INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After reboot, audio device changes...why?  (Read 2268 times)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
After reboot, audio device changes...why?
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:41:41 pm »

I am using the WDM driver.  I have an LG 4k TV connected via HDMI.  Everything will work fine for days, even after turning the TV off, etc...BUT, if I reboot the PC, MC20 changes it's audio output from the WASAPI driver for the LG via HDMI to the HD WASAPI driver, thus I get no sound.

I don't think the WDM driver has anything to do with this, because even if I set Windows to the Nvidia Driver, when I reboot, MC still reverts to the HD Audio out.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?  Even a script that I can run on MC20 start to set the correct output (IE: is there a MCC command that can specify the correct output)?

Re: After reboot, audio device changes...why?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:34:57 am »

Are you using different Zones for each device, or is it a single Zone where the output device is being changed?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:05:03 am »

What if you go into Windows Sound properties and disable the HD driver so it's no longer available?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:54 am »

single zone...I will try disabling the HD device and see what happens...

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:36:05 am »

I have this issue as well.  I assumed it was because Windows wants to find an audio output when it boots up.  MC must not be open when it does that, so it falls back to something else.  Every time I reboot, or install an update, my default audio device changes.  For me it changes to my DAC, which is confusing because sound still comes out, but the remotes don't work.  Usually takes me a few times cursing at my remote to figure out what happened...

If I disable all other audio devices (including the DAC), I assume MC won't see it though?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:48:44 am »

The default device changes on updates because MC re-installs the WDM driver on each update.  The devs took a crack at resolving it, but it seems to be something intrinsic in windows.  I see a device change on every update (either to or away from the WDM driver), so that's a "known issue."

The device changing on reboot is an issue I haven't personally seen, or seen reported outside of this thread (unless MC is installing an update automatically during a reboot?), so I'd work on isolating that issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:49:06 am »

Try setting MC to run Media Server on Windows startup.  It's under Options > Startup.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:54:13 am »

I have this issue as well.  I assumed it was because Windows wants to find an audio output when it boots up.  MC must not be open when it does that, so it falls back to something else.  Every time I reboot, or install an update, my default audio device changes.  For me it changes to my DAC, which is confusing because sound still comes out, but the remotes don't work.  Usually takes me a few times cursing at my remote to figure out what happened...

If I disable all other audio devices (including the DAC), I assume MC won't see it though?
I believe this is a different issue than what I am seeing.  My Windows device is fine, it is the audio output inside MC20 that is changing, not the default audio device in Windows.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 10:58:37 am »

I believe this is a different issue than what I am seeing.  My Windows device is fine, it is the audio output inside MC20 that is changing, not the default audio device in Windows.

Ah, yes, you are correct.  I thought you were referring to the Windows default.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 11:13:27 am »

I am using the WDM driver.  I have an LG 4k TV connected via HDMI.  Everything will work fine for days, even after turning the TV off, etc...BUT, if I reboot the PC, MC20 changes it's audio output from the WASAPI driver for the LG via HDMI to the HD WASAPI driver, thus I get no sound.

I don't think the WDM driver has anything to do with this, because even if I set Windows to the Nvidia Driver, when I reboot, MC still reverts to the HD Audio out.

My experience is that this happens whenever MC tries to play to a device that isn't there for any reason.  I have a USB DAC that my laptop is only sometimes plugged into.  I have two zones, one configured to use the DAC and one configured to use the laptop speakers.  If I accidentally try to play in the DAC zone when the DAC is disconnected, MC does not always give an error, it usually just quietly switches to another available output (normally the laptop speakers).  If, having played to the DAC zone with the DAC disconnected, I plug the DAC back in, MC is still set to output to the laptop speakers in both zones.  By contrast, if I don't play anything to the DAC zone while the DAC is disconnected, when I plug the DAC back in, MC is still correctly configured to play to the DAC.

In your case, I would guess that what's happening is that maybe the TV is off/not detected during the reboot so is not detected correctly?  Then when MC tries to play it just quietly changes to another output.  Maybe try rebooting with the TV on the entire time and see what happens?  

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:04 am »

yeah, this is the only display connected to the PC, and I do typically have it on while rebooting.

I will double check this tonight when I get home though.

Oh, and I don't have Media Server set to run on startup, so the first time MC20 would try to play audio, the TV would for sure be on, as I wouldn't even launch MC until it is on.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:43 pm »

so this is interesting...I disabled all the sound outputs in Windows except the HDMI connection (and the WDM driver).  So now when I boot, MC20 still doesn't work, but if I go into settings, and check the audio output, it is correctly set to the HDMI out, but I have to reselect it, and save settings, and then everything works.  I don't get it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up