MHA100

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 08:54:07 am »

I'd recommend a good headphone amp to go with those.  Nothing less than a McIntosh for sure ...

I inherited a really nice Mytek DAC / amp from work.  I think the retail is over a thousand dollars, so it should work!

DarkPenguin

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 02:16:15 pm »

Is it a 26lb 50 watt per channel headphone amp?  I think not!

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 02:46:18 pm »

That McIntosh is crazy, but.... not nearly as crazy as this one :-D

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/orpheus

Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

DarkPenguin

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »

That's like a $35k setup I think.

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2015, 04:21:25 pm »

Nopes... $55k it is  ::) ::) ::)

That's like a $35k setup I think.
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 11:11:36 pm »

I know how to play this game. It's how to spend Matt's money.  ;D
Superstar developers make a lot of money. So I know you can do this.   ;D

The HD800 is an amazing headphone. It's also a headphone that will cause you to get picky about DACs and amps. The HD800 can change character based on the amp and DAC. Some amps and DACs can get the HD800 to sound smooth and full. Some amps and DACs will cause the HD800 to thinner with more of a treble emphasis. Some amps can get the HD800 to sound aggressive. Some can get the HD800 to sound smoothly relaxing. It all depends on what sort of sound you're after and what amp and DAC you choose.

Two setups I'd suggest:

Decware Taboo MKIII amp
Schiit Gungnir Multibit or Schiit Yggdrasil multibit DAC
This setup will have a huge headstage that is deep. Smooth sound. Smooth sound and a deep soundstage. Incredibly awesome. This is the setup I'd buy for myself if I didn't already have a different amp.

Schiit Ragnarok amp
Schiit Gungnir Multibit or Schiit Yggdrasil multibit DAC
This setup will be more energetic. More energy in the sound for rock music. But a flatter less deep headstage and soundstage.

Both setups will need the HD800 to be used with a balanced headphone cable for the best sound.

Best suggestion though would be to have JRiver host a Head-Fi meet. Then people will bring amps and DACs to the JRiver HQ for Matt to try. Listen to a bunch of amps and DACs with the HD800. Find a combo that sounds awesome.

My own setup is a Cavalli Liquid Fire amp and a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. Along with Audeze LCD-2.2, Senn HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00, HiFiMan HE-560 headphones and a few others. I'm planning on buying the HD800S model when the new "S" version is released.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2015, 03:28:11 pm »

just recently we made a comparison of various headphones among them the HD800.

I noticed that the HD800 is very uncritical, a good DAC and Headphone amp is okay. Can be a cheap one (low noiise , lo distortion, low IM) as long as voltage swing is okay.

One thing it must have, since the headphones have 300Ohm, the output voltage swing must be enough high.
HD800 has
-90dB SPL 0.254VRMS
-110dB SPL 2.54VRMS
-116dB SPL 5.1VRMS
-119dB SPL 7.2VRMS
-130dBSPL 25.4VRMS aua! (I do not know if HD800 can do this?) got no info on manufacturer site about it

Some DAC for low impedance headphones, which are otherwise great would not give high volumes (like iFi iCan nano DAC's for example, max 3.3V!, but iFi micro iDSD >10V=ca.123dB SPL).
Another DAC AMP: Marantz HD-DAC1: here no way to see from specs whats going on. Either measure or try or just forget
RME Fireface UFX, I use: Headphone +17dBu=5.4VRMS approx 116dB SPL, symmetric out: 24dBu approx 123dB SPL

I see no need for symmetric cables.

We tested besides HD800
Beyer Dynamic DT880S (old form 20 years ago)
STAX SR404 (SRM-717 amp)
STAX SR009 (SRM-717 amp), this phoen has higher efficiency at least 3dB, very noticeable compares to SR404

You will note a huge difference of the phones depending on the phone at the same DAC, same amp (STAX need his amp though), same volume.
Amp and DAC and cables are just nowhere in differnence of sound (in price, yes there is a huge difference...)

So buy the "best headphone" and save on DAC and amp and cables...

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 03:40:08 pm »

to add, yes the HD800 is one of the best. Sound is more distant. Presence less pronounced
The Stax SR009 SR404 as well, is warmer and presence more pronounded, Sound is closer

The old Beyer (old DT880s Studio) is not as good, overly pronounced highs, not so clear

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 12:16:28 am »

I have two set of HD800,

they sound great through both Mytek and m920

but they really really shine through something like Violectric HPA V200... really good dedicated amp makes a lot of difference

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600223/review-violectric-hpa-v200
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 12:05:18 am »

Bumping this thread because I just noticed that some Minneapolis area folks are looking for a place to host a headphone meet. Hosting a meet would be a brilliant way to get people to bring headphone gear to you for you to get to try. It would also be an opportunity to demo and expose those people to what JRiver Media Center can do. Meets are a super valuable way for headphone enthusiasts to get to hear different gear. Meets are also a valuable way for audio companies to demo their wares to enthusiasts.

I don't know what kind of space JRiver has available in their building other than it use to be a machining shop. A meet space needs plenty of convenient power outlets so people can plug in their gear. Enough tables and space for people to set up their gear. And enough space to fit the number of people that attend.

Here's the head-fi thread by the Minneapolis area folks who are trying to organize a meet: http://www.head-fi.org/t/287325/minneapolis-meet/345

Hilton

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 11:03:49 am »

Hi @Matt !

I have recently fallen in love again with my HD600 but now have the upgrade bug too! (playing from the Pi with FiiO E09K/E17)

The new HD800S is out and I think I'd like to dive into a Mytek Brooklyn DAC with the ESS Sabre 9018K2M.

How's the HD800 sound with your Mytek? (192 I presume?)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2016, 11:10:37 am »

How's the HD800 sound with your Mytek? (192 I presume?)

I absolutely love it.  I want to be cremated in these headphones :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up