INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AAC Support?  (Read 2773 times)

lunarworks

AAC Support?
« on: September 29, 2003, 01:48:56 pm »

Just out of curiousity, are you planning to implement AAC support into Media Center?

I have a few CDs ripped into AAC format, and currently the only app that plays them back is Winamp.

StoneRoses

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: AAC Support?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 11:49:54 pm »

From what I've known, there is no plan for AAC support.
>:(

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 02:38:57 am »

From what I've known, there is no plan for AAC support.
>:(

Ever?  How can that be with AAC rapidly becoming such a standard with Apple?

Larry

lOth

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 05:22:45 am »

StoneRoses

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 07:55:28 am »

lOth,

I don't consider the fact that MC9 be able to playback aac file through 3rd party directshow filter "AAC support".   Every media player that use directshow filter to playback media file can do the same thing.

For me, MC9 is not just the media player, it ismore like media library. (that's why it call media center) MC9 can't tag aac files or even read the tag and it won't let you upload aac files to your portable. (e.g. Apple iPod)

Read this thread:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1062274480;start=3#3
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1063659497;start=11#11

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 08:16:54 am »

I think that the issue is cost.  It's a feature that probably isn't in too great demand at the moment.  

It may well be in a year or two, so it can be added then.  

kiwi

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 11:46:50 am »

But the problem with that is by that time it'll be too late--iTunes for windows will be out  (probably free to ipod users), and not too many will IMHO switch to MC9 if MC9 gets AAC support 2 years after Itunes for windows is out...

And AAC is huge for ipod users--already 10 million downloads from the iTunes music store--and that's Macpods only.  There are substantially more Winpods than Macpods;  the numbers are going to go through the roof once Itunes for Windows comes out.  And then ipodders are going to have to make a choice between MC9, and it's more robust features, or Itunes and AAC and the Itunes music store...

I don't know how much of MC9's business is tied into the ipod; it might not be worth supporting AAC because this may represent a relatively small number of MC9 users.  For me, it doesn't matter, I'll stick with MC9--I have mp3 players in my car, my ipod, my stereo--not going to mess around with AAC...Hopefully, a good mp3 or even better, .wav based online music store will be available soon; if so, then AAC won't be as big of an issue.  But presently, most of the online music stores seem to be pushing WMA, which isn't supported by the ipod....

lOth

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 03:21:53 pm »

I don't consider the fact that MC9 be able to playback aac file through 3rd party directshow filter "AAC support".  

Sorry, I was just trying to help.  :-[

StoneRoses

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 03:46:37 am »

lOth,
I appreciated your good intention, but I need to point out what MC9 currently lacks.

When iTunes for Windows come out, I expect significant portion of ipoders that currently use MC9 will switch to iTunes (for portable music management). And ipod users that haven't own MC9 will not consider MC9 as an ipod management application anymore. iTunes is surely not a crap like MusicMatch JB.

For people that never tried AAC,
AAC is amazing lossy codec ~192kbps AAC is nearly transparent to CD in most case.

If the quality is your priority, you sould try it.

MachineHead

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2003, 03:20:14 pm »

AAC is amazing lossy codec ~192kbps AAC is nearly transparent to CD in most case.

You could probably go lower (64 kbps anyone?) and still have transparent files.

lOth

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2003, 05:51:24 pm »

Just played an mp3 at 64 kbps in MC with PixOs mini-me skin, always on top, inactive transparent : IT WORKS!   ;)

StoneRoses

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2003, 09:18:09 pm »

64kbps AAC-HE (High Efficency) may sounds like WMA9 @80kbps or close to LAME MP3 @ 96kbps, but I want something better. :) At least I use ~192kbps for MP3 (LAME --alt-preset standard) and ~160kbps for AAC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up